Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Moyes Potential Replacement

Who do you want? - being realistic

• Roberto Martinez

Votes: 221 13.8%
  • Vitor Pereira

Votes: 594 37.2%
  • Neil Lennon

Votes: 40 2.5%
  • Di Matteo

Votes: 58 3.6%
  • Slaven Bilic

Votes: 73 4.6%
  • Michael Laudrup

Votes: 410 25.7%
  • Malky Mackay

Votes: 33 2.1%
  • From within the club

Votes: 60 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 108 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am no Kenwright fan but I do not envy him today as it is really a tough one to call ,they way I see it is with Vitor you have the biggest risk but ultimately he could take us to another level if things go well.
Ralf is sort of the sort of middle ground no prem experience but like Vitor is a winner and with his idea of bringing one of the current hopefuls in to work alongside him seems a less risky strategy.
Or you go safe with Martinez who by all accounts is a lovely fella but ultimately has spent 80% of the last 4 years in the bottom four.

If you can swing it Bill I would go for Ralf as Manager with Martinez working alongside as I just don't thing Martinez has the credentials to do the job on his own.

Anyway Bill back to you Bill as you were
Eeny Meeny Mini Moe catch a

I was thinking more City at Home this year, but I agree with you anyway - 100% - Rodwell against City is a perfect example of us going there to shut down arguably their focal point.

Apologies I may have given the impression Moyes was useless at being Proactive, and Fellaini up there proves he has been proactive at times, I just think that he has shown this with less frequency than his reactive tactics - which as I said before is no bad thing against the best teams as they have better players who we need to nullify.

He did some great things Moyesy, and I think there will be times, especially in this next season under a new manager, whilst we are adapting, that people will miss the grit he brought to our side. None of the 'Trio' have built sides who are difficult to beat, but instead play expansive football. Do we have the players, or rather 'squad' to play this way for a full season? Im not so sure, we dont have a choice as Moyes has gone and the new manager will have his own tactics.

Definitely need to spend some serious cash this summer, inject some youth and quality and hope for the best.

I didn't mean you specifically were saying he was useless at pro-active tactics, I was just saying I personally think he has got some things right. Maybe his difference to more pro-active managers is his not wanting to get that kind of thing wrong. Strikes me as the kind of fella who'd lose his mind if he took a defender off, went three up top and then lost the game because of it. Other managers may be prepared to get some things wrong in order to get other things right. Moyes is clearly not one of those managers, so I agree, he's definitely not generally pro-active tactically.

It's hard to tell whether following a more risky strategy would pay off for us. A "law" in stats is the greater the risk, the greater the reward and also the penalty for failure, but I'm yet to be convinced that our squad could really have done much better than it did last season and in pretty much every one preceding it under Moyes. You could argue that we could have done better and taken a top 4 place last season by winning games like Norwich home and away and Villa at home, by trying to finish games early and attacking until the game is dead, but that tactic probably wouldn't have got us the wins against City and the champions.

Anyway, I'm not going to think too deeply on it any more and see what happens. Whatever happens, pretty much all our predictions and suspicions about whoever we get will be wrong in the long term. I'm sure of that, so I won't bother speculating.

My concern is Martinez is too nice to his players. They dont seem willing to dig deep and give 100% for him until the chips are down. Our players need to be at it every game.

so none of his players dug deep when they were all but down for the last couple of seasons and somehow mastermind great wins against teams like united and arsenal to stay up.

I bet if Moyes had been at Wigan the last couple years, they'd have been relegated long before, without any trophies and scoring a low amount of goals. I think Martinez would do great at Everton with better facilities, players, staff etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back