Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Moyes Potential Replacement

Who do you want? - being realistic

• Roberto Martinez

Votes: 221 13.8%
  • Vitor Pereira

Votes: 594 37.2%
  • Neil Lennon

Votes: 40 2.5%
  • Di Matteo

Votes: 58 3.6%
  • Slaven Bilic

Votes: 73 4.6%
  • Michael Laudrup

Votes: 410 25.7%
  • Malky Mackay

Votes: 33 2.1%
  • From within the club

Votes: 60 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 108 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
But he's still won the league, and he's gone far in the CL. He doesn't exactly have to win it to prove he's a good manager.

Porto have won the Portugese league 9 times out of the last 11. It would have been a sackable offence if they didn't win it!

He also reached the last 16 in the CL. There have only been 2 occasions in the last decade where they have failed to get at least that far and he was responsible for one of them. He made the last 32 of the Europa League last year but the last two times they were in the competition they won it!

Same here mikey, wouldn't mind Neville staying at the club in some capacity though as a link between the management and the players as I think he could smooth the transition of any new manager coming in and help them settle in.
I'd definitely have him as assistant manager or first team coach.

If we did appoint pereira I think he would need to keep some of the current backroom staff or get neville in people that know English football and the club inside out

Porto have won the Portugese league 9 times out of the last 11. It would have been a sackable offence if they didn't win it!

He also reached the last 16 in the CL. There have only been 2 occasions in the last decade where they have failed to get at least that far and he was responsible for one of them. He made the last 32 of the Europa League last year but the last two times they were in the competition they won it!
That's what I mean by the expectations of the Porto fans, he's still a young manager with a winning attitude.

Don't have a problem with that at all, just don't want him as manager, don't mind Martinez as well if we can't get Vitor, would go mental if it was Lennon or O'Neil though.
Pereira as manager, Big Dunc as assistant, and Neville as first team coach...

That would be a perfect set up Bungle.

Round and Lumsden will follow Moyes probably.

Pereira as manager, Big Dunc as assistant, and Neville as first team coach...

That would be a perfect set up Bungle.

Round and Lumsden will follow Moyes probably.

I can't see any of the backroom staff following him to Man Utd, they have their own structure in place and I don't think they'll change it. I expect it to be Fergies backroom staff staying on.

on the Pereira thing. He's not loved by Porto fans. He has been regularly booed this season. He seems very thick skinned, this could be a huge asset if he gets the gig and takes a while (like lambert) to adjust. I would be interested to find out how much English he speaks

I think it's a disgrace, to be honest.

Cronyism.

Why should any outgoing manager have any say so on who replaces him? It's not a coronation for one of his mates; it's an exercise in bringing the best candidate in regardless of who Moyes thinks that would be.

That feller should just frig off to United asap and keep his mouth shut.

I like the continuity personally. Moyes knows other managers, the game and what the club needs. Chairmen generally have little idea about footballing matters on the other hand and could appoint the man who talks a good game at interview. I'm pleased that Bill is taking advice and isn't (hopefully) just going to go with whoever is fashionable. It worked when Smith suggested Moyes, so fingers crossed that it is the best method of recruitment for a stable and progressive club.

Why would Martinez have us near relegation if he took over? Wigan's wage budget is much smaller than our wage budget.

He wouldn't basically.

The argument against martinez is that his wigan team tends to finish within one positon of their wage, his first two years they had the 15th biggest wage bill and finished 16th, this year they had the 19th biggest and will finish 18th.

His players are about as good as their agents think they are. His tactics don't make them collectively out perform what they're worth individually and his coaching doesn't have players no-one thinks is worth much play like a 100k a week guy.

We pay the 10th biggest wages. If the same thing applies, that he'll get what we pay for but no more then that's bang midtable and the wage bill will have to drop. And we're back to where we were with smith.

The thing is, wigan is a hard club to manager because of various things so it's entirely possible that he'll do better relative to our wages here then he did there.

I can't see any of the backroom staff following him to Man Utd, they have their own structure in place and I don't think they'll change it. I expect it to be Fergies backroom staff staying on.
Most managers going intoa new job would want to bring in one of his backroom staff,my guess would be Phil Neville as he knows the club.

There's been rumours Moyes wants the backroom staff here... especially being with them for a few years and being use to working with them.

Only time ill tell though.

The immediate men around Moyes may change as that is normal. Having people you know and are comfortable with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back