Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Morgan Schneiderlin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nonsense. That doesn't stack up. It doesn't account for the fact that Everton this season are one of only three clubs outside the financial elite clubs to spend 20 odd million on players - the others being Leicester with Slimani and Palace with Benteke.

This is not the going rate. The bulk of PL clubs this season are paying fees between £10M and £20M for their most expensive purchases.

As said, we have a manager who wants to get to the front of the queue to get his preferred players in and that is costing us an awful lot more than we should be paying.

Given we turned down 16 million from a championship club for McCarthy, how much would you say Schneiderlin should have gone for?

I'm broadly on board with you that he wasn't an essential purchase. I'm not sure he was valued unfairly though.

Given we turned down 16 million from a championship club for McCarthy, how much would you say Schneiderlin should have gone for?

I'm broadly on board with you that he wasn't an essential purchase. I'm not sure he was valued unfairly though.
Take a step back from the McCarthy debate, because there is some utter drivel being talked about that players ability or lack of it. He's proven of late that when fit he has a role to play here. Imo there shouldn't be too much between those players in terms of market value: one has been plagued by injuries, which I suppose makes him less marketable than the other...although being a spare arse part at United hardly makes you more bankable either.

I would value McCarthy because of his time out at no more than the £16M quoted and Schneiderlin - pushing it to the maximum - at £17M/£18M. There will be no sell on from Schneiderlin worth talking about.

Take a step back from the McCarthy debate, because there is some utter drivel being talked about that players ability or lack of it. He's proven of late that when fit he has a role to play here. Imo there shouldn't be too much between those players in terms of market value: one has been plagued by injuries, which I suppose makes him less marketable than the other...although being a spare arse part at United hardly makes you more bankable either.

I would value McCarthy because of his time out at no more than the £16M quoted and Schneiderlin - pushing it to the maximum - at £17M/£18M. There will be no sell on from Schneiderlin worth talking about.
One of them is a lot better than the other though.

Nonsense. That doesn't stack up. It doesn't account for the fact that Everton this season are one of only three clubs outside the financial elite clubs to spend 20 odd million on players - the others being Leicester with Slimani and Palace with Benteke.

This is not the going rate. The bulk of PL clubs this season are paying fees between £10M and £20M for their most expensive purchases.

As said, we have a manager who wants to get to the front of the queue to get his preferred players in and that is costing us an awful lot more than we should be paying.

And this is a somehow a bad thing then? I see.....

All of this boils down to you thinking that you know better than Koeman with regards to Schneiderlin. We paid the going rate for that player - fact. Had WBA not been our rivals for him then we might have been able to play the waiting game until the end of the window and shave a £m or so off the price paid, but the market dictated the price.

Robbie Brady - went for £13m, yes that's Robbie Brady.....

Palace paid £14m for Van Arnolt ffs.

Snodgrass at 29 with 6 months left on his contract went for £10m.....

You're trying to compare the prices of a couple of years back with todays bloated new TV deal era fees.

In any case, Schneiderlin will prove to be a boss player for Everton, so seriously, who cares?

I agree with you on McCarthy and he's a decent players. Would you have sold for 16 million?

I look at lads like Robbie Brady going for 13 million and feel the fee is ok. The issue is how do we fit all players in.

There is an issue of sell on but we wouldn't be able to sign players of Schneiderlins ability who would have a sell on value. That's the catch 22 we are in.

...I agree about McCarthy's injury record being a potential problem. He's playing flat out because he has to, it will be a test for those hamstrings. McCarthy is in demand because he is very effective when fit but I don't for one minute think he's got the dimension to his game that Schneiderlin has. He is a much better footballer than McCarthy, just watch him receive the ball on the spin and his range of passes.

...I agree about McCarthy's injury record being a potential problem. He's playing flat out because he has to, it will be a test for those hamstrings. McCarthy is in demand because he is very effective when fit but I don't for one minute think he's got the dimension to his game that Schneiderlin has. He is a much better footballer than McCarthy, just watch him receive the ball on the spin and his range of passes.

Just listen to @Eggs about actual footballers would be my advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back