Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Moyes Potential Replacement

Who do you want? - being realistic

• Roberto Martinez

Votes: 221 13.8%
  • Vitor Pereira

Votes: 594 37.2%
  • Neil Lennon

Votes: 40 2.5%
  • Di Matteo

Votes: 58 3.6%
  • Slaven Bilic

Votes: 73 4.6%
  • Michael Laudrup

Votes: 410 25.7%
  • Malky Mackay

Votes: 33 2.1%
  • From within the club

Votes: 60 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 108 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I sincerely hope you're right. And if not him then some other external candidate. This club needs the windows thrown open to let some freshness back in. The last thing in the world we need right now is a promoted poodle who'll just carry on the dull as dishwater 'project'. We need an outsider with vision and creativity...and lots of contacts.

Indeed. We've done tough talking Scots. Time for something different.

I'm leaning towards Martinez big time right now. With bigger expectations, better facilities, more support, I think he could flourish. I just hope it is not Lennon.

I'm leaning towards Martinez big time right now. With bigger expectations, better facilities, more support, I think he could flourish. I just hope it is not Lennon.

**** me, Lennon is the last person I'd want at the helm. We'd have gone from a classy Glaswegian to one who's an absolute nutjob.

Appointing a new manager is always a risk.
However,Martinez has certainly shown a lot of managerial ability in what he has done at Wigan.
Looking at the squad of players at the disposal of Martinez would SAF,Arsene Wenger ,David Moyes or any other manager have done any better.

The same question has to be asked of Roberto Martinez ask we have been asking about David Moyes since his decision to join Utd was confirmed.Can they bring success to a bigger richer club than the clubs they are leaving.
Moyes will be taking over a huges squad of the best paid and most successful players in the world.
Martinez, equally would be taking over a club with players earning far morethan any Wigan players and many having cost substantial transfer fees.In addition Martinez would have access to the kind of money that was simply not available at Wigan.Martinez would have players like Fellaini and Baines to work with or the money from their sale.

I don't know how well Martinez would do at Everton, but he certainly has earned a chance and I think that people would be very surprised by him to find that he will certainly not be a pushover .

There is something which seems to be evading most people's thought process regarding who our next manager should be. The very large majority of us didn't want Moyes to go, which has led to many feeling that we need to repeat history and find another rough diamond of a manager from the lower levels.

Everton is very much a different club than the one when Moyes took over. Looking for a saviour from the lower levels is something we do no need to do now. It was certainly something we had to do 11 years ago because we were not an attractive proposition to anyone else.

I remember when Moyes came to Everton - he said he wanted to change the opinion people had of the club as perennial relegation strugglers to a top side challenging for success. True to his word, he did just that. That is where we are now - a top premiership team challenging for success. We can afford to aim a little higher than the likes of Mackay, Martinez and Lennon.

There is something which seems to be evading most people's thought process regarding who our next manager should be. The very large majority of us didn't want Moyes to go, which has led to many feeling that we need to repeat history and find another rough diamond of a manager from the lower levels.

Everton is very much a different club than the one when Moyes took over. Looking for a saviour from the lower levels is something we do no need to do now. It was certainly something we had to do 11 years ago because we were not an attractive proposition to anyone else.

I remember when Moyes came to Everton - he said he wanted to change the opinion people had of the club as perennial relegation strugglers to a top side challenging for success. True to his word, he did just that. That is where we are now - a top premiership team challenging for success. We can afford to aim a little higher than the likes of Mackay, Martinez and Lennon.

Agreed, but the problem now is a skinflint board. What kind of high-level name would come to Goodison knowing the board will never give him the necessary funding?

Agreed, but the problem now is a skinflint board. What kind of high-level name would come to Goodison knowing the board will never give him the necessary funding?

In my humble opinion, I don't believe the funding issue would deter a decent manager. Just take a step back and look at Everton FC. We are famous club in a famous city, an established top 6 side in the best league in the world. We have a loyal fanbase, world-class training facilities with excellent foundations that have been crafted over an 11 year period.

If we continue to have this inferiority complex and a small minded mentality, then we will never improve.

"However, Martinez's claims are contrary to those of Liverpool co-owner Tom Werner.

The American, talking to the BBC last week, claimed that while a number of people were spoken to about the position vacated by Dalglish, Rodgers was the only one to receive an offer."
Martinez made it clear he did NOT want the job because he never had 100% control. So they never offered him the job. Simple.

Last edited:

Martinez wrote a concise bullet point brief on how he'd take them forward. Brendan provided a 180 page dossier in fluent Scottish management speak. One winner.

I think he is on €5.5M at Citeh, so that would have to come down by about half :)

Not sure what he might command in Italy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back