Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Moyes Potential Replacement

Who do you want? - being realistic

• Roberto Martinez

Votes: 221 13.8%
  • Vitor Pereira

Votes: 594 37.2%
  • Neil Lennon

Votes: 40 2.5%
  • Di Matteo

Votes: 58 3.6%
  • Slaven Bilic

Votes: 73 4.6%
  • Michael Laudrup

Votes: 410 25.7%
  • Malky Mackay

Votes: 33 2.1%
  • From within the club

Votes: 60 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 108 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
What's so special about pereira? He inherited a very good side at porto

On course to win the league back to back in his first 2 seasons as manager of FC Porto, the second unbeaten in a league that consists of Benfica!. And us Evertonians know just how good Benfica are!. The Portuguese league may not be the best, but they've got the odd good team in there, and the last 2 managers of Porto, who was both successfull there, havent done too bad on the continent as of yet ay?!

They're a proper counter attacking team, too. Like us, they tend to be most vulnerable when dominating games.

There's loads of reasons why martinez might struggle there, the inability to attract players to the club, the quality of player not being suited for his type of football, the fact he has to sell a good player every year, the negative net spend etc, etc.

Best case scenario is that his generally good record in the market, his ability to get cool calm performances in big games, his ability to turn around losing teams and his taste for eays to eye football will transfer to a bigger club while his inabilty to coach defending, sluggish starts, general poor performances over a year in the league and poor record with 5 million plus signings won't.

There's some encouraging signs, for sure. I was impressed that he's tried to implement a 3-5-2 formation, something which I'm a bit of a fan of as it utilises full backs brilliantly. It shows he's not scared to try new things, something which we were rather critical of Moyes.

It wouldn't work every week but I'm fairly optimistic if Martinez gets the job.

The thing that worries me about Martinez is, after 4 years in charge, he still hasn't sorted out Wigan's dire defence. Some of the goals they concede you'd expect from a pub team. He seems to like defenders who are comfortable on the ball, but first and foremost they need to be able to defend.

Yes, I know he doesn't have much money to spend, and I do admire the way he tries to play attractive football, but Paul Jewell and Steve Bruce both finished higher in the table with Wigan than Martinez, and I don't hear anyone recommending either of them.

One thing people have forgotten about is the fact we have been very unlucky to not get Europe in the last few seasons as it usually goes down to 6/7th place. If who ever comes in achieves what's expected by the fans, a top 7 finish we could well be back in Europe. I'm going to think positively, we need a manager with European experience.

Last edited:
Lads, lads.
Awful badge and quite possibly an awful manager. LIFE IS PERFECT.

tumblr_m41a8wsSoE1r7z57y.gif

Martinez has good all-round skills with the exception of the teams defensive duties.

With Davie Weir, Alan Stubbs and Phil Neville on board I'd be more than comfortable it would be sorted.

The thing that worries me about Martinez is, after 4 years in charge, he still hasn't sorted out Wigan's dire defence. Some of the goals they concede you'd expect from a pub team. He seems to like defenders who are comfortable on the ball, but first and foremost they need to be able to defend.

Yes, I know he doesn't have much money to spend, and I do admire the way he tries to play attractive football, but Paul Jewell and Steve Bruce both finished higher in the table with Wigan than Martinez, and I don't hear anyone recommending either of them.
This is the biggest worry for most of us. Has anyone posted his record against Moyes such as win ratio, net spend, wage budget.

This appointment will show if the club is ambitious or not. A winnig mentality with European experience like Pereira, or a manager who won't rock the boat like Martinez. Personally, I find it amazing that Martinez is so highly thought of when you look at the clubs league form, regardless of the cup run. It is the only year he has had a good cup run, and even at the start he was playing weakened sides because he valued the league more. It will be a mistake hiring him, but I think we will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back