Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Moyes Potential Replacement

Who do you want? - being realistic

• Roberto Martinez

Votes: 221 13.8%
  • Vitor Pereira

Votes: 594 37.2%
  • Neil Lennon

Votes: 40 2.5%
  • Di Matteo

Votes: 58 3.6%
  • Slaven Bilic

Votes: 73 4.6%
  • Michael Laudrup

Votes: 410 25.7%
  • Malky Mackay

Votes: 33 2.1%
  • From within the club

Votes: 60 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 108 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the biggest worry for most of us. Has anyone posted his record against Moyes such as win ratio, net spend, wage budget.

I can't even find their annual reports on their website. :lol: But any way this is what I've managed to get.

Code:
8 Premier League fixtures - 4 wins, 4 draws. +5 goal difference.

1 Cup game - 1 loss. -3 goal difference.

Code:
Annual reports 2012 from 2011-2012 season.

EFC turnover - £80.5m

Wigan turnover - £52.6m

EFC staff wages including amortisation of players - £76,241,000

Wigan staff wages including amortisation of players -  £55m

I think this is all staff wages and not just player wages, like I say I can't actually find their accounts on the website, just going from a Telegraph article.

Code:
EFC net spend since 2009/2010 season - £23.1m profit
Wigan net spend since 2009/2010 season - £1.1m expenditure 

Transfer data from Transfermarkt.

What concretely have 'the team' done, and why would it be bad to 'dismantle' it?

We're not far from the finished article. Looking at our rivals we're the only team in the top seven with just one player in the topscorers chart:

United: Van Persie (25), Rooney (12)
City: Dzeko (13), Aguero (11), Tevez (11)
Chelsea: Ba (15), Lampard (15)
Spurs: Bale (20), Defoe (11)
Arsenal: Walcott (13), Cazorla (12), Giroud (11)
Everton: Fellaini (11)
Liverpool: Saurez (23), Sturridge (11)

Fella has only scored in 2 matches this year and is on a 10 match drought for club and country. If we can address this issue and turn even two of those 15 draws into wins we would be level on points with Arsenal.

Fine-tuning what we already have would be a much shorter and less expensive process than rebuilding. And anyway, we've taken 3 points off United, 4 points off City, 4 points off Spurs and we're unbeaten against Arsenal and Liverpool. There's not much wrong with the team that a goalscorer wouldn't quickly sort out.

What concretely have 'the team' done, and why would it be bad to 'dismantle' it?

Look at the RS when they dismantled their team. Pre and Post Rafael they dropped like a stone - Alonso, Mascherano, Torres etc to Carrol, Henderson, and Charlie Adam in the space of 2 years.

Whoever comes in needs to have his own ideas of how he could take the team that step further with what is already there.

I know people question Martinez because of his poor defensive record, but does anyone really think our ace back 4 would suddenly turn to **** if we got Martinez?

They are so good though because of Moyes reactionary tactics. If there is a runner that makes specific runs, or a crossing area the opposition is particularly dangerous at, a good headerer of the ball or a silky player that prefers to run at players then shoot/pass.. Moyes will have drilled it into the defence as to what is likely to happen, what to do to counter it and who needs to track back in what situations to help the back 4 to create a back 7 or 8 when we don't have the ball.

Martinez is good at one end of the pitch, but seems to not do so well at this side of preparation. 4 defenders won't keep a clean sheet often, and whereas we've been used to attacking and defending as a team, most teams down the bottom are there because they just do one or the other.

I can't even find their annual reports on their website. :lol: But any way this is what I've managed to get.

Code:
8 Premier League fixtures - 4 wins, 4 draws. +5 goal difference.

1 Cup game - 1 loss. -3 goal difference.

Code:
Annual reports 2012 from 2011-2012 season.

EFC turnover - £80.5m

Wigan turnover - £52.6m

EFC staff wages including amortisation of players - £76,241,000

Wigan staff wages including amortisation of players -  £55m

I think this is all staff wages and not just player wages, like I say I can't actually find their accounts on the website, just going from a Telegraph article.

Code:
EFC net spend since 2009/2010 season - £23.1m profit
Wigan net spend since 2009/2010 season - £1.1m expenditure 

Transfer data from Transfermarkt.

So it is a myth that Martinez has no budget to spend then.

Plus our defence won't be "Ace" for too much longer will it. Jagielka is nearly 31 and Distin is 35. The defence will need rebuilding pretty soon.

Look at the RS when they dismantled their team. Pre and Post Rafael they dropped like a stone - Alonso, Mascherano, Torres etc to Carrol, Henderson, and Charlie Adam in the space of 2 years.

Whoever comes in needs to have his own ideas of how he could take the team that step further with what is already there.

It's easily done. A new manager might decide that Coleman can't defend, Jagielka can't distribute the ball from the back and Gibson is too slow. One of our biggest strengths is that we're a tight-knit group. That spirit needs to be fostered and maintained, which will be difficult if the team is picked apart and players are brought in who don't have the same character.

It's easily done. A new manager might decide that Coleman can't defend, Jagielka can't distribute the ball from the back and Gibson is too slow. One of our biggest strengths is that we're a tight-knit group. That spirit needs to be fostered and maintained, which will be difficult if the team is picked apart and players are brought in who don't have the same character.

That's what I see if this Porto manager came in.

Martinez will want to actually manage some quality players for a change and knows the type of players at Everton, so you'd feel he'd be more in they way to add to what we've got rather than change.

We're not far from the finished article. Looking at our rivals we're the only team in the top seven with just one player in the topscorers chart:

United: Van Persie (25), Rooney (12)
City: Dzeko (13), Aguero (11), Tevez (11)
Chelsea: Ba (15), Lampard (15)
Spurs: Bale (20), Defoe (11)
Arsenal: Walcott (13), Cazorla (12), Giroud (11)
Everton: Fellaini (11)
Liverpool: Saurez (23), Sturridge (11)

Fella has only scored in 2 matches this year and is on a 10 match drought for club and country. If we can address this issue and turn even two of those 15 draws into wins we would be level on points with Arsenal.

Fine-tuning what we already have would be a much shorter and less expensive process than rebuilding. And anyway, we've taken 3 points off United, 4 points off City, 4 points off Spurs and we're unbeaten against Arsenal and Liverpool. There's not much wrong with the team that a goalscorer wouldn't quickly sort out.

laugh.gif

Apologies, for some reason I thought you were referring to the team of training staff he'd assembled around him in his period here.

I know this may sound redundant at this point, but the number one quality for the new manager must be his ability to identify undervalued talent, like a Coleman, Miralles, etc. With our budget, and the fact that all 5 teams above us (and the RS) will have much more money, this is really the only thing that matters. Without this skill in abundance, we will simply be a NW Fulham for the foreseeable future.

Lad on twitter who usually nails the starting xi's day or two in advance has just tweeted that he has been told it is defo Martinez getting the gig.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back