Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Moyes Potential Replacement

Who do you want? - being realistic

• Roberto Martinez

Votes: 221 13.8%
  • Vitor Pereira

Votes: 594 37.2%
  • Neil Lennon

Votes: 40 2.5%
  • Di Matteo

Votes: 58 3.6%
  • Slaven Bilic

Votes: 73 4.6%
  • Michael Laudrup

Votes: 410 25.7%
  • Malky Mackay

Votes: 33 2.1%
  • From within the club

Votes: 60 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 108 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
He wouldn't basically.

The argument against martinez is that his wigan team tends to finish within one positon of their wage, his first two years they had the 15th biggest wage bill and finished 16th, this year they had the 19th biggest and will finish 18th.

His players are about as good as their agents think they are. His tactics don't make them collectively our perform what their worth individually.

We pay the 10th biggest wages. If the same thing applies, that he'll get what we pay for but no more then that's bang midtable and the wage bill will have to drop. And we're back to where we were with smith.

The thing is, wigan is a hard club to manager because of various things so it's entirely possible that he'll do better relative to our wages here then he did there.

Someone made a good point the other day about how poor Wigan's pitch is yet they still try to play it along the floor and it goes against them. Yet when Wigan play away they often play nice football. Not sure how true that is but it's interesting.

Also, their support is pitiful. They take barely any fans around the country.

Most managers going intoa new job would want to bring in one of his backroom staff,my guess would be Phil Neville as he knows the club.

I can't see Neville ending up back at Utd though and with the setup they already seem to have in place there are they really going to want to make more changes than they need to? I reckon it'll be a case of Moyes slotting in there with the existing staff and guidance from Ferguson as and when he wants/needs it.

Had he gone to a job that wasn't as high profile I suspect he would have taken his own staff with him.

I can't see Neville ending up back at Utd though and with the setup they already seem to have in place there are they really going to want to make more changes than they need to? I reckon it'll be a case of Moyes slotting in there with the existing staff and guidance from Ferguson as and when he wants/needs it.
Good post mate.

If Martinez is the gentleman Dave whelan makes him out to be he won't leave Wigan if they are relegated. He'll want to bring them back up, if he doesn't then I'm not sure i want him at Goodison

Had he gone to a job that wasn't as high profile I suspect he would have taken his own staff with him.

You'd think this would be the case, united's back room staff are a level above ours but Davey has a 6 year contract, he's worked with round, woods etc for years. I'd be amazed if he didn't want some of his own guys in there with him.

Someone made a good point the other day about how poor Wigan's pitch is yet and their tactics don't go well together at all. Yet when Wigan play away they often play nice football. Not sure how true that is but it's interesting.

Also, their support is pitiful. They take barely any fans around the country.

They're a proper counter attacking team, too. Like us, they tend to be most vulnerable when dominating games.

There's loads of reasons why martinez might struggle there, the inability to attract players to the club, the quality of player not being suited for his type of football, the fact he has to sell a good player every year, the negative net spend etc, etc.

Best case scenario is that his generally good record in the market, his ability to get cool calm performances in big games, his ability to turn around losing teams and his taste for eays to eye football will transfer to a bigger club while his inabilty to coach defending, sluggish starts, general poor performances over a year in the league and poor record with 5 million plus signings won't.

I like the continuity personally. Moyes knows other managers, the game and what the club needs. Chairmen generally have little idea about footballing matters on the other hand and could appoint the man who talks a good game at interview. I'm pleased that Bill is taking advice and isn't (hopefully) just going to go with whoever is fashionable. It worked when Smith suggested Moyes, so fingers crossed that it is the best method of recruitment for a stable and progressive club.

I disagree. First, there's a potential conflict of interests: does he really want the best man for the job who can come in and achieve what he couldn't (or deconstruct the way of organisation he's put in place)..ego can get in the way; second, and related, he's bound to put forward people with his own characteristics and method of operating...and that just leads to a lack of development.

We dont want dyansties. Fair enough if he'd swept the board winning a few trophies and playing great football, but that isn't the case here. We need a fresh start and if Moyes is having a hand in the choice of his successor then we have less chance of that happening.

...I think Moyes has already said that Lumsden is the only one he's taking. I suspect Round's days are numbered. As for Martinez staying loyal to Wigan if they are relegated I suspect that is a romantic notion. I'd be amazed if he doesn't move whilst his stock is high.

You'd think this would be the case, united's back room staff are a level above ours but Davey has a 6 year contract, he's worked with round, woods etc for years. I'd be amazed if he didn't want some of his own guys in there with him.

I couldn't help but think Steve Round had lucked out massively if he got a job at Utd, I don't really rate him at all, I don't know why, maybe I just hate the headset to much.

...I think Moyes has already said that Lumsden is the only one he's taking. I suspect Round's days are numbered. As for Martinez staying loyal to Wigan if they are relegated I suspect that is a romantic notion. I'd be amazed if he doesn't move whilst his stock is high.

He owes Wigan nothing. He could have jumped ship in the last two summers but stayed on after testing the water. He's kept them up whilst being undercut by that [Poor language removed] owner and he's won them their first ever major honour in football.

Martinez is definitely off. Whether it's to us or not I dont know. We'd be very fortunate to secure his services.

I couldn't help but think Steve Round had lucked out massively if he got a job at Utd, I don't really rate him at all, I don't know why, maybe I just hate the headset to much.

To me it's always looked like woods has had quite a bit of input during matches, possibly why he obviously hasn't been improving our keepers.

I disagree. First, there's a potential conflict of interests: does he really want the best man for the job who can come in and achieve what he couldn't (or deconstruct the way of organisation he's put in place)..ego can get in the way; second, and related, he's bound to put forward people with his own characteristics and method of operating...and that just leads to a lack of development.

We dont want dyansties. Fair enough if he'd swept the board winning a few trophies and playing great football, but that isn't the case here. We need a fresh start and if Moyes is having a hand in the choice of his successor then we have less chance of that happening.

Brilliant post. Absolutely spot on.

To me it's always looked like woods has had quite a bit of input during matches, possibly why he obviously hasn't been improving our keepers.

I'd quite happily see the back of Woods and Round, they both look worried that a lip reader might uncover their master plan unless they cover their mouth at every opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back