Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Moyes Potential Replacement

Who do you want? - being realistic

• Roberto Martinez

Votes: 221 13.8%
  • Vitor Pereira

Votes: 594 37.2%
  • Neil Lennon

Votes: 40 2.5%
  • Di Matteo

Votes: 58 3.6%
  • Slaven Bilic

Votes: 73 4.6%
  • Michael Laudrup

Votes: 410 25.7%
  • Malky Mackay

Votes: 33 2.1%
  • From within the club

Votes: 60 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 108 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
That bloke has just won the FA cup and deservedly so , they were the better team against both us and City .
Oh I totally agree. So why are they going down? Where has the team that played so well in the cup final been all season? Getting up for a cup final is one thing, but what about the 38 League games? His motivational "skills" must be utter pony.

steve bruce managed to get wigan 11th ffs! and that was after selling pretty much all their top players!! get bruce in ffs!

People don't seem to understand that net spend figures vary wildly depending on when you start counting, as many clubs don't spend big and sell big in the same year.

We spent about 8 mil on lee carsley, richard wright, and joe yobo and a couple others in 2002, which is why the figures Phenom are showing differ so wildly from the telegraph numbers. Of course, it's hard to say whether player purchases are made against past or future sales.

Net spend is a poor metric for this, think about how much our net spend changes if you start counting the day before rooney was sold versus the day after. Mind, I don't know of a better metric to determine which manager is a better value, but I know that you all won't find an objective way to resolve this the way you're going about it.

No I wouldn't massively disagree with that and I'm not convinced that he's the answer but the sad reality is the short list isn't the best in the world but its what it is . It's not because its everton the RS struggled and without taking the mickey united have appointed a manager without a trophy to his name .

I think Martinez looks , at present , about the most likely candidate both in terms of availability & general CV . That bloke has just won the FA cup and deservedly so , they were the better team against both us and City .

I think if we have an argument that moyes will do better with better players then I suppose it's only appropriate to apply it to Martinez as well .

he definitely went up in my estimation after the final. Not my first choice, but still, didn't concede a goal in the quarters, semis or final and were the better team in all setting out to win. That's what i want from an everton boss, not moyes' play not to lose strategy which backfired every single time apart from when we scraped a pens win vs United.

I remember martinez taking swansea away to doncaster when they were top of the division in league 1 and they spanked them 4-0; went on to stroll the league at that point. He also had a good defensive record that season for those who keep going on about it, not even a good swansea defence either. That wigan one he has now is shocking, worst in the league easily, it's no wonder he can't do much with it, what kind of good defender would want to join wigan as well?

He has balls, i like balls

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...llow-top-four-contenders-chelsea-8432831.html

http://www.ftbpro.com/posts/the.uns...moyes-wonders-on-a-shoestring-merely-a-cliche

Tight Toffees: Everton spending

* Net spend of ever-present clubs in the Premier League since 2002/03 - David Moyes' first full season in charge at Goodison Park.

Chelsea £526.5m

Manchester City £441.7m

Liverpool £173.8m

Tottenham £173.7m

Manchester United £155.4m

Aston Villa £103.7m

Arsenal £32.7m

Fulham £27.3m

Everton £13.9m

£13.9m divided by 11 seasons = £1.26m per season net spend
That's incredible really and still some fans weren't satisfied with Moyes. We've finished 6th, one place and a few points behind Spurs who have spend 160 million more in Moyes' time in charge. Incredible. I guess that's why he is now manager of the biggest club in the land, recommended by the best manager in the land.

Oh I totally agree. So why are they going down? Where has the team that played so well in the cup final been all season? Getting up for a cup final is one thing, but what about the 38 League games? His motivational "skills" must be utter pony.

We're everton, we can beat about 13 of the premier league teams without having to get out of 2nd gear, as long as we don't hang on for 1 goal leads all the time. We NEED to get up for the big games as it is what will be the difference between europe and not. We've done well in them this season, but we still failed to beat any of them away to make a big statement

30m and an FA Cup difference.

I like Moyes but Martinez isn't what you all make him out to be.

£24m or whatever then again so what? Wigan will lose £60/70m next season when they are not playing in the Premier League next season. For god sake Moyes has managed Everton for 11 seasons. Martinez managed Wigan since 2009. All I know is they will relegate and don't know when are they going to play in the best league again.

30m and an FA Cup difference.

I like Moyes but Martinez isn't what you all make him out to be.

Moyes couldn't get Preston promoted. Choked in the play off final vs Big Sam's Bolton. Was 7th in the Championship when we came calling.

We need to decide on what we're looking for.

We won't get an exact copy of Moyes, or someone just as good RIGHT NOW, because if they were that good RIGHT NOW, they would have been in the frame for the Utd job.

So our target has to be someone who can take Moyes' blueprint and basically carry it on. Not an awful lot is wrong at Everton on the playing side of the set up. Maybe in a few years time they will become as good as Moyes became.

We need someone who can step into his shoes, embrace what Moyes has done, have some fresh ideas, but nothing too radical, nothing that will shake up the system too much.

A rookie/someone with no Premier League experience is a MASSIVE gamble, whether we are talking Malky Mackay, Vitor Pereira or Neil Lennon.

Martinez has served his apprenticeship. He's got Prem experience with Wigan, hung in the top flight for 4 years, took them to Wembley, giant-killed and achieved. Remind anyone of Joe Royle at Oldham? If Martinez was an ex-EFC player, like Royle, and had just won the FA Cup after knocking us out at Goodison along the way, he'd be the overwhelming favourite.

Moyes couldn't get Preston promoted. Choked in the play off final vs Big Sam's Bolton. Was 7th in the Championship when we came calling.

We need to decide on what we're looking for.

We won't get an exact copy of Moyes, or someone just as good RIGHT NOW, because if they were that good RIGHT NOW, they would have been in the frame for the Utd job.

So our target has to be someone who can take Moyes' blueprint and basically carry it on. Not an awful lot is wrong at Everton on the playing side of the set up. Maybe in a few years time they will become as good as Moyes became.

We need someone who can step into his shoes, embrace what Moyes has done, have some fresh ideas, but nothing too radical, nothing that will shake up the system too much.

A rookie/someone with no Premier League experience is a MASSIVE gamble, whether we are talking Malky Mackay, Vitor Pereira or Neil Lennon.

Martinez has served his apprenticeship. He's got Prem experience with Wigan, hung in the top flight for 4 years, took them to Wembley, giant-killed and achieved. Remind anyone of Joe Royle at Oldham? If Martinez was an ex-EFC player, like Royle, and had just won the FA Cup after knocking us out at Goodison along the way, he'd be the overwhelming favourite.

Moyes choked in a big game? Not having that mate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back