Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Moyes Potential Replacement

Who do you want? - being realistic

• Roberto Martinez

Votes: 221 13.8%
  • Vitor Pereira

Votes: 594 37.2%
  • Neil Lennon

Votes: 40 2.5%
  • Di Matteo

Votes: 58 3.6%
  • Slaven Bilic

Votes: 73 4.6%
  • Michael Laudrup

Votes: 410 25.7%
  • Malky Mackay

Votes: 33 2.1%
  • From within the club

Votes: 60 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 108 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say so yes, he ain't ever going to be able to sign a Fellaini, mirallas, Jags, even a Gibson, distin, pienaar or jelavic at Wigan. So based on wigan's attraction to players bringing people in like like McCarthy kone Mosses, N'zogbia, mcmanaman, Maloney ect.... We're all good signings for Wigan.

Obviously he would need to step up the quality coming in here but he will be able to choose from a lot bigger pool of better quality.

Yes Martinez knows the Prem really well in the sense of delivering poor results, flirting relegation every year before finally running out of luck.

This season gone QPR were riddled with issues and Reading were very poor (still annoys me our games against them) so Wigan only had to do better than the rest to avoid that last relegation spot and they failed.

Can talk up certain Martinez qualities but in respect of the Premier League it is absolutely shocking.

Really don't understand the ignoring of the salient point in all this Wigan aren't a Prem club unless money is thrown at them.

After Jewell and Bruce, Dave "leggy" Whelan not only stopped it but sold off the best players each year and reduced the wages imo Martinez deserves credit for not reverting to the Mcarthy/Allardyce/Mcleish default all of which have flirted with and been involved in relegation sides.

Speak to Wigan fans and they'll tell you the revamp he's done playing proper football providing a culture to serve the club for the future just as he did at Swansea, to win stuff and not just survive on finance they don't have. The youth system has been transformed with the result one of our youth rejects is lighting up the Prem, how people can't see we could benefit from that is short sighted in the extreme.

Everton really shouldn't be compared with Wigan I have to bite my lip when fans don't see the difference, coming to us with an attacking mindset married to our defensive strength and making better use of our youth system seems a match made in heaven.

He's on our doorstep, knows the english game is clearly a loyal and decent man to attack him on Wigan's predictable demise and ignore his fantastic cup triumph and revolutionary Swansea work is madness.

I was listening to a journalist on Talksport earlier this morning.
He said that although Martinez is favourite that Bill Kenwright was massively impressed with the blueprint that
Rangnick set out for the future of the club.It involved important roles for men like Stubbs and Weir at least and possibly others as well.
Bill Kenwright does not want to undo the work that David Moyes has accomplished but wants to add to it and build on it.

I think that it largely depends on what the manager sees as the future of the club.If Martinez were to say that he wanted to change everything and bring his own staff with him I think that would lose the job for him.

I know that I have talking about the German link since this thread started but I do think David Moyes is being listened to by Bill Kenwright and we know he likes the German system and regards men like Stubbs/Weir /Ferguson/Neville very highly.

I think the delay in recruiting at Utd to replace the people already let go is waiting to see who gets what at Everton under the new manager.

I surprised that some of you don’t realized what a hard job Martinez had with wigan and the resources he had to work with. His wage bill is something like for 2011/2012 was 38 million a year compared to Everton which isaround 63 million, that is a hell of a lot, his rivals such as Villa is 70million and Sunderland is 64 million. This year Martinez had spent 9 millionand received 11 million where his rivals such as Norwich spend 9 million and received less than half a million. Newcastle is -15 million while Sunderland is-20 million, are you all saying that Martinez should still have kept Wigan up. Villa net spend is -21 million while Martinez made 2 million PROFIT. PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY WIGAN SHOULD HAVE STAYEDUP?

Last edited:
It was inevitable wigan would go down eventually whoever he manager was. The club just isn't big enough to sustain pl football.

if Ragnick is so good why hasn't he got a German club? He has. he's director of football for Salzburg. Why hasn't Martinez got a club? Because he didn't want to manage Wigan in the second division where his skillful management left them.

eems to me he has past his sell by date in Germany as many managers have in this country, Alex Mcleish, Owen Coyle, Alan Curbishley to name a few, surely someone in this category is not good enough for Everton? There's several assumptions within this statement, as well as a straw man argument. Comparisons are spurious. Neither of the above names had the success that Rangnick has had (I can only go on published figures, I don't know this manager any more than most). His recent clubs have been promoted. Most recently he took Schalke to second in the bundesliga and a semi final of the champions league. Don't remember Owen Coyle doing that.

Just because he's German... As the English are well known Germanophiles.

Why is Martinez the sensible choice? Why won't we deteriorate under Martinez? Why did Wigan? (a club of similar financial resources- and before you cite our improved squad, don't forget the manager is the most important facet. Newcastle's squad was top notch this season, but I knew they'd struggle as they had a clueless manager)? Paul Jewell did a better job. Why don't we appoint him?
Good points. I will add one to your "why hasn't Martinez got a club" point though.

It's apparently because he doesn't "feel equipped to get them back up"

Brilliant!!

Last edited:
It was inevitable wigan would go down eventually whoever he manager was. The club just isn't big enough to sustain pl football.
Again, the Wigan squad contained enough good players to have stayed up. A manager worth his salt would have done just that.

Crikey the way some are talking you'd think poor old Robbie had a squad full of part time carpenters!

I surprised that some of you don’t realized what a hard job Martinez had with wigan and the resources he had to work with. His wage bill is something like for 2011/2012 was 38 million a year compared to Everton which isaround 63 million, that is a hell of a lot, his rivals such as Villa is 70million and Sunderland is 64 million. This year Martinez had spent 9 millionand received 11 million where his rivals such as Norwich spend 9 million and received less than half a million. Newcastle is -15 million while Sunderland is-20 million, are you all saying that Martinez should still have kept Wigan up. Villa net spend is -21 million while Martinez made 2 million PROFIT. PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY WIGAN SHOULD HAVE STAYEDUP?

Great points.

I don't understand how people justify claiming Moyes is a great manager by dint of circumstance rather than the usual - trophies won - yet circumstance is ignored when a managers club is relegated, they got relegated ergo he's a tool!

Nonsense. What about the players he DID have? Are Kone, McManaman, Maloney, McCarthy and Mcarthur not decent players? Where was the Wigan that were outstanding at Goodison in the cup, and outstanding in the cup final against Manchester City, all season?

The people coming on here and justifying their relegation because he had a ****e squad to work with cuts no ice with me. It's nowhere near as bad as some are making out. It's certainly a better squad than Norwich' who managed to stay up.

The fact is, Martinez didn't get the best out of that squad on enough occasions. Getting them up for a cup final alone is not good enough.

Did you never make a mistake serving your time mate? It will all stand him in good stead

Were there any other teams had similar wage bill but yet can stay up?

And even he has more to spend, it does not mean he will authomatically do well. Some of you just teating him like a management god.

Nonsense. What about the players he DID have? Are Kone, McManaman, Maloney, McCarthy and Mcarthur not decent players? Where was the Wigan that were outstanding at Goodison in the cup, and outstanding in the cup final against Manchester City, all season?

The people coming on here and justifying their relegation because he had a ****e squad to work with cuts no ice with me. It's nowhere near as bad as some are making out. It's certainly a better squad than Norwich' who managed to stay up.

The fact is, Martinez didn't get the best out of that squad on enough occasions. Getting them up for a cup final alone is not good enough.

Got to say I have to agree a little here. Martinez has to take some blame for wigan's relegation. I'd put that down to his style of play not being suitable for a small club batterling relegation. Suppose nearly all his back line being injured most the season didn't help either.

I think it's different with us. We have better players allowing for that style of play without a worry of relegation. Our quality will prevail in most games whoever's in charge.

You can't compare IMO him managing Wigan with his footballing style to managing Everton the same way. Jags isn't going to all of a sudden along with distin become rubbish making 17 mistakes thru a season...ect...

Somebody like Martinez shouldn't be managing Wigan. It's a battle to get points, beg steal and borrow... Fits perfectly with people like warnock, allaydice ect

Were there any other teams had similar wage bill but yet can stay up?

And even he has more to spend, it does not mean he will authomatically do well. Some of you just teating him like a management god.

Who has treated him like a management god? You talk very little sense mate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back