Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Moyes Potential Replacement

Who do you want? - being realistic

• Roberto Martinez

Votes: 221 13.8%
  • Vitor Pereira

Votes: 594 37.2%
  • Neil Lennon

Votes: 40 2.5%
  • Di Matteo

Votes: 58 3.6%
  • Slaven Bilic

Votes: 73 4.6%
  • Michael Laudrup

Votes: 410 25.7%
  • Malky Mackay

Votes: 33 2.1%
  • From within the club

Votes: 60 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 108 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good arguements for all candidates here, but for me I keep coming back to the fact Martinez is 39! Yes he ran out luck last season but he's quite a way ahead of the 39 year old Moyes who turned up 11 years ago.

Yes his teams have performed erratically in league positions and ran out luck last season, that was unfortunate as he finally seems to have gotten his head around the importance of scouting. That squad that went down had a handful of players who were impressing people last season, I can't remember that from a Wigan squad, well, ever.

Add the amount of experience he has already with the nucleus of the playing staff we already have and it just seems like it could work.

Martinez says he is not good enough to take a team out of the Championship.

If he is not good enough to do that then he is not good enough to take us into the CL.

Who has treated him like a management god? You talk very little sense mate

Some of you argue that he is better than Moyes because he won the cup. And Moyes is now manging the biggest club in the world.

You just assume he will do better at Everton because he has better players but that is just papertalk.

If he is not good enough to do that then he is not good enough to take us into the CL.
That statement alone should have set alarm bells ringing!

Shocking tripe to come out with.

Again, the Wigan squad contained enough good players to have stayed up. A manager worth his salt would have done just that.

Crikey the way some are talking you'd think poor old Robbie had a squad full of part time carpenters!

I think the point you overlook is he went a different way for the long term benefit of the club, the Mcarthy's of this world play the usual everyone back long ball survival stuff which gives you a Wolves/ Birmingham dead in the water club.

I admire Martinez for his bravery the longer term will judge if his Wigan foundations provide the same success as at Swansea but don't forget it takes time particularly if you can't buy.

Were there any other teams had similar wage bill but yet can stay up?

And even he has more to spend, it does not mean he will authomatically do well. Some of you just teating him like a management god.
Swansea and Norwich, Swansea is 35 million, and Norwich is 37 million.
Norwich had the same spending money as 9.5 million but only received less then half a million. Swansea made a profit of 10 million. Why am I treating him like a god, i'm just pointing out the facts on the resources he had to work it and it shows why Wigan went down rather then the Manager.

Stand him in good stead? Is this the type of candidate we now pursue to manage our Football club?

Deary me sad sad times.

Who would you suggest then boss?

Don't give it deary me and patronise my opinion because you disagree. You wouldn't do it to me in the alehouse so don't do it on here

Don't get me wrong, I like the chap and would support him if appointed, but there's something about him not wanting to take some responsibility in getting Wigan back up that irks

To those who say Martinez will bring attractive continental football to Goodison Park: how attractive do you find watching Everton get beat? I don't know about you but I feel like I've been kicked in the balls when the opposition scores. I'd get used to it if Martinez comes in. His defensive record is shocking.

Far too many people giving players credit but players need discipline, strategy, teamwork, excellence. A good manager would've done better than Martinez did at Wigan. It's as simple as that.

He would be the undoing of the good work of the last ten (admittedly woeful in terms of silverware) years.

Presumably either Ralf or Vitor are Moyes' recommendations. We'd be wise to listen to what he has to say.

None of us will know why he left or what he believes in. We cant judge him on that cos Managers seem to be leaving Swansea after a couple of seasons, Landrup will go next year. Why pick that line out? why not look at the work he done at Swansea

Some of you argue that he is better than Moyes because he won the cup. And Moyes is now manging the biggest club in the world.

You just assume he will do better at Everton because he has better players but that is just papertalk.

Fücking this.

Swansea and Norwich, Swansea is 35 million, and Norwich is 37 million.
Norwich had the same spending money as 9.5 million but only received less then half a million. Swansea made a profit of 10 million. Why am I treating him like a god, i'm just pointing out the facts on the resources he had to work it and it shows why Wigan went down rather then the Manager.

Good info.

And I actually mean were there other teams in PL in the past had similar finance as Wigan but yet stay up. There must be quite a few in the past 10 years. I just can't be arsed to search.

None of us will know why he left or what he believes in. We cant judge him on that cos Managers seem to be leaving Swansea after a couple of seasons, Landrup will go next year. Why pick that line out? why not look at the work he done at Swansea

apart from his press statement which says why, like.

I have read most of this thread mate and no one has said that. Many, including myself, just didn't rate Moyes as highly as others do.

The source is the S**, so I apologise in advance but.....

RALF RANGNICK has played a trump card in his bid to become Everton boss.

The German, currently sporting director at Red Bull Salzburg in Austria, went down a storm with Bill Kenwright when he was interviewed by the Goodison supremo on Thursday.

Rangnick, 54, said he would be happy to have Everton coaches Alan Stubbs or David Weir as his No 2 — or see recently-departed skipper Phil Neville fast-tracked into the role.

All three were interviewed for the position but Kenwright is wary of appointing someone with no management experience.

Giving Rangnick the job would solve two problems for Kenwright, and so he is a serious contender after Roberto Martinez looked nailed on.

The Spaniard told Wigan he wanted to leave — after Kenwright had asked Latics owner Dave Whelan for permission to talk to him — and met the Blues’ top man a week ago.

Meanwhile, Whelan claims up to 50 bosses have applied for the Wigan manager’s job. But the Latics chairman will not interview anyone until Martinez’s future is resolved.

Whelan said: “Roberto is still our manager and we’re waiting on Everton to say they want him.”

It's in a few rags this morning that Rangnick as well impressed Kenwright with his ideas, some even saying on a scale of what Moyes did back in the day?!. A few journos and the likes of Vinny O'Connor & Alan Myers of SSN (and with Everton links) said similar things the other day so they cant all be going off each other, someone must have inside info?!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back