Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Moyes Potential Replacement

Who do you want? - being realistic

• Roberto Martinez

Votes: 221 13.8%
  • Vitor Pereira

Votes: 594 37.2%
  • Neil Lennon

Votes: 40 2.5%
  • Di Matteo

Votes: 58 3.6%
  • Slaven Bilic

Votes: 73 4.6%
  • Michael Laudrup

Votes: 410 25.7%
  • Malky Mackay

Votes: 33 2.1%
  • From within the club

Votes: 60 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 108 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's just a shame he didn't have this tactical genius for the rest of the season isn't it ........:blink:

"but in terms of planning a victory on paper and getting his players to implement his ideas on one-off occasions..."

Its almost as if you read what I wrote, and then forgot bits of it... :blink:

Hmmmm I don't know, anyone else find it strange that redknapp has not been talked about more for our job??

By that I don't mean us the fans (he's not a fan fav) but the media and pundits ect ect,,,,

Tbh I would of expected more talk of it. Redknapp himself has not spoke or been asked about it, No one in interviews or media have said "What about redknapp" think he'd do a job.....

Wouldn't it be a shocker if his name was announced.

Way, way, way too far north.

Im sorry my fellow blue, but you couldnt me more wrong IMO.

I was at the game, Lower Bullens, slap bang in the middle. What I saw was a complete and utter tactical win for Martinez.

Within the first 15 minutes of the game you could visibly see our players confused and uncertain of how to combat Wigan. Firstly they started with 3 at the back which is slightly unorthadox in the modern era, this coupled with that little Scotsman Maloney as one of the midfield 3, pushed Beasajour into a position directly in the middle of Kev and Seamus giving him ACRES of space. All they did for the first half was work the ball right, and then quickly switch over to Beasajour who had freedom to attack Coleman again and again, sometimes mixing it up with maloney who would overlap/underlap. Martinez had obviously briefed his team to attack our right and pin Coleman back, plus it was obvious big Kev doesnt offer as much protection as Pienaar for Baines. So that was tactical victory number 1.

Secondly, with their 3 at the back, they nullified Fellaini. Constantly when we looked to the Felli, he would be up against either one of the orthodox 2 centre backs, plus Figeroa who would go for ANY ball that was played up against their defence. Fiegeroa won probably 80& of the headers that day just because he was told to attack anything and everything that Fellaini would go for. Thats tactical victory number 2.

The last was one of the most genius things ive seen for a long time. They had been doubling up on Baines all game, closing down the space he occupies for all of the first half. Just before (i think) half time they had to bring their right wing-back off (cant remember who - Stam maybe?) and Martinez chose to bring on Myachi, the little japanese kid). He made NO ATTEMPT to get involved in the play whatsoever, and was just briefed with following Baines up and down that left hand side for the entire of his afternoon before it was cut short by a superb challenge by Kev. The little Jap literally just ran and ran, making the pass to Baines difficult or risky, therefore prompting our players to go something more direct to Felli and consequently falling into the trap of Tactical Victory number 2. When Ryo when off we had a little more joy but it was too little too late.

I would recommend watching the extended highlights on Everton TV if you want to see a manager (Moyes) well and truly out-thought by an opposition (Martinez). Our players were demoralised because of how clever Wigans tactics were, as we were shut down in every area we are usually effective.

I am not a huge fan of Martinez, as I think his teams leak goals because they play too open, but in terms of planning a victory on paper and getting his players to implement his ideas on one-off occasions, I think he is extremely good.

Neville was poorthat day, but Fellaini was awful, so was Kev and so was Pienaar. To say that Neville was the reason we lost is just quite frankly incorrect.

Respect your opinion though matey!

NSNO

brilliant, superb post. all accurate. Well done

I was at the game, Lower Bullens, slap bang in the middle. What I saw was a complete and utter tactical win for Martinez.

Within the first 15 minutes of the game you could visibly see our players confused and uncertain of how to combat Wigan. Firstly they started with 3 at the back which is slightly unorthadox in the modern era, this coupled with that little Scotsman Maloney as one of the midfield 3, pushed Beasajour into a position directly in the middle of Kev and Seamus giving him ACRES of space. All they did for the first half was work the ball right, and then quickly switch over to Beasajour who had freedom to attack Coleman again and again, sometimes mixing it up with maloney who would overlap/underlap. Martinez had obviously briefed his team to attack our right and pin Coleman back, plus it was obvious big Kev doesnt offer as much protection as Pienaar for Baines. So that was tactical victory number 1.

Secondly, with their 3 at the back, they nullified Fellaini. Constantly when we looked to the Felli, he would be up against either one of the orthodox 2 centre backs, plus Figeroa who would go for ANY ball that was played up against their defence. Fiegeroa won probably 80& of the headers that day just because he was told to attack anything and everything that Fellaini would go for. Thats tactical victory number 2.

The last was one of the most genius things ive seen for a long time. They had been doubling up on Baines all game, closing down the space he occupies for all of the first half. Just before (i think) half time they had to bring their right wing-back off (cant remember who - Stam maybe?) and Martinez chose to bring on Myachi, the little japanese kid). He made NO ATTEMPT to get involved in the play whatsoever, and was just briefed with following Baines up and down that left hand side for the entire of his afternoon before it was cut short by a superb challenge by Kev. The little Jap literally just ran and ran, making the pass to Baines difficult or risky, therefore prompting our players to go something more direct to Felli and consequently falling into the trap of Tactical Victory number 2. When Ryo when off we had a little more joy but it was too little too late.

I would recommend watching the extended highlights on Everton TV if you want to see a manager (Moyes) well and truly out-thought by an opposition (Martinez). Our players were demoralised because of how clever Wigans tactics were, as we were shut down in every area we are usually effective.

I am not a huge fan of Martinez, as I think his teams leak goals because they play too open, but in terms of planning a victory on paper and getting his players to implement his ideas on one-off occasions, I think he is extremely good.

Neville was poorthat day, but Fellaini was awful, so was Kev and so was Pienaar. To say that Neville was the reason we lost is just quite frankly incorrect.

NSNO

Great post but the NSNO at the end ruins it in a similar fashion to watermarking in YNWA...

NSNO

Pity he didn't use his tactical nouse in the league.

"but in terms of planning a victory on paper and getting his players to implement his ideas on one-off occasions..."

Its almost as if you read what I wrote, and then forgot bits of it... :blink:

Nope I read it, it's just he can't do it 38 times in a season. That's my point, anyone can get it right on a one off. The league is about consistently getting it right.

No, still arguing pro's and cons of candidates, nobody giving ground. Same as last 10 days

:(. Well tbf I think all three of the tipped candidates are brilliant in their own right, but at the same time very risky as none are proven to be able to fit in a role similar to what's needed for us.

NSNO

So we're talking about pretty much purely reactive tactics then? Aren't these types of tactics the reason many didn't rate Moyes tactically? People want pro-active tactics over reactive ones, right?

Rangnick or Pereira are unlikely to have preconceptions on our line-up. Rangnick deserves a lot of credit for his time at Hoffenheim (and Schalke 04 too).

All this discussion re Wigan's 3-0 win in the FA Cup and many seem to have forgotten how Martinez stitched us up beforehand by saying he was going to name a weakened (reserve) side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back