Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Moyes Potential Replacement

Who do you want? - being realistic

• Roberto Martinez

Votes: 221 13.8%
  • Vitor Pereira

Votes: 594 37.2%
  • Neil Lennon

Votes: 40 2.5%
  • Di Matteo

Votes: 58 3.6%
  • Slaven Bilic

Votes: 73 4.6%
  • Michael Laudrup

Votes: 410 25.7%
  • Malky Mackay

Votes: 33 2.1%
  • From within the club

Votes: 60 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 108 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
How long does your serious shortlist need to be?

My point is that if was a two man shortlist or a list as long as a kopite woman's beard Roberto Martinez should be absolutely nowhere near it.

Lets say I had a five man shortlist.

pereira at number one easily.
Thomas tuchel
Eddie Howe
David weir

I'd even have Benitez on there ahead of Martinez. Took the sixth best defence in the league, destroyed it in a single summer, took Wigan down after five dismal seasons.

Their football isn't even that good either.

You'd take David Weir before Martinez?

Some boss marker pens you've got der lar.

I don't understand why people think we'll be finishing bottom half of the table next season. Look at the teams below us. Besides Liverpool there's West Brom, Swansea, Stoke and West Ham. I can't see any of them or even the teams below them getting above us next season.

Early next season prediction no matter what happens this summer: 7th.

Our wage budget is 10/11th in the league, we could easily slip down to mid table with a poor appointment.

My point is that if was a two man shortlist or a list as long as a kopite woman's beard Roberto Martinez should be absolutely nowhere near it.

Thomas tuchel
Eddie Howe
David weir

I'd even have Benitez on there ahead of Martinez. Took the sixth best defence in the league, destroyed it in a single summer, took Wigan down after five dismal seasons.

How on earth can you downgrade a man like Martinez and seriously contemplate throwing into a PL management post someone who puts the cones out at Finch Farm?

Incredible.

Recent overseas appointments in the PL:

pochettino
Benitez at Liverpool
AVB at Chelsea
mourinho at Chelsea

Trying to think further back.

The Weir shout was because if we make an internal appointment, I think it is likely to be him, or, of all our potential internal candidates I'd want him above the others - that's fair enough isn't it?

For me, Martinez shouldn't be getting anywhere near this job

I don't understand why people think we'll be finishing bottom half of the table next season. Look at the teams below us. Besides Liverpool there's West Brom, Swansea, Stoke and West Ham. I can't see any of them or even the teams below them getting above us next season.

Early next season prediction no matter what happens this summer: 7th.
People are overreacting with those comments. IMO Moyes got the maximum out of our squad when you look at the team's above us. Realistically I don't think you can expect to go any higher and you could argue, that Liverpool have at least a squad on par with ours so we've maybe done a little better than expected. Those that say we should be in the top 4 are clearly biased and blinkered in those views.

But IMO I don't think Martinez has got the maximum out of his Wigan squad so I'm not convinced he would get the maximum out of ours. With him in charge, I would predict mid table.

Or of course, we could gamble on a man who is very likely to win the Portuguese title, a league so weak that, er, they have a team in the EL final, have a team that won the the CL less than a decade ago (more recent than Dutch, French leagues) and from a club where two of its most recent coaches have gone on to decent success.

It's mad that people would rather appoint Martinez than properly explore the pereira option.

Didn't Juande Ramos win the uefa (or Europa ) with Seville before he arrived at Spurs where he was pretty abject wasnt he ? (Although I think he won the Carling Cup but I know many on here don't rate that and spurs were in the bottom three when he went I think ) .

I think in your own earlier post you mentioned mcClaren's boro getting to the Europa final as an argument against Martinez but you use benfica getting there as something positive for the manager of their rivals . It wasn't so long ago rangers were in the Europa final but I wouldn't use that as a plus point for signing Lennon or even the manager that took them their and We've had Ukrainian and Russians teams there whilst your champions league final comment Porto did win it beating a French side so I presume that could mean French managers are therefore worth having ?

I think to dismiss Martinez over the issues some have raised is fair enough but to then to apparently think that a manager from Portugal with no premier league experience doesn't present any risk seems a conflicted argument

All I'm saying is, I think there is a lot to be said for appointing managers with success from abroad despite having no EPL experience.

To be honest, if you don't look at the style aspect of the football, Mcleish won a trophy then got relegated a la Martinez. He then got the Villa job and was dismal at that one, too.

For me, we acheived 6th with the best manager in the Prem. So if we want to improve we now need a manager from outside the Prem.

(Best manager? Well Alex Ferguson agrees he is the best manager anyway).

David Weir?

Thomas tuchel
Eddie Howe
David weir

David Weir?
Now that would be a disaster:o

Recent overseas appointments in the PL:

pochettino
Benitez at Liverpool
AVB at Chelsea
mourinho at Chelsea

Trying to think further back.

The Weir shout was because if we make an internal appointment, I think it is likely to be him, or, of all our potential internal candidates I'd want him above the others - that's fair enough isn't it?

For me, Martinez shouldn't be getting anywhere near this job

Although hes done ok it seems a bit early to champion pocket think mate isn't it ?

Scolari at Chelsea
Martin Jol at spurs and fulham
AVB at Chelsea
Juande Ramos & Jacques santini at spurs (further back Christian gross)
Further back again jean tigana
Alain Perrin Pompey 2005
Zajec Pompey 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back