Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Moyes Potential Replacement

Who do you want? - being realistic

• Roberto Martinez

Votes: 221 13.8%
  • Vitor Pereira

Votes: 594 37.2%
  • Neil Lennon

Votes: 40 2.5%
  • Di Matteo

Votes: 58 3.6%
  • Slaven Bilic

Votes: 73 4.6%
  • Michael Laudrup

Votes: 410 25.7%
  • Malky Mackay

Votes: 33 2.1%
  • From within the club

Votes: 60 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 108 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont know if Martinez was ever offered the job but I can guarantee Rodgers had signed the contract over a week before it was officially announced and Martinez was still being talked up for the position in the papers etc. My one and only ITK

'We must educate people,' Martinez told the Daily Mirror. 'In five or six years, we [Wigan] reap the benefits. Maybe I won’t be there then.

'But this is not why I stayed, when Liverpool made me an offer.'

He added: 'I stayed because my chairman is unique.

Meanwhile :

However, Martinez's claims are contrary to those of Liverpool co-owner Tom Werner.

The American, talking to the BBC last week, claimed that while a number of people were spoken to about the position vacated by Dalglish, Rodgers was the only one to receive an offer.

Werner said: 'We engaged with a number of very experienced football people whose names have never been mentioned. We ended up focussing only on Brendan Rodgers. We never made an offer to any other manager.

I guess it depends on who you want to trust, the serial liars deluded kopites or somebody like Martinez who always comes aross as an honest decent chap.

Signed a new deal with West Ham last week.

Also, that would be terrible.

I believe so. He wouldn't have been my first choice either, but chances are whoever comes in isn't going to improve on where Moyes has got us in the league, and worse things could happen than maintaining our 'outperforming the money' position under Allardyce.

Reckon we could do a lot worse than Steve Clarke too. He's improved on West Brom's 10th finish last season with one of the lowest wage bills in the league.

I dont know if Martinez was ever offered the job but I can guarantee Rodgers had signed the contract over a week before it was officially announced and Martinez was still being talked up for the position in the papers etc. My one and only ITK

I'm absolutely convinced that he was offered the job , in fact to go further I think he pushed the dalglish sacking on because he was approached by villa and he contacted the RS to ask what they wanted and if they were actually interested . There were loads of issues involving the director of football and whether he bottled it or not but he was certainly the top target , not that I'm bitter but I lost a fortune on it .

He can't actually believe what he says. If he seriously thinks it's just a matter of time before the likes of Barcelona come calling for Martinez then he has to be one of the most deluded men in the country.

He should have a read of this thread.

Does he honestly think a guy who can't stop a team conceding shed loads of goals and from relegation is the man europe's top teams are after!

He should have a read of this thread.

Does he honestly think a guy who can't stop a team conceding shed loads of goals and from relegation is the man europe's top teams are after!

Don't think so.... He is just trying to do everything he can to keep Martinez there..... Desperate and sad really...

I thought the papers had photos of him over in the USA at their offices? Also Whelan came out and said he was talking to them and they wanted him but he didnt want to work under a Director of Football. The rs are obviously going to spin it to make it sound like they got their first choice.

I guess it depends on who you want to trust, the serial liars deluded kopites or somebody like Martinez who always comes aross as an honest decent chap.

Would you believe Dave Whelan? He had a meeting on Thursday with the owner of Liverpool in Miami," Whelan told BBC Sport. "I think they have made some kind of offer.

*think* *some-kind-of* - clearly he was not sure about what sort of offer had been made, and he and Martinez are apparently close. The word offer doesn't mean it was outright said we want you as manager. I think it's a case of small-time chairman/manager trying to 'big' themselves up in the media just because Liverpool wanted some sort of talks.

read on tv text fulham are sniffing around Poyet if Jol leaves,well that's never right is it ???,still surprised with what folks would prefer.recent pages on Benitez (lordy lord!) beggar belief.Martinez,winner of 9 league matches all season,I don't know much about pereira tbh,but would be concerned his lack of experience in the English game.Martin Jol is being thought of now,so it seems.Not exactly tearing up trees are they Fulham,actually piss poor the last couple of months.Is Poyet only issue that he defended Suarez....ffs if folks are talking Benitez up then you'd think Poyet might get a bit of sympathy for defending his countryman i'd have thought.

I'm absolutely convinced that he was offered the job , in fact to go further I think he pushed the dalglish sacking on because he was approached by villa and he contacted the RS to ask what they wanted and if they were actually interested . There were loads of issues involving the director of football and whether he bottled it or not but he was certainly the top target , not that I'm bitter but I lost a fortune on it .

He could well have been mate, I dont know. But a week before I'd heard news from a family member of Rodgers he had already signed and it was a done deal. Friend of mine made a fortune on it, about £1500 profit roughly. Got paid out just before we went to Poland for the Euros I remember. Unfortunately I wasnt game enough to lay my poland savings on it. He was backing him everywhere anywhere between Evens and 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back