Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Moyes Potential Replacement

Who do you want? - being realistic

• Roberto Martinez

Votes: 221 13.8%
  • Vitor Pereira

Votes: 594 37.2%
  • Neil Lennon

Votes: 40 2.5%
  • Di Matteo

Votes: 58 3.6%
  • Slaven Bilic

Votes: 73 4.6%
  • Michael Laudrup

Votes: 410 25.7%
  • Malky Mackay

Votes: 33 2.1%
  • From within the club

Votes: 60 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 108 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't Juande Ramos win the uefa (or Europa ) with Seville before he arrived at Spurs where he was pretty abject wasnt he ? (Although I think he won the Carling Cup but I know many on here don't rate that and spurs were in the bottom three when he went I think ) .

I think in your own earlier post you mentioned mcClaren's boro getting to the Europa final as an argument against Martinez but you use benfica getting there as something positive for the manager of their rivals . It wasn't so long ago rangers were in the Europa final but I wouldn't use that as a plus point for signing Lennon or even the manager that took them their and We've had Ukrainian and Russians teams there whilst your champions league final comment Porto did win it beating a French side so I presume that could mean French managers are therefore worth having ?

I think to dismiss Martinez over the issues some have raised is fair enough but to then to apparently think that a manager from Portugal with no premier league experience doesn't present any risk seems a conflicted argument

You have misinterpreted what I was saying re. mclaren. It's not that getting to the EL final is worthless, not at all. What I am saying is that there were other managers who had success at a time when moyes won nothing with Everton, but I wouldn't want them filling the vacancy now.

Look at it this way. What tangibly recommends Martinez for this job? If it is " he isn't as bad as everyone else like Lennon " then woe betide us going forward next season.

If ever there was a time to take a risk and be ambitious, now is it. If Martinez had one bad season and got relegated I d buy the "lots of good managers have been relegated" shout, but he was systematically garbage for five seasons

Although hes done ok it seems a bit early to champion pocket think mate isn't it ?

Scolari at Chelsea
Martin Jol at spurs and fulham
AVB at Chelsea
Juande Ramos & Jacques santini at spurs (further back Christian gross)
Further back again jean tigana

Tigana? To be fair that Fulham side was ok.

Martinez has for five seasons produced absolute ****e at Wigan. It would be a dreadful appointment

Recent managerial relegations include stellar names like Adkins, Redknapp, Warnock, Coyle, Kean. I wouldn't want any of those at Everton, and I wouldn't want Martinez with his dismal record either

Last edited:
Martinez is only 39 as well, thought he was older with experience from this league, also can work with a budget (he kept wigan in the league, yes not this year but he not a miracle man) his net spend is -14 million, what other team can beat -14 million. He a fan of attacking football, he loyal, he comes across as a class guy, he turned down the rs. He won a F.A cup which I want so much. He lives in the North West. He wouldn't be the worse choice for us.

You have misinterpreted what I was saying re. mclaren. It's not that getting to the EL final is worthless, not at all. What I am saying is that there were other managers who had success at a time when moyes won nothing with Everton, but I wouldn't want them filling the vacancy now.

Look at it this way. What tangibly recommends Martinez for this job? If it is " he isn't as bad as everyone else like Lennon " then woe betide us going forward next season.

If ever there was a time to take a risk and be ambitious, now is it. If Martinez had one bad season and got relegated I d buy the "lots of good managers have been relegated" shout, but he was systematically garbage for five seasons

Again like I've said mate I don't massively disagree with you but it's tough to pick someone , this time last year I'd have been happy with lambert probably Rodgers then Martinez so I'm no fanboy of the bloke but I look at those out there and there aren't many pulling up tress are there ?

I just happen to think a manager from overseas presents exactly the same risk a manager like Martinez does , in different areas but a risk all the same .

This is where you're going fundamentally wrong, mate...and you're not alone either. The appointment wont be about 'going forward'. Forget what Kenwright said. Its about keeping the plates spinning and retaining PL status and keeping protests off the owner's backs. They're looking for stability not someone who can - against all the odds those clowns stack against a manager - push on to the next level.

It's not about liking to attack more and consequently conceding a few more. With martinez it seems a complete inability to not concede bucket loads or have any knowledge how to set up a back 4 or defensive unit.

Due to the inexperience of Phil Neville and Duncan Ferguson (who I would love) it probably won't be them. I actually think that appointing from within would be the right way to go but I understand the reasons for not doing so.

If it's an 'outsider' I'd plump for Martinez. I don't think Laudrup would stick around - he wants a European job.

This is where you're going fundamentally wrong, mate...and you're not alone either. The appointment wont be about 'going forward'. Forget what Kenwright said. Its about keeping the plates spinning and retaining PL status and keeping protests off the owner's backs. They're looking for stability not someone who can - against all the odds those clowns stack against a manager - push on to the next level.

I don't disagree with you whatsoever.

If we want to move on, get serious and really go for it - we want a Pereira type appointment

If we want another boss who sucks up to the chairman but can't deliver Moyes-type league finishes- it's Martinez

Actually, although you were probably being sarcastic...I think Moyes will go down as a 21st century Wilf McGuinnes or Frank O'Farrell in Manchester

That defensive record is a worry certainly but I've no idea of what mitigation Martinez may have or whether is reasonable although I'm aware he was moaning about injuries.

The crux for me is moyes has gone and we need to appoint a replacement , stand out managers a few and far between so the shortlist will almost certainly be made up of managers below us in the league. As a result the various records will be poorer than ours and if they weren't they'd be getting the job out manager has I'd think. I Do accept and even agree with the concerns over Martinez and I was wasn't terrified when he was the RS No 1 target so I'm clearly not going to be his top supporter now.

Appointing managers with no premier league experience is seriously risky and for appointing overseas managers falls into the same criteria . We have to judge don't we whether the risk is worth it and what the pro's and cons are. We are at a crossroads and I hope the board are having just such debates with voices supporting various managers as I think it needs to be debated because it's a massive decision .

Who would your shortlist be mate ?
To be honest I don't really know but I do like the sound of Malky Makay. He too is a young manager with potential and of course would be a gamble because he's never managed in the top flight. But he's got a team promoted and got a championship team to a cup final narrowly losing to a strong Liverpool on penalties.

he sounds a bit like your typical Scot hard task master and seems to be able to organise a defence. I'd sooner take a gamble on him than hire someone who time and again has already proved he can't stop his teams from hemorrhaging goals.

We've all got our opinions on who we would like Sheeds and we're never all going to agree.

I just hope if it does end up being Martinez that all those on here that are championing his signing are proved absolutely correct and I am proved totally wrong.

Even just for the sake of my cats rear end!

Last edited:
I have no idea who I want to manage our great club any more. We can ( and have) picked out negatives on all the people who are being mentioned with the role and I just hope that when the appointment is made as long as its not someone everyone is completely against like Mcliesh, Hughes etc its someone we can embrace.

For the board I think there is a big decision to make first:

1) Do we want to continue with what Moyes has created which is a good steady team that should be finishing top 8 and might have a good cup run? If so an internal appointment of some nature ( this could be as a No2 or the top job)

or

2) We need to try something different, take what Moyes has created and advance to the next level and push on into top 4, a more continental game maybe holding on to the ball more and less cautious approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back