Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Moyes Potential Replacement

Who do you want? - being realistic

• Roberto Martinez

Votes: 221 13.8%
  • Vitor Pereira

Votes: 594 37.2%
  • Neil Lennon

Votes: 40 2.5%
  • Di Matteo

Votes: 58 3.6%
  • Slaven Bilic

Votes: 73 4.6%
  • Michael Laudrup

Votes: 410 25.7%
  • Malky Mackay

Votes: 33 2.1%
  • From within the club

Votes: 60 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 108 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
A simple no for me on Martinez. I don't care that he won the FA Cup - he also got his side relegated with it. Plenty of sides have gotten to the FA Cup Final and gotten relegated with it, where Wigan came up trumps was a truly dreadful display by Man City. Lets also be honest, they made the semi-final through probably our worst performance of the season. Basically he got lucky.

Wigan might've played some nice looking football, they also conceded a bucket load of goals with it. Simple lesson here; if the opposition don't/can't score, you won't lose. I.E. become hard to beat first and develop it from there. Martinez failed to do that and has only survived this long because of some lucky results coupled with the driving force of fear. In that sense (fear) the worst thing that could've happened to Wigan did on Saturday - they won. Try and recover yourself from that massive high to get on with saving your arses in the bread & butter competition of the league - especially against a side with something to play for in Arsenal, (some may point to City here - they'd already qualified for the Champions League and Mancini was getting the boot regardless) it was never going to happen.

Sure. It wasn't the strength that got us 6th, though. Not even close. That's been our wing play.

That wasn't my point though. Martinez has done nothing tactically to sort out his piss-poor defence all season, and it's proving to be the death of them. Since we're not going to be bossing the league next year, I would like a manager who can react to weaknesses and correct them.

That wasn't my point though. Moyes has done nothing tactically to sort out his piss-poor attempts at winning at the Emirates, Anfield, Old Trafford, and Stamford Bridge in eleven years. Since we're not going to be bossing the league next year, I would like a manager who can react to weaknesses and correct them.

That wasn't my point though. Martinez has done nothing tactically to sort out his piss-poor defence all season, and it's proving to be the death of them. Since we're not going to be bossing the league next year, I would like a manager who can react to weaknesses and correct them.

Martinez is probably the manager next to Moyes who's done the best at improving in the second half of the season to rescue a seemingly failed season, tbf.

But the original point I replied to, not by you, was that we're a club whos strengths are the defence and the workrate when behind and martinez is a manager whos team don't have either. And I think that's largely unfair on this year's team, whos strengths have been largely carving out good opportunities through excellent wing play, winning aerial balls and working the ball in the oppositions half without losing it cheaply.

We hoof it a bit and we tend to get defensive and try close out games. But this wouldn't be stoke hiring guardiola,. this would be a team perfectly capable of pass and move football and wing play hiring a manager who likes pass and move football and wing play.

I'm giving our new boss until march before I declare him useless and want him gone. Swearing that right now.

Even if it's howard wilkinson or someone.

Man city have conceded the least goals with 31
Then arsenal with 37
Then Man U, Chelsea and everton all on 38.

So that makes us joint 3 best defence in the leauge which would suggest it not only hasn't been dire but it's been very good in fact it's our attacking which has Been dire. A point further proved buy the two teams a live us and on par with us being higher up the table then us.

Like I said spine of our team is resilience and defence.

Agog that people think a man who has done worse than Paul Jewell and Steve Bruce is worthy of the Everton job.

A consistently **** Wigan whose football is hardly Real Madrid esque.

Dreadful stuff.

Agog that people think a man who has done worse than Paul Jewell and Steve Bruce is worthy of the Everton job.

A consistently **** Wigan whose football is hardly Real Madrid esque.

Dreadful stuff.

Three months until Martinez leads us out at Goodison for the first time.

Can't wait :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back