Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Moyes Potential Replacement

Who do you want? - being realistic

• Roberto Martinez

Votes: 221 13.8%
  • Vitor Pereira

Votes: 594 37.2%
  • Neil Lennon

Votes: 40 2.5%
  • Di Matteo

Votes: 58 3.6%
  • Slaven Bilic

Votes: 73 4.6%
  • Michael Laudrup

Votes: 410 25.7%
  • Malky Mackay

Votes: 33 2.1%
  • From within the club

Votes: 60 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 108 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I still cant believe that appointment. I suppose the way to look at it is that Ferguson is still there and will still be a big influence on the team, so things wont slip that badly if or when Moyes is struggling. Also, once Ferguson has had a year out, and if Moyes is struggling, SAF I have no doubt would step back in.

In short: they have insurance cover.

Ferguson chose his successor & the choice he made was Moyes. The best manager the game has ever seen thought that Mioyes was his rightful heir. Deal with it Dave, as that just comes across as bitter :lol:

as a manager is it not your job to sort the scouting out?

Depends on the management system which is in place.

Besides, scouts also want paying, and Wigan don't pay anybody big wages.

I think if you look at Wigan's transfers and consider the money he's had Martinez has done okay.

Moses, Diame, Kone, McCarthy, Al Habsi for £9.2m

Last edited:
Spot on that mate.

On the target list issue: I wouldn't even say it's disappointing. Realistically we were never in the hunt for the type of managers quoted when an elite club are looking to change managers. And I think there's an enormous conceit amongst Evertonians at the moment (many anyway) who see perfectly reasonably replacements (or certainly suggestions for pursuit) and denigrate them as not good enough. You'd think we'd just lost an irreplaceable winner who'd led us to the promised land rather than a decent enough solid manager who was given a lot of time to assemble a consistent style of play and group of players. The fact is we just lost a decent manager and we dont have much else going for a higher grade manager to be interested. The Laudrup, Martinez, McKay types are our quarry. There's no one better out there who we will get.

I think it's only not disappointing to you because your contempt for the board is ingrained into your brain to the extent that you expect them to treat the club like a toilet. Whilst I wouldn't be surprised if our shortlist was made up of bog standard run of the mill managers, I'd still be disappointed. Everton is a good name, we pay lots of money to the manager, play in the Premier League and have finished reasonably high up in the table consistently. We should be able to attract someone at least on the outer edges of the big time. We have a much greater chance of getting a top manager in now than we will if we finish in the lower half even once in the next few seasons.

steve bruce managed to get wigan 11th ffs! and that was after selling pretty much all their top players!! get bruce in ffs!

To be fair, they sold two first team players under Bruce, Palacios and Ryan Taylor.

He was given all of that money to spend bringing in,

Valencia - £5m
N'Zogbia - £6m
Watson - £2m
Cattermole - £3.5m
Kapo - £3.5m

In Martinez's first season they gained around £22m by selling Valencia and Cattermole, he was given not even half of that to spend, bringing in,

Moses - £2.5m
Caldwell - £500k
Gohouri Free
Diame £2.5m
Amaya - £250k
McCarthy - £2.5m
Jason Scotland - £2m
Thomas - Free
Jordi Gomez - £1.7m

I think it's only not disappointing to you because your contempt for the board is ingrained into your brain to the extent that you expect them to treat the club like a toilet. Whilst I wouldn't be surprised if our shortlist was made up of bog standard run of the mill managers, I'd still be disappointed. Everton is a good name, we pay lots of money to the manager, play in the Premier League and have finished reasonably high up in the table consistently. We should be able to attract someone at least on the outer edges of the big time. We have a much greater chance of getting a top manager in now than we will if we finish in the lower half even once in the next few seasons.

Everton is a good name
: it is, but it's not going to attract the type of managers touted. Pereira as an example - do me a favour. He's going to want to swap his job for something contintal based with CL attached and a great working environemnt. That, is not us. We're just not shopping in that market and the sooner the snearing at managers who fall short of that the better. I wish it weren't true, but it is. Everton's current status does not carry much kudos amongst that bracket of manager.

We pay lots of money: I doubt someone is walking right into the thick end of £4M p.a. straight away on taking up this job. No way will the board leave themselves open to paying that type of compo if/when it goes arse up.

We really need to settle down here and stop being so dismissive. There's no route to the next level anyway with the current owners in place. We're looking for someone to come in and make us safe league status wise, offer a brand of football that's consistently pleasing on the eye, and maybe sends the team out with a bit of fire in their bellies for a big game...while we're waiting for Bill Kenwright's departure.

Ferguson chose his successor & the choice he made was Moyes. The best manager the game has ever seen thought that Mioyes was his rightful heir. Deal with it Dave, as that just comes across as bitter :lol:

United have obviously not learnt anything from history otherwise it would be a clean break for Ferguson. They had Busby hovering in the wings for years after he retired and it took them 25 years to sort themselves out including a relegation.

Moyes would be better off standing on his 2 feet as every time they have a bad run there fans will be calling for Ferguson to step back in.

What he fails to mention is that Moyes had already taken Preston from League One.

But oh well.

Yeah, and Martinez took Swansea from League One (winning the title, just like Moyes) into the Championship as well.

My original point was not to dismiss Moyes, it was to point out every manager has a flaw that you could point at and go, 'Hmm, not for me...' People have worries over Martinez' defensive tactics and yeah, that's a fair shout. But I'd say there are less doubts over Martinez than there were over Moyes, and also less doubts over Martinez than there are with nearly all of the other names mentioned.

Martinez created the style of play that led Swansea to where they are now (not Rodgers who tried to take the credit, and dare I say not Laudrup, who changed a few players but not the style and played to the existing players strengths).

Depends on the management system which is in place.

Besides, scouts also want paying, and Wigan don't pay anybody big wages.

I think if you look at Wigan's transfers and consider the money he's had Martinez has done okay.

Moses, Diame, Kone, McCarthy, Al Habsi for £9.2m

if you are a manager then its down to you imo a head coach on the other hand!

ramis and boselli for £11.5m

To be fair, they sold two first team players under Bruce, Palacios and Ryan Taylor.

He was given all of that money to spend bringing in,

Marlon King - £5m
Valencia - £5m
N'Zogbia - £6m
Watson - £2m
Cattermole - £3.5m
Kapo - £3.5m

In Martinez's first season they gained around £22m by selling Valencia and Cattermole, he was given not even half of that to spend, bringing in,

Moses - £2.5m
Caldwell - £500k
Gohouri Free
Diame £2.5m
Amaya - £250k
McCarthy - £2.5m
Jason Scotland - £2m
Thomas - Free
Jordi Gomez - £1.7m

a few decent players for what they paid.

and it is wigan. it must be so hard to get any good players in. stones looked like he was going there all of deadline day but he was just holding out until we came in

Last edited:

The squad we have now is Moyes squad and its been built brilliantly. Now, a new manager will come in and in a few years players would have left and new ones would've needed bringing in, so how would Martinez replace Distin, Jagielka, Osman, Howard, (I'm excluding the youth lads) he's not the greatest at signing gems. Are we gonna see another Seamus Coleman, Tim Cahill, Joleon Lescott, Darron Gibson? Or is he gonna see a transfer budget of £20 million and sign someone worth £5 million for £8 million and on and on? Or is he gonna be like Moyes and do great business? If Moyes had stayed we would've been title contenders in four seasons. Am I making sense? Can you see the point I'm making?

Is the new manager gonna urinate the transfer budget up the wall?

if you are a manager then its down to you imo a head coach on the other hand!

ramis and boselli for £11.5m

Ramis has been hampered with injuries, Boselli came from Argentina with a prolific goal scoring record.

Not every manager gets it right, the greatest manager this country has produced forked out £7.5million on Bebe.

Speaking of dud defenders though we can't forget Moyes spent £5m on Kroldrup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back