Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Moyes Potential Replacement

Who do you want? - being realistic

• Roberto Martinez

Votes: 221 13.8%
  • Vitor Pereira

Votes: 594 37.2%
  • Neil Lennon

Votes: 40 2.5%
  • Di Matteo

Votes: 58 3.6%
  • Slaven Bilic

Votes: 73 4.6%
  • Michael Laudrup

Votes: 410 25.7%
  • Malky Mackay

Votes: 33 2.1%
  • From within the club

Votes: 60 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 108 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay. So tactically he got it right against us in the cup but they had nothing to lose. His attacking style was perfect for that occasion. What worries me is games towards the end of the season (Wigan 2-3 Swansea and Arsenal 4-1 Wigan) Both entertaining and attacking games, but why be so tactically naive and nonchalant when both games required more discipline and intelligence. The 'all out attack' philosophy back-fired, it was pub football at best, sometimes they get lucky, but more often than most they'd concede an average of 1.9 goals per game, requiring 2 or more goals per game to get anything out of a game. I'm starting to dislike the thought of Martinez as our next chief, I'd rather a more disciplined manager come in and grind out 1-0's every week, I don't want our club becoming Martinez's puppeteering project.

Just heard that Chelsea are announcing Mourinhio tomorrow, If we going with the underwhelming Martinez I think we should wait another week.
Its too embarrassing to name that appointment on the same day as Mourinhio and possibly Pelligrini for City, it will be the day two big English clubs got to world class managers and that small club got a relegated manager.

I think its naive to think you can have pro-active tactics regulary when you are not one of the 'big 3' of Chelski, Utd or City.

Their players are better than our, and therefore will more often than not make you play their game. Its then about being reactive and being resolute waiting for your odd chance here or there.

We are proactive against City, but for me thats more psychological as they sense we are their bogey team and therefore going missing.

I think having the nouse to employ proactive or reactive tactics are both skills in their own right. Moyes was far better at reactive. His flaws were with his proactive tactics, as shown against the teams we should be beating. He would play the same way and hope for a breakthrough, rather than changing them for each opposition

Agree 100% with all of that bar the bolded bit. I think we were very reactive against City. Remember how Rodwell was employed at City purely to shut Silva down?

I agree perhaps we could have done with another dimension tactically to beat the lesser sides, but I also reckon we've tried certain things. We saw our left hand side as our primary threat and so it became the focal point of our attack. Back when our right hand side was non-existent, teams would shut the left down and we'd struggle to create chances, so we threw Felli up there and developed the right hand side to address the problem. I'd definitely class putting Felli behind the striker as a pro-active tactic that worked well for us, so I wouldn't say Moyes was useless in this regard.

I will be right behind Martinez if he's appointed but seriously have my doubts about him,I honestly don't know that much about Vitor or Ralf but after reading about them I think i'd be happier with either of them. Its not an easy choice.

Thenumbers.jpg

So we're talking about pretty much purely reactive tactics then? Aren't these types of tactics the reason many didn't rate Moyes tactically? People want pro-active tactics over reactive ones, right?
It doesn't sound like a reactive tactic for me. at least not entirely. Especially a Beasajour column about him using space between Mirallas and Coleman.

My concern is Martinez is too nice to his players. They dont seem willing to dig deep and give 100% for him until the chips are down. Our players need to be at it every game.

Agree 100% with all of that bar the bolded bit. I think we were very reactive against City. Remember how Rodwell was employed at City purely to shut Silva down?

I agree perhaps we could have done with another dimension tactically to beat the lesser sides, but I also reckon we've tried certain things. We saw our left hand side as our primary threat and so it became the focal point of our attack. Back when our right hand side was non-existent, teams would shut the left down and we'd struggle to create chances, so we threw Felli up there and developed the right hand side to address the problem. I'd definitely class putting Felli behind the striker as a pro-active tactic that worked well for us, so I wouldn't say Moyes was useless in this regard.

I was thinking more City at Home this year, but I agree with you anyway - 100% - Rodwell against City is a perfect example of us going there to shut down arguably their focal point.

Apologies I may have given the impression Moyes was useless at being Proactive, and Fellaini up there proves he has been proactive at times, I just think that he has shown this with less frequency than his reactive tactics - which as I said before is no bad thing against the best teams as they have better players who we need to nullify.

He did some great things Moyesy, and I think there will be times, especially in this next season under a new manager, whilst we are adapting, that people will miss the grit he brought to our side. None of the 'Trio' have built sides who are difficult to beat, but instead play expansive football. Do we have the players, or rather 'squad' to play this way for a full season? Im not so sure, we dont have a choice as Moyes has gone and the new manager will have his own tactics.

Definitely need to spend some serious cash this summer, inject some youth and quality and hope for the best.

My concern is Martinez is too nice to his players. They dont seem willing to dig deep and give 100% for him until the chips are down. Our players need to be at it every game.
Must admit that's one of the things that concerns me, but I do tend to think our current squad already have that ability to motivate themselves. Big learning curve coming up for Martinez if/when he's appointed.

Backing and support from the supporters is something he won't be short of....

Just heard that Chelsea are announcing Mourinhio tomorrow, If we going with the underwhelming Martinez I think we should wait another week.
Its too embarrassing to name that appointment on the same day as Mourinhio and possibly Pelligrini for City, it will be the day two big English clubs got to world class managers and that small club got a relegated manager.

Another week? I can barely stand the wait until tomorrow! :o

id wait if it ment not announcing an underwhelming appointment on the same day as two massive appointments eslewere
I don't care about other teams or our decision exposure in media. New manager needs get announced and start his work as soon as his ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back