Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Moyes Potential Replacement

Who do you want? - being realistic

• Roberto Martinez

Votes: 221 13.8%
  • Vitor Pereira

Votes: 594 37.2%
  • Neil Lennon

Votes: 40 2.5%
  • Di Matteo

Votes: 58 3.6%
  • Slaven Bilic

Votes: 73 4.6%
  • Michael Laudrup

Votes: 410 25.7%
  • Malky Mackay

Votes: 33 2.1%
  • From within the club

Votes: 60 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 108 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
After winning a cup? And me absolutely hating him?

All I have to lose is about £25!

I don't like Wigan, I don't like Dave Whelan, I think Martinez is a decent manager for a club like Wigan, but I think Everton a manager more adept at continuing the growth Moyes did, not fighting relegation.

You all bang on about fighting relegation I've offered to wager all of you if Martinez takes over and no takers so far.

If Pereira is that unpopular at Porto why would they want to let us have any of their players and why would they follow him to Everton? I'd want to know a lot more about him before I thought about letting him have the reins at our club.

I don't see the attraction of Martinez. Going back through his time with Wigan:

11/12 They only won 1 of the first 12 matches, including a 9 game losing streak. They lost 4-0 to Arsenal and 5-0 to United.
10/11 The lost 4-0 at home to Blackpool on the opening day and then 6-0 at home to Chelsea. Man U and Sunderland also put 4 past them.
9/10 They won just 3 of their last 20 games of the season. The following teams hammered them: United 0-5, Blackpool 4-1, Arsenal 4-0, Portsmouth 4-0, Spurs 9-1, United 5-0, Bolton 4-0 and Chelsea 8-0.

He's had so many whoopings that it can't be down to coming up against a team in form or individual errors. It has to be something more fundamental in the way he coaches his side.

Very true. But I think its more down to Martinez openness and naivety in games that the better teams latch on to, soak in them having the ball, and counterattack them. Then there's the days when they just don't turn up. Its no real surprise them getting battered by the United's etc.

He has them playing a certain way and doesn't change that. The team play it, don't score then eventually concede. Their heads go down but they still try to play the same way but without the same intensity.

The only time it seems that they seem to step up is when they're under the cosh at the end of the season, he tweaks a few things, and they end up getting results at the toughest of grounds...playing good football.

It seems more of a "don't worry, we keep playing this way, it'll work out". And it does for them...as Wigan's aim is to stay in the premiership.

There lies the problem. His naivety and reluctance to change until he really, really needs to. And when he does, he show's why a lot rate him highly.

Now, the only thing you can hope for that he's not as stubborn if he came here as bigger things are at stake. And the goodison faithful will let him know if he's being a bit daft...something he'll have never experienced.

If he had any sense, he'd know this, and step up his skills as we wont put up with the **** the Wigan fans would.

Martinez has a net spend of -11.65m because he's had his best players sold and been given peanuts in return.

And he still won the FA CUP.

Check the older post #8462:

EFC net spend since 2009/2010 season - £23.1m profit
Wigan net spend since 2009/2010 season - £1.1m expenditure

Transfer data from Transfermarkt.

And Wigan will relegate. His record in the league is very bad.

I think Martinez is the best realistic option, but I'm not sure he's as savvy in the transfer market as we need him to be.
McCarthy, Moses and Kone were excellent buys, but there's not many others. I really hope its because of how difficult it must be to convince good players to choose to play for 4,000 fans every week.

If Wigan go down maybe Whelan will 'relent' and let us have Martinez because he's too good to be in the Championship, provided that we give them a big pay off! Maybe Martinez will do the honourable thing and resign if he takes them down? Maybe Bill will only be interested if he keeps them up? I don't want him at Everton and I'll be wishing for whatever it takes to keep him at the DW.

Martinez has a net spend of -11.65m because he's had his best players sold and been given peanuts in return.

And he still won the FA CUP.

Moyes net spend +16.5m.

Close to 30m difference and we moan about Moyes doesn't get backed.

Wait...

If Martinez gets Wigan relegated. It's like a get out of jail cause?!!!

Dave will insist he deserves to manager at a higher level.

OH FFS

I reckon Martinez has turned down other jobs because he knows he has a job for life with Whelan.

Moving to RS and Villa might have lasted a year or so before the he would have been sacked. He knows at Everton he'll be given time by BK to succeed.

I really want Martinez, I like his football style (we have defensive coaches that will keep the defence tight), his loyalty, belief and his calm confident manner. He knows the PL and can work within a budget. No way BK takes a punt on a foreign manager.

For every new foreign manager that succeeds in the PL another fails. No better than British managers or ones that have managed in the PL before. I for one, don't see the fascination with them.

...er....you do realise Martinez is one of dem fer furreners, like :unsure:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back