Votes: 33 2.1%
  • From within the club

Votes: 60 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 108 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Impressive from Martinez and his side but he's still in a position in the league where they need to win away at Arsenal and then beat relegation rivals Villa to have a chance of staying up.

They had some good results this season: 0-1 Spurs, 0-3 Villa, 0-3 Reading and 2-3 West Brom. But they've conceded 4 goals four times (Liverpool, Chelsea, United x2) and 3 goals four times (Newcastle, Sunderland, Swansea and Liverpool). They've let in the most goals in the league (67) jointly with Villa and Reading.

At the DW they've been beaten by Swansea, Liverpool, Sunderland, United, Arsenal, City, West Brom, Fulham and Chelsea! They've also drawn their home games against Stoke, Everton, QPR, Southampton and Spurs.

It would seem that Martinez's strength is organising a very good counter-attacking team away from home. That was evident when they played us in the cup and again in the final today. Maybe the wingback system is something that he's picked up and it's so effective because no other teams use it, but is he a one-trick pony? His team don't score a huge amount of goals though- they're the eighth lowest scorers in the league and managed 8 fewer than Everton.

He has a fair eye for a player. Kone only cost £3.3m from Levante. Maloney was less than a million. MacArthur was about half that. And Diame cost £2.6m.

I'm surprised that he's only 39 as well. But I'm not convinced he's the right man for Everton.

Interesting that every Wigan game after the third round was away.

SF v Millwall 0-2
QF v Everton 0-3
5th Rd v Huddersfield 1-4
4th Rd v Macclesfield 0-1

They played Bournemouth in the 3rd Round at home and only drew 1-1! They won the replay away 0-1.

To be honest, no. I don't want Lennon, Mackay, O'Neill and Hughes. I rather have Martinez than the aforsaid candidates. Girard is my 2nd choice but then again unlikely. Fat Spanish waiter can be my 2nd choice should he has respect on us (so no go). Laudrup is unrealistic due to his release fee.

Why do you think Girard is a no go? Not trolling, just interested in your opinion

He's out of contract this summer, he isn't young granted but he's not exactly on a zimmer either, and he's expressed an interest in the EPL.

Game of opinions, mate. I also had Swansea bottom and Laudrup sacked haha.

Truth be told there weren't many who predicted we'd finish above them again. Luckily for Billy Hill and Vic Chandler that we're all crap at early season forecasting.

My predicted league made yours look sensible, tbf.

I only mock because you've got the fear of them big time, you always think they're going to turn out boss again. And I know what made you that way, but honestly they're dire right now. We fear them far more than we should.

Even just last week the majority though they would catch us, ffs.

Why do you think Girard is a no go? Not trolling, just interested in your opinion

He's out of contract this summer, he isn't young granted but he's not exactly on a zimmer either, and he's expressed an interest in the EPL.

In frank I don't think Bill will appoint a foreign manager (I mean not based in the English league).

Prior to today I was not pushing for Martinez to become our manager.

But you have to ask yourself, could half of the names mentioned replicate the same achievements as Martinez has? That's keeping the smallest team in the premier league and winning them the FA Cup?

Plus he tics so many other boxes. He can speak English for a start, would get on well with our owners etc. Lives local.

He may finally see Wigan go down but it will be through amassing a points tally that is only a few points lower than the likes of Sunderland and Newcastle who have far spent far more and benefit from far bigger attendances and revenues.
Being honest with you mate i've seen too many managers come and go (my first one was Catterick) to get too worked up about it, if it is Martinez, (which after today it probably will be) i'll be there in Goodison, in August, cheering the Blues on. (y)

His best post is the one where he says Liverpool could not have bought a better player for 20m than Downing

That's not what I said.

At the time, Liverpool were looking for an old fashioned, left sided winger who would adapt quickly and supply the kind of quality crosses they needed for Carroll. What i said was that for £20m, they would have struggled to find someone who could have fit that profile, better than Downing who by all accounts was in form, playing regularly for England and doing well for Villa.

When you consider quality out and out wingers are a dying breed nowadays, that was really the point I was trying to make. Obviously (and hilariously) its not worked out as they had planned.

My predicted league made yours look sensible, tbf.

I only mock because you've got the fear of them big time, you always think they're going to turn out boss again. And I know what made you that way, but honestly they're dire right now. We fear them far more than we should.

Even just last week the majority though they would catch us, ffs.

Fair point!

Last edited by a moderator:
To be fair I don't think Martinez would be disastrous. He's kept a team, put together on bobbins, up for the past few years and the only year he doesn't he goes and wins them the FA cup. He plays attractive football and has an eye for a signing (Kone, Moses, Diame, Maloney, Valencia and even McManaman.) he wouldn't be my first choice, but I think we could do a lot worse.

There should be no place at a club like Everton for jobs for the boys.

I fear that more than others might.

Managerial inexperienced former players as assistants, possibly caretaker managers when required, ok, fair enough.

but it isn't what we require going into next season.

my top picks are still...

1. Pereira
2. Solskjaer

..and my opinion of Martinez has changed somewhat after today, I'd still need some convincing though

Prior to today I was not pushing for Martinez to become our manager.

But you have to ask yourself, could half of the names mentioned replicate the same achievements as Martinez has? That's keeping the smallest team in the premier league and winning them the FA Cup?

Plus he tics so many other boxes. He can speak English for a start, would get on well with our owners etc. Lives local.

He may finally see Wigan go down but it will be through amassing a points tally that is only a few points lower than the likes of Sunderland and Newcastle who have far spent far more and benefit from far bigger attendances and revenues.

A good sensible post that. He's probably the nicest guy in football and I'm unsure of him myself as our new manager. But I notice quite a few people in football talk about his knowledge and how much he loves the game etc. Strachan was saying how when they did the Euros coverage he'd go to bed at night not able to sleep cos of tactics and football going through his head cos Martinez wouldn't stop talking about it all day.

People have to be sensible at just how small a club Wigan is, and for them to win the FA Cup is just an amazing achievement. Would a Moyes Everton side have taken the game to City in a Cup Final like that?

I hope there's no way around that and the best he can get is an assistant job. It'd sicken me if we had him as manager. There should be no place at a club like Everton for jobs for the boys.

A UEFA Pro Licence is required by anyone who wishes to manage a football club in the top level of the nation's league system on a permanent basis (i.e. more than 12 weeks – the amount of time an unqualified caretaker manager is allowed to take control). This applies to both the head coach or team manager, and such a licence is also required to manage in the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League.
Each current manager of a top-flight team in Europe was set a deadline of 2010 to acquire the licence, or else face losing his post

There are a few precedents though, if we were determined to appoint Dunc and wanted to challenge the rules.

In June 2008, Blackburn Rovers appointed Paul Ince as manager, with UEFA allowing him to take the role despite having gained neither the UEFA Pro Licence nor the lesser UEFA B Licence but "giving him two years' grace to earn the necessary qualifications".

Avram Grant and Garath Southgate were also given permission to manage without the license for a limited amount of time. I'd imagine that Ferguson has probably only just started working towards his B License, although he did start working with us in October 2011 so he could be more advanced. Weir returned in February 2012. He could possibly have been taking badges while he was still playing for Rangers.

I'd have thought that both are very unlikely to be anywhere near the first team.

A UEFA Pro Licence is required by anyone who wishes to manage a football club in the top level of the nation's league system on a permanent basis (i.e. more than 12 weeks – the amount of time an unqualified caretaker manager is allowed to take control). This applies to both the head coach or team manager, and such a licence is also required to manage in the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League.
Each current manager of a top-flight team in Europe was set a deadline of 2010 to acquire the licence, or else face losing his post

There are a few precedents though, if we were determined to appoint Dunc and wanted to challenge the rules.

In June 2008, Blackburn Rovers appointed Paul Ince as manager, with UEFA allowing him to take the role despite having gained neither the UEFA Pro Licence nor the lesser UEFA B Licence but "giving him two years' grace to earn the necessary qualifications".

Avram Grant and Garath Southgate were also given permission to manage without the license for a limited amount of time. I'd imagine that Ferguson has probably only just started working towards his B License, although he did start working with us in October 2011 so he could be more advanced. Weir returned in February 2012. He could possibly have been taking badges while he was still playing for Rangers.

I'd have thought that both are very unlikely to be anywhere near the first team.

I sincerely hope so; but the loopholes, as you point out, are there.

So one of our managerial candidates has just won the FA Cup (Martinez), whilst another (Pereira) is currently drawing 1-1 at half time in what is effectively a title decider (albeit Benfica have a much easier game in their final match against bottom of the league Moirerense, whilst Porto face Pacos in third).

My question is as follows: does the success of Martinez in winning the Cup or Pereira winning the Portuguese league have a significant effect on who we appoint?

Personally, I would suggest the following:

Martinez
This all depends on where Wigan finish. If they stay up, would Martinez want a crack at Europe with Wigan? Possibly. However, if they go down, I can't see him wanting a year in the Championship. Then again, would we want to recruit a relegated manager?

Pereira
He's out of contract at the end of the season and seemingly won't sign a new one for two reasons: (a) he wants to move to the EPL; and (b ) the fans don't like him. Again, if they end up winning the League, this may appease the fans, but would it make VP stay on? If they don't win the League, I can see him definitely walking.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I'm officially endorsing Roberto Martinez as my choice for EFC Manager. Here's why:

1 - He's not a bell and will represent the club well.

2 - He plays the good togger on the floor.

3 - He turned the sh*te down.

4 - He is capable of developing average players.

5 - He's willing to play the young players and develop them.

6 - Goat doesn't want him.

7 - "Robert Martinez blue and white army" works.

8 - He is capable of controlling the club from the bottom to the top up.

9 - He doesn't turn 40 until July and has already managed in the Premier League and won something.

10 - I'm like a sheep who's easily swayed on the basis of a good game here and there.

Welcome to L4 Robby lad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back