Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Moyes Potential Replacement

Who do you want? - being realistic

• Roberto Martinez

Votes: 221 13.8%
  • Vitor Pereira

Votes: 594 37.2%
  • Neil Lennon

Votes: 40 2.5%
  • Di Matteo

Votes: 58 3.6%
  • Slaven Bilic

Votes: 73 4.6%
  • Michael Laudrup

Votes: 410 25.7%
  • Malky Mackay

Votes: 33 2.1%
  • From within the club

Votes: 60 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 108 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
2004-05 squad:

1 England GK Richard Wright
2 England DF Steve Watson
3 Italy DF Alessandro Pistone
4 England DF Alan Stubbs
5 Scotland DF David Weir (captain)
6 Spain MF Mikel Arteta (on loan from Real Sociedad)
7 England FW Marcus Bent
8 England FW James Beattie
10 Scotland FW Duncan Ferguson
11 Scotland FW James McFadden
14 Republic of Ireland MF Kevin Kilbane
15 Scotland DF Gary Naysmith
17 Australia MF Tim Cahill
20 Nigeria DF Joseph Yobo
21 England MF Leon Osman
22 England DF Tony Hibbert
23 Australia DF Eddy Bosnar
24 France MF Guillaume Plessis
25 England GK Nigel Martyn
26 Republic of Ireland MF Lee Carsley[2]
31 England FW James Vaughan

Far better than anything Martinez has had to work with.

LOLZ.

Realistic?

Are we paying Moyes level of wages still? If so, there are plenty. Starting with Pereira.
I'd even put Eddie Howe on a short list above Martinez

This is the problem with the whole debate mate isn't it it's incredibly subjective . Eddie Howe to the premier league would be clearly a huge risk , his brief career at Burnley wasn't exactly stellar and people talk about risk that would , as I'm sure you know be just off the chart risky . If you consider Eddie Howe a genuine and realistic target for everton then I'd imagine your short list is very lengthy . I think he looks and 'ok' manager but I'm not sure I'd touch him personally for a premier league team .

I don't know as much as many other posters seem to about pereira and he certainly has some ticks in the positive column but again there are plenty of managers who've come to the premier league from overseas and struggled badly. It is a different league over here and I think that's what worries managers , Portugal also isn't the most competitive in Europe is it ?

I think the job of appointing a manager is a far from easy one though and given the risks involved I hope that those involved are thinking long and hard about it .

2004-05 squad:

1 England GK Richard Wright
2 England DF Steve Watson
3 Italy DF Alessandro Pistone
4 England DF Alan Stubbs
5 Scotland DF David Weir (captain)
6 Spain MF Mikel Arteta (on loan from Real Sociedad)
7 England FW Marcus Bent
8 England FW James Beattie
10 Scotland FW Duncan Ferguson
11 Scotland FW James McFadden
14 Republic of Ireland MF Kevin Kilbane
15 Scotland DF Gary Naysmith
17 Australia MF Tim Cahill
20 Nigeria DF Joseph Yobo
21 England MF Leon Osman
22 England DF Tony Hibbert
23 Australia DF Eddy Bosnar
24 France MF Guillaume Plessis
25 England GK Nigel Martyn
26 Republic of Ireland MF Lee Carsley[2]
31 England FW James Vaughan

Far better than anything Martinez has had to work with.

Really? According to some sages on here, Mcmanan, Mcarthy, Maloney would all get into that squad.

He's had Valencia, Moses, rodellega, kone, nzogbia - all better than many many members of that squad you just linked.

Someone has said "ah but moyes once finished on 37 points". Yes he did- once. Martinez has actually managed to consistently do poorly with the bizarre excuse that his teams play football the "right way"... Which apparently means scoring less goals than you concede, not winning matches and winning four home games all season.

According to eplindex.com :

everton-possession.jpg

edit: OH GOD IT'S HUGE

Howard sweeper/goalkepper?!

We don't tend to play rush goalies anymore.

Really? According to some sages on here, Mcmanan, Mcarthy, Maloney would all get into that squad.

He's had Valencia, Moses, rodellega, kone, nzogbia - all better than many many members of that squad you just linked.

Someone has said "ah but moyes once finished on 37 points". Yes he did- once. Martinez has actually managed to consistently do poorly with the bizarre excuse that his teams play football the "right way"... Which apparently means scoring less goals than you concede, not winning matches and winning four home games all season.

Valencia is the only player who'd make that team, the others you've named are terrible, Christ, Rodellega? He has a Marcus Bent season and now gets splinters in his arse at Fulham!

Also, never had those players at the same time, so I'm not sure how well you're doing comparing squads here.

Valencia is the only player who'd make that team, the others you've named are terrible, Christ, Rodellega? He has a Marcus Bent season and now gets splinters in his arse at Fulham!

Also, never had those players at the same time, so I'm not sure how well you're doing comparing squads here.

Why not compare the Swansea squad that came up last season with the Wigan squad? As in, pre-Laudrup. Not many special players in there either but much, much better than the crap Martinez has produced.

Interesting you say he hasn't had them all at the same time, which is a rubbish argument anyway - but wouldn't that suggest he did a poor job of replacing them then? Or, he couldn't use his tactical "nous" to cover for his squad deficiencies?

And are you telling me nzogbia, at his Wigan peak wasn't more talented than Kilbane? Or Moses a more gifted player than Bent? (Hint- one of them might be playing in the EL final tonight, the other has the distinction of rutting Danielle Lloyd before the rush)

Not doing a good job of selling us Martinez

How would three at the back go down in the dressing room? Very badly imo.

Plus it would be a massive disruption to a team only one quality striker away from competing at the top.

Steve Clarke, Gus Poyet or Sam Allardyce before Martinez for me.

Why not compare the Swansea squad that came up last season with the Wigan squad? As in, pre-Laudrup. Not many special players in there either but much, much better than the crap Martinez has produced.

Interesting you say he hasn't had them all at the same time, which is a rubbish argument anyway - but wouldn't that suggest he did a poor job of replacing them then? Or, he couldn't use his tactical "nous" to cover for his squad deficiencies?

And are you telling me nzogbia, at his Wigan peak wasn't more talented than Kilbane? Or Moses a more gifted player than Bent? (Hint- one of them might be playing in the EL final tonight, the other has the distinction of rutting Danielle Lloyd before the rush)

Half of that Swansea squad that came up was put together by Martinez.

Martinez has had time to at least you would think build a defense capable of defending. Is he that stubborn or naive to believe his 3 at the back works when no one else really plays it? And that the massive amount of goals conceded could be down to his own tactics?

I seriously don't think Wigan would be going down to the championship if moyes had been in charge there the last 4 yrs. granted they prob wouldn't of won the cup like.....

Didn't want Martinez, then warmed to the idea but gota say I've definately gone off the idea again. Think he needs a move somewhere else first, maybe a Fulham or simlar before he takes on a top 6 side. Too much of a gamble for me I think.

The Porto guy is also a massive gamble tho. It's alot harder in the PL to buy promising players from unknown places and turn them into top players. The compitition is too tough to allow for that time. He would also want to change all the coaching staff and ways of Everton which I don't think is the right route.

Tbf the short list is looking quite unsinspiring IMO.

Tell me where I want Martinez to manage us again please, I must have missed where I said that part :blink:

Picking out one of two good players to counter an entire team isn't going to work when the rest of the squad is terrible. I think Martinez has done okay with what he has, which is not a great deal at all.

Honestly the club would be better to sell up now and hand over the club to new owners who can bring wedge and can take the heat on the new manager selection process.

The biggest problem now is we have a fractured fan base and lame duck owner who can,t move the fin needle for the club.

I saw O'Keeffe tweeting last night that we should get behind the board with who ever they select pffttttttt. I say the board are not fit for purpose and will shoe horn in the wrong guy and then we have deal with the mess.

I,d rather we sell the club now and then see if we can attract a top manager.

How would three at the back go down in the dressing room? Very badly imo.

Plus it would be a massive disruption to a team only one quality striker away from competing at the top.

Steve Clarke, Gus Poyet or Sam Allardyce before Martinez for me.

If big Sam came to us, put an L into your username after B, and that drink will be my weapon of choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back