Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Moyes Potential Replacement

Who do you want? - being realistic

• Roberto Martinez

Votes: 221 13.8%
  • Vitor Pereira

Votes: 594 37.2%
  • Neil Lennon

Votes: 40 2.5%
  • Di Matteo

Votes: 58 3.6%
  • Slaven Bilic

Votes: 73 4.6%
  • Michael Laudrup

Votes: 410 25.7%
  • Malky Mackay

Votes: 33 2.1%
  • From within the club

Votes: 60 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 108 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

I don't want mcClaren and he won't even make a short list , I'd imagine he'd be lucky to get a decent championship job never mind in the top 6 of the prem. that said I agree on your coaching point he was rated as years ahead of everyone else before he went to united (at derby I think) where he wa considered innovative . There is , as we all know, a huge difference between a coach and a manger but as a coach he was as you say really highly rated long before he arrived at old Trafford.

Boro are a small town club as well, they're not much bigger than the likes of Preston or Tranmere, they're certainly smaller than the likes of Leicester, Derby and the two Sheffield clubs.

Agreed but do you know what? After 10 years of Moyes I want that excitement again.

Honestly, I think we've become a sanitized version of ourselves as fans. Everything is downplayed, pragmatism always comes first, we never, ever 'go for it' and that shows in how our fans feel and act.

That's a consequence of the way we've been run and managed. I accept that when Moyes took over that was exactly what was needed. But now I think if a manager like Di Canio who is all fire and passion came in you'd get a very different feel at GP.

Honestly, I think we've become a sanitized version of ourselves as fans. Everything is downplayed, pragmatism always comes first, we never, ever 'go for it' and that shows in how our fans feel and act.

That's a consequence of the way we've been run and managed. I accept that when Moyes took over that was exactly what was needed. But now I think if a manager like Di Canio who is all fire and passion came in you'd get a very different feel at GP.

Couldn't agree with this more.

I actually have a regular dream of a manager like Duncan Ferguson running wild eyed towards the Gwladys Street after we come back from 2-0 against the sh!te

Good post mate.

I joked about Di Canio. It's obviously a silly idea, but someone with like stupid angry passion and things would change.

Anybody who thinks Mclaren is a press favourite is deluded. The sole reason most of you view him the way you do is because the tit out the star, Woolnough, did a right number on him because he never wanted him as England boss.

He took Boro to a eurpoean final, won them a cup and they always did alright in the league until he left.

He also broke up the dutch monopoly with an unfashionable club that sells it's best players. They are only 6 points off the top even now and he's just left.

Wolfsburg didn't work out for him but again he went in and had to sell a few good players. Not like he got loads of time to make his mark and Forest are Forest it's obvious the chairman was a teet from day 1.

I don't want Mclaren because I think we could do loads better but he's not the idiot some make out. Also his rep as a coach was built long before he worked with Ferguson.

I wouldn’t read anything by that fat prick at the Daily Star, so his words are irrelevant. I call McClaren a useless prick, because that’s what he his and always will be.

I'm well aware of his days at Hull Derby; these people get this reputation as a coach of players and sticks with them that they will automatically become great Managers: Ray Hartford, Brian Kidd, Colin Harvey; the list is endless

By press favourite; i didn't mean they love him as a person, but they tout as a fantastic manager and tactician when he is clearly not. Apart from 2 seasons; 1 at Boro when he won the cup (only noteable win was Arsenal considering us and Spurs were beaten on pens) and 2nd when he won the Dutch league, which is ok, but in honestly it’s the Dutch League

At Boro he finished 14th, 12th 11th, 11th, 7th 14th and spend £45m to boot; no real improvement on the previous finishes so they weren't good finishes considering

He had a 29% ratio at Wolfsburg.

At Forest he took a team that was constantly challenging for promotion, added 6 places and turned them into relegation candidates; then moaned that he wanted to sign 2 more players on loan.

But now I think if a manager like Di Canio who is all fire and passion came in you'd get a very different feel at GP.
Uh-huh ... lots of "roman salutes" ... wonderful. The "fire" part is what worries me personally.

That said I've always wanted a manager with a tattoo of another club on his body.

... oh and a Mussolini tattoo according to Wiki. What a charmer.

I'm dreading the thought of "no goals" Martinez a little less today.

Last edited:
hmm you may be on to something there. Think most of Lambert's goals this season have come off the bench. Could see him on the sidelines during one of our uninspired phases of play in the middle of the 2nd half, "F'ckin hell, I'll do it myself," brings himself on and rockets in the winner

I know we have a Moyes' Contract Thread, but this one is different.

A dedicated thread to allow discussion on who could potentially replace Moyes, should he decide to move on to Bigger and better things than Everton.

So - who could be a good choice to replace him?
You're well aware of my ideal replacement, my beloved Duncan Ferguson; they'd all give 100% every game and god help them if they didn't!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back