Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Moyes Potential Replacement

Who do you want? - being realistic

• Roberto Martinez

Votes: 221 13.8%
  • Vitor Pereira

Votes: 594 37.2%
  • Neil Lennon

Votes: 40 2.5%
  • Di Matteo

Votes: 58 3.6%
  • Slaven Bilic

Votes: 73 4.6%
  • Michael Laudrup

Votes: 410 25.7%
  • Malky Mackay

Votes: 33 2.1%
  • From within the club

Votes: 60 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 108 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
For anyone referring back to the 80's and early 90's for Everton and comparing now to those days, that's a futile exercise. Football has changed immensely over that time (money, exposure) and in a nutshell, it's comparing apples to oranges.

It would be like Nottingham Forest supporters complaining today because they aren't regularly challenging for a Champions League trophy.

Martinez' record at Wigan:

09-10: Finished 16th on 36 points, -42 GD

10-11: Finished 16th on 42 points, -21 GD

11-12: Finished 15th on 43 points, -20 GD

12-13: Relegated on 35 points, -26 GD

Oh yes. I'll take loads of that hot mess. Chirp as you need on players being sold etc...but no denying that Wigan doesn't score many goals and they love giving them up, in bunches. Just what Ebepton needs.

Oh yes. I'll take loads of that hot mess. Chirp as you need on players being sold etc...but no denying that Wigan doesn't score many goals and they love giving them up, in bunches. Just what Ebepton needs.

It really is an absolutely pathetic record. How can anyone countenance this?

-42 goal difference, dear god

I know it's only Wigan but I'd back Moyes to do better than that. He would be a step down for us but I do get the feeling it will be him.

I know it's only Wigan but I'd back Moyes to do better than that. He would be a step down for us but I do get the feeling it will be him.

Moyes would do better with Wigan however I think Martinez would get more from this Everton team than Moyes has.

We're gambling on potential in the same way United are. Moyes has done nothing in the game to say he can make United winners week in week out. He's shown he can steady a ship and make them hard to beat but win things? That's still to be proved but he'll have to step up now that the expectations are higher.

Martinez has found it difficult to grind out wins each week however he has shown he's got the ability to put out a team capable of playing attacking football and going anywhere and giving it a go. For me that's what we need to get in amongst the top 4,

We do not want another, *****er version of Moyes, we've needed a change from Moyes for 2 years now.

Moyes would do better with Wigan however I think Martinez would get more from this Everton team than Moyes has.

We're gambling on potential in the same way United are. Moyes has done nothing in the game to say he can make United winners week in week out. He's shown he can steady a ship and make them hard to beat but win things? That's still to be proved but he'll have to step up now that the expectations are higher.

Martinez has found it difficult to grind out wins each week however he has shown he's got the ability to put out a team capable of playing attacking football and going anywhere and giving it a go. For me that's what we need to get in amongst the top 4,

We do not want another, *****er version of Moyes, we've needed a change from Moyes for 2 years now.

For me, grinding out results is what gets your higher division finishes - going and "having a go" is what Wigan and Blackpool have done.... And got relegated.

I honestly can't see what the Martinez hype is all about. Just look at their league finishes under him and the bare stats. Would be an off the scale dismal appointment

Good argument mate I have at times admired the way Wigan play but mostly they have been poor. I think a team with limited resources has to be able to mix it up in the prem. Id love to watch silky footie every week but not at the expense of winning. Martinez has had one successful spell in league football and that was in the championship. Not for me sorry.

For me, grinding out results is what gets your higher division finishes - going and "having a go" is what Wigan and Blackpool have done.... And got relegated.

I honestly can't see what the Martinez hype is all about. Just look at their league finishes under him and the bare stats. Would be an off the scale dismal appointment

Having a go with Wigan and Blackpools squads get you relegated although not all the time as Wigan have well overstayed there welcome.

Having a go with Everton's squad can lead to winning things or getting top 4 finishes and progressing. Grinding out results will only take you so far. Our finishes have been pretty consistent for 8 or 9 years now, if anything they are getting slightly worst.

We need to make the next step and Moyes wasn't the man to do it here. We never would of won anything under Moyes, he has always been too negative and bottled the big games. He's played down expectations here and we've all started to accept it. He'll show a totally different attitude at United cause he has to but he would never of done so here with finances as they are.

Martinez always speaks positive and with our squad I think he'll really expect to do something and won't mind telling us so, he'll give us belief again that things can be won and he's shown he can back it up as well.

I'm not saying Martinez is the right replacement but he looks the best of the options currently.

Last edited:
Having a go with Wigan and Blackpools squads get you relegated although not all the time as Wigan have well overstayed there welcome.

Having a go with Everton's squad can lead to winning things or getting top 4 finishes and progressing. Grinding out results will only take you so far. Our finishes have been pretty consistent for 8 or 9 years now, if anything they are getting slightly worst.

We need to make the next step and Moyes wasn't the man to do it here. We never would of won anything under Moyes, he has always been too negative and bottled the big games. He's played down expectations here and we've all started to accept it. He'll show a totally different attitude at United cause he has to but he would never of done so here with finances as they are.

Martinez always speaks positive and with our squad I think he'll really expect to do something and won't mind telling us so, he'll give us belief again that things can be won and he's shown he can back it up as well.

I'm not saying Martinez is the right replacement but he looks the best of the options currently.

12 wins from 19 - our best home record in eleven years

If we beat Chelsea, it will be our most points in a PL season.

We have won (even without draws) more points this season at home than Wigan have managed home and away and with wins and draws.

We weren't going backwards at all. It's a nonsense to even suggest it.

There is absolutely no way Martinez will beat Moyes' total this season if ever he gets the job.

There are plenty of clubs all over the world who work on a budget of Wigan but don't register a -42 goal difference. 35 points from 37 games. A less than 25% win rate. He goes on about defensive injuries - were they every year for the four seasons he had in the PL? They had defensive problems, why spend £6.5m on Boselli? lescott, jagielka, distin - all bought for cheaper. Fulham found hangelaand, there were plenty of deals available.

I cannot understand they hype surroundingMartinez. 150 premier league games and he has performed worse than Jewell and Bruce and taken his team down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back