Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Moyes Potential Replacement

Who do you want? - being realistic

• Roberto Martinez

Votes: 221 13.8%
  • Vitor Pereira

Votes: 594 37.2%
  • Neil Lennon

Votes: 40 2.5%
  • Di Matteo

Votes: 58 3.6%
  • Slaven Bilic

Votes: 73 4.6%
  • Michael Laudrup

Votes: 410 25.7%
  • Malky Mackay

Votes: 33 2.1%
  • From within the club

Votes: 60 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 108 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Martinez would come in and take the club on again imo. He will have real quality to manage in that squad compared to what he has now. To be honest the man I really want to come in is Rafael Benitez, with our squad we could at least get a top 6 finish again next season as long as there is some degree of investment in playing staff. I think he's touting his name for the job as well.

Good article in The Times today about Pereira - mentioned us as potential next move for him. I think he would be a good fit. He's used to operating in similar circumstances to us and would expect him to have good contacts in the Latin American and Iberian peninsular markets. Seems to like similar style to us also - strong defence and hit on the break.
Paper also had article about Guidolin at Udinese - they've made £83m on transfers in last 4 years and are currently 5th in Serie A. Not really heard of him before, but that's a hell of an impressive record.

Same reason why he took over a team who finished 11th and made them permanent relagation battles and now relagated.

They finished 9 points lower in his first season, after selling three of their most influential players. They also got Zaki in for a year in 2008-09 and he scored 11 goals for them. He wasn't there in 2009-10 either.

But hey, don't let facts get in the way of blind slating.

Last edited:

Can I just add - the odds are total bunkum and should almost entirely be ignored unless every bookies all of a sudden stops taking bets on a name and then, and only then, there may be something in it.

Stubbs in! Knows modern football, is an Evertonian, knows what we need, and knows the kids at the club. STUBBS IN!!!!!!!

Moyes couldn't get Preston promoted. Choked in the play off final vs Big Sam's Bolton. Was 7th in the Championship when we came calling.

We need to decide on what we're looking for.

We won't get an exact copy of Moyes, or someone just as good RIGHT NOW, because if they were that good RIGHT NOW, they would have been in the frame for the Utd job.

So our target has to be someone who can take Moyes' blueprint and basically carry it on. Not an awful lot is wrong at Everton on the playing side of the set up. Maybe in a few years time they will become as good as Moyes became.

We need someone who can step into his shoes, embrace what Moyes has done, have some fresh ideas, but nothing too radical, nothing that will shake up the system too much.

A rookie/someone with no Premier League experience is a MASSIVE gamble, whether we are talking Malky Mackay, Vitor Pereira or Neil Lennon.

Martinez has served his apprenticeship. He's got Prem experience with Wigan, hung in the top flight for 4 years, took them to Wembley, giant-killed and achieved. Remind anyone of Joe Royle at Oldham? If Martinez was an ex-EFC player, like Royle, and had just won the FA Cup after knocking us out at Goodison along the way, he'd be the overwhelming favourite.

Bang on the numbers mate - plain as day.

I reckon with Weir and Stubbs as defensive coaches, and Neville as his right hand man ( although I reckon he'll insist on bringing in Graham Jones with him) he'll be a bloody good manager for Evertons current squad of players....and, he'll bring in some decent 'off the radar' transfers.

Even Walter Smith took over a terrible squad and was given money to spend, before having Ferguson sold from under him, having to sell his signings like Materazzi, Dacourt, etc., we were THOUGHT OF AS A MASSIVE CLUB. One that was underachieving. Sleeping Giant. Now we're a top 6-7 club again Moyes' brilliant managing and manipulation of the media has led to people like Dave Whelan saying we're not a big European club anymore. Absolute crap. If it was not for Everton, Liverpool would not even exist!

Plenty of people in Europe would love to manage Everton. Of course we could entice a Pereira but the worry is, he'll be led on like Moyes waiting for money to spend or a new stadium or new investment and will never get it.

Trust me, and it's down to people like you, EVERTON is one of the coolest clubs, like Napoli, in the world. Like River Plate like Boca Juniors like Inter Milan. Even that young brazilian kid Neymar called Man Utd boring. Moyes is a [Poor language removed] for ditching us.

Let's not go for a Martinez lets go for a big-name. Someone who if he doesn't get us top 4 has failed! Martinez and the board overseeing him would be happy with top 12.

It's got to be a Pereira or a potential Mourinho. Someone inspiring. Even a Bilic.

I have faith in Alan Stubbs more than a Martinez. Stubbs could defend, and he's done well in the job he's been given at Everton. He's a liverpudlian with an accent who could really inspire his signings to play for the badge.

Stubb's has no managerial experience where it matters, for the reasons you've put I'd take him as assistant manager maybe.

I swear if someone recommends Mancini I'm going 90% windmill

IF someone says i want michael laudrup even though he has no idea of what Evertononians expect and doesn't want to leave Swansea for us, and has said so already, I'll cut my hair off. I mean balls.

Last edited:
IF someone says i want michael laudrup even though he has no idea of what Evertons expect and doesn't want to leave Swansea for us, and has said so already, I'll cut my hair off. I mean balls.

Vitor is no marbles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back