Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Moyes Potential Replacement

Who do you want? - being realistic

• Roberto Martinez

Votes: 221 13.8%
  • Vitor Pereira

Votes: 594 37.2%
  • Neil Lennon

Votes: 40 2.5%
  • Di Matteo

Votes: 58 3.6%
  • Slaven Bilic

Votes: 73 4.6%
  • Michael Laudrup

Votes: 410 25.7%
  • Malky Mackay

Votes: 33 2.1%
  • From within the club

Votes: 60 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 108 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Like everything in football things are fluid and change but I'm absolutely convinced he was their number one target

I can agree he may have been made some sort of offer at some point but he was clearly not their number one target, Rodgers was, all along, but rejected their advances the first time leading them to sound out Martinez.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/7789914/Rodgers-I-was-No.1-target

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/7790510/Gerrard-was-in-loop-over-boss

He tends to do the rodgers thing of having his team beaten 4-0 and then going into the interview and going on about how well they played and how he's optimistic.

Oh really.

I hate that kind of Manager, I used to love when Moyes told it how it was, his eyes bulging, steam coming out of his ears, thats why I think people got annoyed with his knife to a gun fight talks, football fans dont wanna hear the truth, they prefer to be lied to.

So anyway, koff Martinez, Vitor IN!

I can agree he may have been made some sort of offer at some point but he was clearly not their number one target, Rodgers was, all along, but rejected their advances the first time leading them to sound out Martinez.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/7789914/Rodgers-I-was-No.1-target

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/7790510/Gerrard-was-in-loop-over-boss

I'm not completely convinced on that mate , I think they tried to go down the speaking to loads of people type route and Rodgers didn't fancy being part of a beauty paegent . I'm also not sure you fly a bloke to America to hold meetings if your not particularly interested . The betting patterns are interesting because if you look at the Lennon bets he's either trying to make a few quid or the fact he might have a chance got passed along by Chinese whispers and loads of bets go on in northern Ireland . I didn't open the links but is one Gerard ? Because he's not going to say "yeah we wanted Martinez and Rodgers was a back up but what can you do ?" is he.

The reality is I think that we can argue about who was number one but at the very least we can say Martinez was pretty high on the shortlist can't we ?

I'm absolutely convinced that he was offered the job , in fact to go further I think he pushed the dalglish sacking on because he was approached by villa and he contacted the RS to ask what they wanted and if they were actually interested . There were loads of issues involving the director of football and whether he bottled it or not but he was certainly the top target , not that I'm bitter but I lost a fortune on it .

I imagine they wanted Martinez but they denied the stories afterwards to save face and because it would have diminished Rodgers' authority if it was known that he was their second choice.

Hopefully Roberto's loyalty stretches to feeling that he needs to get Wigan back into the Premier League before he can move on. I'm not convinced that he's capable of grinding out results on a regular enough basis to be a success with us.

About Martinez.

Does anyone have an idea about what kind of budget he´s had to work with compared to what Moyes had here?

My point is it would have to be quite a difference for it to even be worth considering him for this job. Moyes made us top 6 contenders with a small budget. If Martinez has had comparable spending power and not been able to even reach the top half he would probably be a disaster for this club.

About Martinez.

Does anyone have an idea about what kind of budget he´s had to work with compared to what Moyes had here?

My point is it would have to be quite a difference for it to even be worth considering him for this job. Moyes made us top 6 contenders with a small budget. If Martinez has had comparable spending power and not been able to even reach the top half he would probably be a disaster for this club.

You can't compare it anyway because Moyes at times (very rare) had £20m or so to spend on 2/3 signings, a cycle started with us selling Rooney. Martinez would probably be able to bring in decent players for low values too whereas Moyes was able to break our transfer record on a few occasions and brought in several players for £5m-15m. I doubt Martinez has ever had £10m to spend on a few players in one period, nevermind £15-25m.

About Martinez.

Yep, not only has he not improved the Clubs league postion, he has made it worse.

Prepare for his hordes of fans to stat you to death tho.

About Martinez.

I do know this actually. Let me drag it up.

From 2002 to 2012, which is 10 seasons, Moyes has spent 453.93 million pounds on bringing in and paying himself, his coaches and his players. That's wages (443.48 million pounds) and transfer fees (114 million pounds) minus the money he's made by selling players (103.6 million pounds). So in ten top flight seasons that's 45 million pounds per season spent on the first team.

As for Martinez, in his four years he spent 154.6 million on wages and made 11.65 million in the market (though he spent 32.1 million gross) so 142. 95 million in total or 35.8 million a season.

So Moyes has had an extra ten million a year.

Just for comparison, Wenger has spent 93 million a season. The gap in money between Moyes and the big boys is much bigger than between moyes and the relegation fight.

From 2002 to 2012, which is 10 seasons, Moyes has spent 453.93 million pounds on bringing in and paying himself, his coaches and his players. That's wages (443.48 million pounds) and transfer fees (114 million pounds) minus the money he's made by selling players (103.6 million pounds). So in ten top flight seasons that's 45 million pounds per season spent on the first team.

As for Martinez, in his four years he spent 154.6 million on wages and made 11.65 million in the market (though he spent 32.1 million gross) so 142. 95 million in total or 35.8 million a season.

Just for comparison, Wenger has spent 93 million a season. The gap in money between Moyes and the big boys is much bigger than between moyes and the relegation fight.

Moyes is exceptional at spotting talent in the market, there´s no question about that.

Apart from that I don´t know what to make of it. 10 mil seems too small a difference to motive employing a manager who´s had such a wretched run in the premier league over the last 5 years.

His teams can´t defend. That´s what´s relegated them. That´s what worries me.

I was commenting on wigan not everton though.

Someone had implied that wigan fans wouldn't be grateful to martinez for winning the cup next year when they wouldn't be in the prem any more.

And I find that kind of laugable, it's a very everton view, not at all the way wigan fans would see it.

OK I'll shut up :)

I like how you did that all from memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back