Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Moyes Potential Replacement

Who do you want? - being realistic

• Roberto Martinez

Votes: 221 13.8%
  • Vitor Pereira

Votes: 594 37.2%
  • Neil Lennon

Votes: 40 2.5%
  • Di Matteo

Votes: 58 3.6%
  • Slaven Bilic

Votes: 73 4.6%
  • Michael Laudrup

Votes: 410 25.7%
  • Malky Mackay

Votes: 33 2.1%
  • From within the club

Votes: 60 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 108 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Like most on here, I've followed this merry-go-round with a daily intensity since the Everton job was vacated by Mr Moist. If you all don't mind, I would like to give my humble opinion. Now lets all be honest, a large percentage of Evertonians don't really know anything about Vitor or Ralph, except that they are what I would call 'exotic' candidates. There is a lot of guesswork involved with these two when it comes establishing if they would be any good. Evertonians are born 'romantics' so Vitor and Ralph fit the bill perfectly. I myself have enjoyed a moment or two of daydreaming about Vitor leading us to glory.

When I look at the cold hard facts regarding these two, I don't see them being the right man for the job, especially Vitor. In my humble opinion, Everton need a manager who will continue the work of the last 11 years, someone who will not 'rock the boat'. We are a steady ship, built on stability. I don't have any faith in Vitor or Ralph with regards to this. They have no reputation to be shot at in this country, so if it goes wrong, they can head back to Portugal/Germany and carry on where they left off. I would rather have a manager who understands the area, the club, the premier league. A manager who has built his reputation in this country, and cares enough about it. These factors played a big part in Man United's decision to appoint Moyes. Also, think of this: Manu have just appointed a manager who has won nothing in the top flight. That is a big deal for a club like ManU.

Now that all the romantic notions of Vitor and Ralph have left me, I can see Martinez as a perfect man for our club. First and foremost, Martinez didn't mastermind Wigans victory over Everton. The reason we lost that game had more to do with Phil Neville than Martinez's tactics. Having said that, his Wigan side exploited our glaring weakness on that day. I'll tell you what I like about Martinez, and there are many positives. He is young and hungry, he already has a lot of premier league experience, he can handle pressure, by nature he is very positive, he knows the area, he knows EFC and what we are about, his players fight for him, he doesn't bottle it, he can work with small budgets, he is liked and well respected in this country, our players already know him and his style of football is suited to what we like to see. And, he will get better as a manager. He will be coming to a club that has strong foundations and stability. I believe Martinez will flourish at Everton. I'm 41, I seen a lot of Everton since I got my first season ticket for the upper bullens in 1977. My point is, if Martinez comes in, then let's get behind him because it will bring out the best in Martinez.

Martinez has been tipped for the Everton job for many months, way before Moyes was confirmed as SAF successor
nice post. lots to think about here. the only thing that is certain is that whoever comes in will thrive only with support of fans and players and a slice of luck. I think Kenwright should be doing as much as he can to ensure that whoever comes in cannot leave us in the mess some managers have in the past, and after that I hope some of the caution of recent seasons is avoided. the first part Kenwright has a lot of control over, the second is something we can only hope for. it would take a lot to completely [Poor language removed] this club up and whoever is appointed I would put a fortune if I had it on us finishing top7,, we are probably in a more stable position than 86/7 when the squad was even thinner and under threat of depletion, but there are egos out there that can inspire now and again but screw up the most promising of teams. I have major doubts about Martinez but can see his strengths and if it is to be him then lets hope Kenwright has done his job and told him what is expected, then its up to the players, the fans and maybe even to a lesser extent the manager. as you say, lets get the best out of whoever comes in and more importantly whoever wears the blue shirt

Last edited by a moderator:
Like most on here, I've followed this merry-go-round with a daily intensity since the Everton job was vacated by Mr Moist. If you all don't mind, I would like to give my humble opinion. Now lets all be honest, a large percentage of Evertonians don't really know anything about Vitor or Ralph, except that they are what I would call 'exotic' candidates. There is a lot of guesswork involved with these two when it comes establishing if they would be any good. Evertonians are born 'romantics' so Vitor and Ralph fit the bill perfectly. I myself have enjoyed a moment or two of daydreaming about Vitor leading us to glory.

When I look at the cold hard facts regarding these two, I don't see them being the right man for the job, especially Vitor. In my humble opinion, Everton need a manager who will continue the work of the last 11 years, someone who will not 'rock the boat'. We are a steady ship, built on stability. I don't have any faith in Vitor or Ralph with regards to this. They have no reputation to be shot at in this country, so if it goes wrong, they can head back to Portugal/Germany and carry on where they left off. I would rather have a manager who understands the area, the club, the premier league. A manager who has built his reputation in this country, and cares enough about it. These factors played a big part in Man United's decision to appoint Moyes. Also, think of this: Manu have just appointed a manager who has won nothing in the top flight. That is a big deal for a club like ManU.

Now that all the romantic notions of Vitor and Ralph have left me, I can see Martinez as a perfect man for our club. First and foremost, Martinez didn't mastermind Wigans victory over Everton. The reason we lost that game had more to do with Phil Neville than Martinez's tactics. Having said that, his Wigan side exploited our glaring weakness on that day. I'll tell you what I like about Martinez, and there are many positives. He is young and hungry, he already has a lot of premier league experience, he can handle pressure, by nature he is very positive, he knows the area, he knows EFC and what we are about, his players fight for him, he doesn't bottle it, he can work with small budgets, he is liked and well respected in this country, our players already know him and his style of football is suited to what we like to see. And, he will get better as a manager. He will be coming to a club that has strong foundations and stability. I believe Martinez will flourish at Everton. I'm 41, I seen a lot of Everton since I got my first season ticket for the upper bullens in 1977. My point is, if Martinez comes in, then let's get behind him because it will bring out the best in Martinez.

Martinez has been tipped for the Everton job for many months, way before Moyes was confirmed as SAF successor
Excellent post which rationalises your view point. Its annoying to read through so much turgid nonsense to find a gem like this!

I'm getting a nagging feeing that Bill's inability to think straight or make a decision will cost us

...my fear too. He seems incresingly confused and whilst we want him to get the right man this is dragging on. Moyes announced he was leaving with a few weeks of the season left and I'd like the new man to be dipping into the market asap.

A lot of writing, but - just for starters: Premier League experience is vastly overrated. And you don't know if he will get better as manager, 39 years old Mark Hughes - based on results and credentials - was much superior to 49 years old Mark Hughes (or how old is he these days). You also don't know if Martinez can handle pressure, as there was no pressure at Wigan comparing to Everton. And you don't know if he's hungry, as it doesn't have to go in common with him being young. Etc...

I am not against Martinez, but a lot of things you had written can go both ways. And you brought all the negativity regarding Vitor and Rangnick, and all the positives for Martinez.

PS. Apology, if my post would look too much as confrontation - didn't want to look like this. Wish more members here would put their opinions in the way you did.

Last edited:
The truth......

Great post by crustysack with out doubt the best post in this thread and I couldn't agree more with him

clearly crusty sack's post was the head ruling the heart and I think the likely outcome personally. Though it has to be said that Rangnick looks like an Everton manager! Vitoria looks like a Wigan manager or Citeh. So presenting the atithesis to Crustysack I would go for Rangnick.

BUT please don't let it be someone stupid like 'Arry or Solskaer - no rush of blood to the head please Bill!

A lot of writing, but - just for starters: Premier League experience is vastly overrated. And you don't know if he will get better as manager, 39 years old Mark Hughes - based on results and credentials - was much superior to 49 years old Mark Hughes (or how old is he these days). You also don't know if Martinez can handle pressure, as there was no pressure at Wigan comparing to Everton. And you don't know if he's hungry, as it doesn't have to go in common with him being young. Etc...

I am not against Martinez, but a lot of things you had written can go both ways. And you brought all the negativity regarding Vitor and Rangnick, and all the positives for Martinez.

PS. Apology, if my post would look too much as confrontation - didn't want to look like this. Wish more members here would put their opinions in the way you did.

I agree with your points, but think the main thing I took from original post is its soon time to start looking at the positives of whatever happens, and Martinez does seem most likely. Personally I have been filling myself with worry about aspects of Martinez's ability and all that has to be put to one side until the manager actually starts to look like he doesn't know what he is doing. Nothing is more certain than the fact it would take a hell of a manager to work in an atmosphere of negativity from the word go.

It'll be all over soon lads. 'Roberto' as Whelan says will have charmed Mr.Kenwright and he will 100% get the job i will bet my life on it. So all you Vitor & Ralf fans sorry but it's over...Let's get behind Roberto and win at Anfield, Stamford Bridge, Emirates, Old Trafford etc. , Win the Champions Cup & League Cup. On the last day we will need to beat Spurs at WHL to get 4th and last minute Kone comes on wins the header and gets his 30th goal of the season, helping up win 2-1, [Poor language removed] you haters. FORZA ROBERTO, best manager in Europe, PEACE OUT B*TCHES.

If nothing else, Martinez will try to win each and every game we play in. He's not going to magically break the class players that we have, and all of Mirallas, Barkley, Duffy and Coleman will be better players next term. I really think he will surprise a few, and will have us playing genuinely good football.

Always a gamble whoever we get. I remember in 1997 laughing when Arsenal brought in Arsene Wenger. A bloke who had been managing in Japan. You just never know who is going to fit.
Listening to Southall was interesting too. I agree we should be looking to finish top every season. Otherwise what is the point. Not saying they will but aim for it all the same.

I agree with your points, but think the main thing I took from original post is its soon time to start looking at the positives of whatever happens, and Martinez does seem most likely. Personally I have been filling myself with worry about aspects of Martinez's ability and all that has to be put to one side until the manager actually starts to look like he doesn't know what he is doing. Nothing is more certain than the fact it would take a hell of a manager to work in an atmosphere of negativity from the word go.
In general - I don't have a problem with signing Martinez and of course I will back him up. Just didn't like to read all the negativity regarding Rangnick/Witor, mixed this with all Martinez positives and selling this like balanced point of view.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back