Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Moyes Potential Replacement

Who do you want? - being realistic

• Roberto Martinez

Votes: 221 13.8%
  • Vitor Pereira

Votes: 594 37.2%
  • Neil Lennon

Votes: 40 2.5%
  • Di Matteo

Votes: 58 3.6%
  • Slaven Bilic

Votes: 73 4.6%
  • Michael Laudrup

Votes: 410 25.7%
  • Malky Mackay

Votes: 33 2.1%
  • From within the club

Votes: 60 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 108 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems like forever ago that I was underwhelmed when Moyes was appointed so I'll reserve judgement but surely to goodness the board must realise the importance of this appointment.

It's all just speculation,as yet nothing to take seriosly or to worry about.They might as well add Mourinho to the list as he has made it known that he will be in England next year and has always spoken very highly of Everton....not that it will happen.

I could see David Moyes recommend Mackay,because I believe his attitude would be similar to his own.
SAF opted for David Moyes because he thinks he is a younger version of himself.However ,Ferguson as a young manager broke the watertight domination of Scottish football by Celtic and Rangers to win the League title.Afeat greater than Everton winning the premiership today.He also won a European competition with Aberdeen.

Ultimately,I think it will be Martinez.In fact what he has acheived at Wigan is quite spectacular,even apart from winning the F.A cup yesterday.Just about every year his best players are sold to keep the club afloat.Valencia,Palacios,N'Zogbia and more recently Moses.
The entire cost of the Wigan team yesterday was 8.3 million,slightly more than half of what Fellaini alone cost.Can you imagine David Moyes(or most other managers ) keeping us in the league and winning the cup with a team that cost 8m.

We beat city, with ten men, and aren't on the verge of relegation. Martinez would have a nice cosy relationship with Baffled Bill, more love ins and more of the same don't rock the boat...wouldn't mind a pair being swung around boadroom once in a while..a bit of raw anger wouldn't go amiss, someone saying things can't go on like this or there havev to be changes

So would any manager with an £8.3 m team ! We had the relative luxury of spending £15 m on just one player, nearly double their whole first team on one player.

So would any manager with an £8.3 m team ! We had the relative luxury of spending £15 m on just one player, nearly double their whole first team on one player.
But it seems the prerequisite we are putting out there for a new manager is just about surviving on crumbs. That will make sure that those considered will angle on that, that Bill will be vindicated in carrying on as is, when really we should be looking at moving forward. Have Evertonians come to just accept that all they want from their manager is balancing the books? Cup games are different, you don't need telling that, look back to the whole giant killing thing, it happens every round, and occassionally the final. Just avoiding relegation should not be used as a yardstick for an Everton manager. Tbh I think too many blues are buying into this 'plucky little everton' tag and finding amanager to suit.

My concern continues to be the Boards ability to realise the huge importance of the next appointment....get it right and it could be a magnificent period for us as we have the nucleus of a very good squad...get it wrong and it's to the land of no return. Bill needs to consider his value stake in the Club will plummet if he gets it wrong too.
Ive been a big Moyes fan, but he shouldn't be involved in the recruitment process -he'll be an opposition manager so he'll have some self-interest.

Definite NO's for me - Hughes, McKay, Rafael, O'Neill, Allardyce,
Probablies -Lennon, Martinez, Jol, Lambert, Laudrup, Duncan, Pip, Davie Weir, Stuart McCall
Wishful thinking -Bergkamp, De Boer, Hiddink
And if only......Gary Speed

The thing is, the board have been hanging on hoping an overly generous buyout was on the way at some point. If they get this wrong, the chance of this edges further over the horizon. The value of their asset could plummet. If they had to get it right just for the benefit of Everton FC then I'd be much more worried. They have to get it right to protect their investment and appease those who have sunk money into EFC, or they will find their possibility for profit peaked a few years ago. So, they have their own self-interest at heart, which actually reassures me more, given the people that we are talking about.

But it seems the prerequisite we are putting out there for a new manager is just about surviving on crumbs. That will make sure that those considered will angle on that, that Bill will be vindicated in carrying on as is, when really we should be looking at moving forward. Have Evertonians come to just accept that all they want from their manager is balancing the books? Cup games are different, you don't need telling that, look back to the whole giant killing thing, it happens every round, and occassionally the final. Just avoiding relegation should not be used as a yardstick for an Everton manager. Tbh I think too many blues are buying into this 'plucky little everton' tag and finding amanager to suit.

Will you stop telling everyone how they perceive Everton cos it's starting to grate on me. I actually think he would do a god job at a big club with different expectations. His job at Wigan was to sell to buy, keep them in the division. He has (upto now) done that and put a trophy in the bag aswel. All whilst playing a brand of football that we as evertonians have forgotten exists.

If you don't want him that's your prerogative but don't tell me how I perceive my club because I view things differently to you.

Ideally I want us to get a manager who first and foremost can take the team forward, but like man utd and their appointment of moyes, will also be here for the long term.
Like others have said, the 'Everton Way' is actually quite unique and infuriatingly restrictive. We wouldn't see Pereira for dust the first time his major transfer target falls through because of the possibility of future injuries.

We don't have the money to spend like Chelsea's Citeh's and ManU. We just have to face facts surely? We all want success but there is no way BK is going to break the bank to get it. If he was thinking of doing it he would have given Moyes the money a year or two ago in exchange for signing a long term deal.

I don't want us living beyond our means in the hope of CL football. Leeds tried it and failed and look at them now. I would much rather keep the staus quo, give Martinez the budget Moyes would have got if he'd stayed. He plays exciting football, can work within a budget, is loyal, knows the PL and has won something.

No brainer for me.

Will you stop telling everyone how they perceive Everton cos it's starting to grate on me. I actually think he would do a god job at a big club with different expectations. His job at Wigan was to sell to buy, keep them in the division. He has (upto now) done that and put a trophy in the bag aswel. All whilst playing a brand of football that we as evertonians have forgotten exists.

If you don't want him that's your prerogative but don't tell me how I perceive my club because I view things differently to you.

If my opinion grates on you, tough. I did say 'I think', which should highlight it is my opinion. I do believe a lot are falling for that position because it is laid out for them, so, politely, do me the courtesy of recognising my right to an opinion. You think Martinez has done well, fair enough, goes by what you're measuring against, imho that brand of football concedes too many goals, which is why they fight relegation regularly. It's football, there are choices. I hope from this you can see the irony in your original comment.

We don't have the money to spend like Chelsea's Citeh's and ManU. We just have to face facts surely? We all want success but there is no way BK is going to break the bank to get it. If he was thinking of doing it he would have given Moyes the money a year or two ago in exchange for signing a long term deal.

I don't want us living beyond our means in the hope of CL football. Leeds tried it and failed and look at them now. I would much rather keep the staus quo, give Martinez the budget Moyes would have got if he'd stayed. He plays exciting football, can work within a budget, is loyal, knows the PL and has won something.

No brainer for me.
That is fine, a clear reason, thought out. I have no issue with blues seeing Martinez as a good choice, what I was trying to highlight is in a general sense of direction, Martinez being appointed won't change anything as I can't see him challenging the status quo at the club, something that Bill, and you as highlighted in your post, will see as a major plus. Take Martinez personality, and to a certain extent ability, out of the equation and the concept of the status quo at Everton is something I don't find very appealing. But each to their own, I feel Martinez may struggle and I don't think there is that much patience left around the old girl.

Has Martinez ruled himself out, I know Whelan had but what about Martinez

No he's avoiding the question which tells me he's interested.

If there was ever a time to say "yes I'm staying at Wigan" it was when that reporter got in his face right at the final whistle and asked him, he avoided it well though.

If my opinion grates on you, tough. I did say 'I think', which should highlight it is my opinion. I do believe a lot are falling for that position because it is laid out for them, so, politely, do me the courtesy of recognising my right to an opinion. You think Martinez has done well, fair enough, goes by what you're measuring against, imho that brand of football concedes too many goals, which is why they fight relegation regularly. It's football, there are choices. I hope from this you can see the irony in your original comment.

I respected your opinion on my previous post mate. Something you failed to do. I personally think that saying you think evertonians who want Martinez view us as 'plucky old evertonian' is an insult to my intelligence. I notice you took exception to someone saying 'people like you' on the should Moyes manage the last 2 games topic, incidentally I agreed that he should not be in charge.

Who do you realistically suggest takes charge?

Have you not watched us this season? We've played some superb football. United and Spurs at home, Villa and Swansea away we were rampant. Arsenal away with Barkley in they played very nice stuff too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back