Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Moyes Potential Replacement

Who do you want? - being realistic

• Roberto Martinez

Votes: 221 13.8%
  • Vitor Pereira

Votes: 594 37.2%
  • Neil Lennon

Votes: 40 2.5%
  • Di Matteo

Votes: 58 3.6%
  • Slaven Bilic

Votes: 73 4.6%
  • Michael Laudrup

Votes: 410 25.7%
  • Malky Mackay

Votes: 33 2.1%
  • From within the club

Votes: 60 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 108 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
We're everton, we can beat about 13 of the premier league teams without having to get out of 2nd gear, as long as we don't hang on for 1 goal leads all the time. We NEED to get up for the big games as it is what will be the difference between europe and not. We've done well in them this season, but we still failed to beat any of them away to make a big statement
But I'm talking about Wigan and Martinez. They showed what they could do against us, and Manchester City in the final where they all but dominated. Why are they getting relegated? You need to get the best out of your team on a Saturday for a League game not just an FA Cup final. He's clearly failed to do that.

I know people question Martinez because of his poor defensive record, but does anyone really think our ace back 4 would suddenly turn to **** if we got Martinez?

Exactly!. Ive said before, our back 5 you can say, which can consist of either Howard, Coleman/Hibbert, Jags, Distin/Heitinga & Baines, as been schooled, and well drilled by Moyesy for years and know there roles within the team to a tee and i dont think Martinez coming in (IF he comes in?!) will have much of an effect on that, he may want em to play out from the back more, but he wont change how each individual defends!.

I just think, with better players and a better club, he will truly flurish and keep us ticking over.

But i wouldnt be against the appointment of Pereira. Done really well at Porto, managed in the CL and as dealt with selling stars and rebuilding, and seems to know the South American market well.

whoever we get wont be as good as moyes but hopefully the tv deal means aslong as that snake Kenwright backs the manager with £10-20 mil a season without having to sell we can stay around the same part of the table

No I wouldn't massively disagree with that and I'm not convinced that he's the answer but the sad reality is the short list isn't the best in the world but its what it is . It's not because its everton the RS struggled and without taking the mickey united have appointed a manager without a trophy to his name .

I think Martinez looks , at present , about the most likely candidate both in terms of availability & general CV . That bloke has just won the FA cup and deservedly so , they were the better team against both us and City .

I think if we have an argument that moyes will do better with better players then I suppose it's only appropriate to apply it to Martinez as well .

Spot on that mate.

On the target list issue: I wouldn't even say it's disappointing. Realistically we were never in the hunt for the type of managers quoted when an elite club are looking to change managers. And I think there's an enormous conceit amongst Evertonians at the moment (many anyway) who see perfectly reasonably replacements (or certainly suggestions for pursuit) and denigrate them as not good enough. You'd think we'd just lost an irreplaceable winner who'd led us to the promised land rather than a decent enough solid manager who was given a lot of time to assemble a consistent style of play and group of players. The fact is we just lost a decent manager and we dont have much else going for a higher grade manager to be interested. The Laudrup, Martinez, McKay types are our quarry. There's no one better out there who we will get.

But I'm talking about Wigan and Martinez. They showed what they could do against us, and Manchester City in the final where they all but dominated. Why are they getting relegated? You need to get the best out of your team on a Saturday for a League game not just an FA Cup final.

Not if your chairman wants you to win the cup more than stay up. Which i think Whelan really wanted.

People saying Martinez would have us fighting relegation.

If Martinez has avoided relegation for three seasons with a s***e squad compared to ours, why on earth would he be fighting relegation with our squad ?

The quality of the players alone will make us mid table.

Spot on that mate.

On the target list issue: I wouldn't even say it's disappointing. Realistically we were never in the hunt for the type of managers quoted when an elite club are looking to change managers. And I think there's an enormous conceit amongst Evertonians at the moment (many anyway) who see perfectly reasonably replacements (or certainly suggestions for pursuit) and denigrate them as not good enough. You'd think we'd just lost an irreplaceable winner who'd led us to the promised land rather than a decent enough solid manager who was given a lot of time to assemble a consistent style of play and group of players. The fact is we just lost a decent manager and we dont have much else going for a higher grade manager to be interested. The Laudrup, Martinez, McKay types are our quarry. There's no one better out there who we will get.

Try telling that to Fergie, Charlton and the United board.

If Martinez has avoided relegation for three seasons with a s***e squad compared to ours, why on earth would he be fighting relegation with our squad ?

What a future, a penniless owner, mid table team and a manager who has spent the last 3 years avoiding the trap door.

Ambition stage exit left.

Anyone that gets a team relegated does not qualify as a potential replacement for Everton.

Regardless of net spend.

He's selling our squad to bring in boyce and caldwell

Martinez with a staff of Neville/Weir/Stubbs/Ferguson would be great i think!
Neville would help him settle in. Weir and Stubbs will obviously help out with the sorting of defence and youth and Ferguson and Sheeds the exact same.

Manager: Martinez and Assistant Manager: Neville... I wouldnt complain one bit.

Mate, Martinez will bring his own right hand man in, Graeme Jones!. Neville will go to United. I wouldnt be against Weir, Big Dunc or Stubbsy being first team coach though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back