Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Moyes Potential Replacement

Who do you want? - being realistic

• Roberto Martinez

Votes: 221 13.8%
  • Vitor Pereira

Votes: 594 37.2%
  • Neil Lennon

Votes: 40 2.5%
  • Di Matteo

Votes: 58 3.6%
  • Slaven Bilic

Votes: 73 4.6%
  • Michael Laudrup

Votes: 410 25.7%
  • Malky Mackay

Votes: 33 2.1%
  • From within the club

Votes: 60 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 108 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone, im sick of that misserable bell end.

I can totally understand that point of view mate.

But who? Moyes has many many negatives, but who else could work with such constraints and be 7th or above?

I'm not saying I don't want Moyes out. I think I do. But it's a very risky game.

A lot of teh anti Lennon sentiment is coming from Scottish posters I see. he must be more reviled up there than down here

For me I fancy the idea of Lennon because I think he shows passion and clearly has a hell of a strong character putting up with all the death threats crap over the last few years. He's young but has a decent amount of experience to boot. If we're not going to promote the likes of Sheedy or Duncan then I want someone coming in and giving it a go. It would kill me if the likes of some second rate crap like Owen Coyle came in and talked about aiming for a top-ten finish.

I can totally understand that point of view mate.

But who? Moyes has many many negatives, but who else could work with such constraints and be 7th or above?

I'm not saying I don't want Moyes out. I think I do. But it's a very risky game.

Martinez, Steve Clarke, Poyet, Zola, Laudrup, Kendall.

Anyone.

Im sick of him, and the negative way we set up. Bored, un-inspiring, crap.

It's true that Moyes is incredibly frustrating at times, none more so than on these massive let downs but it's also fair to point out a degree of the improvement he has brought about. There are only 2 managers in our history with a better improvement ratio - the best being (not surprisingly) Joe Royle, following Mike Walker - by a country mile, and then Howard Kendall (after the mixed bag that was Gordon Lee). Harry Catterick is only marginally behind Moyes but enjoyed three major advantages - he inherited a decent team, had money to spend (which he did rather well with those signings) and he also brought titles and trophies (and style for that matter).

Improvement? I'm sorry, I'm lost.

He inherited a weak squad, down on its chin-straps. Clearly, we could have continued our downward tradjectory with him at the helm but he first stabilised us then saw us climb the league table with some better-than-respectable finishes.

However, during the 11 years he's been at the helm (without trawling the history books, how does that compare with other managerial stints?) we've NEVER won an away game at those in the top 4 spots in any given season; NEVER won an away derby; NEVER won a big game (includes the semi against Utd when yet again Moyes choked it against their stiffs but got out of jail via a penalty shoot-out after YET ANOTHER dire perforamnce); but during this same period we've endured some absolutely shocking results - some of which will rank amongst the worst/most embarressing in our club's long history. Shrewbury, Bucharest, "that" Derby defeat, "that" derby Semi, countless defeats to lower-division opposition in the cups.

And now we can add Wigan to that little list.

For me I fancy the idea of Lennon because I think he shows passion and clearly has a hell of a strong character putting up with all the death threats crap over the last few years. He's young but has a decent amount of experience to boot. If we're not going to promote the likes of Sheedy or Duncan then I want someone coming in and giving it a go. It would kill me if the likes of some second rate crap like Owen Coyle came in and talked about aiming for a top-ten finish.

I'd really struggle to get behind Lennon as manager , let's face it he's not exactly setting the world on fire (this years champions league aside ) , his personality makes him much more suited to the RS than us and moving from rangers and Celtic how many excel ?

I'd really struggle to get behind Lennon as manager , let's face it he's not exactly setting the world on fire (this years champions league aside ) , his personality makes him much more suited to the RS than us and moving from rangers and Celtic how many excel ?

Each to their own mate but I think his personality is just what we need to galvanise the club. He talks plain simple English to me - no arrogant crap like Rodgers etc. I stand to win a tidy amount if he's appointed so I might just drop out of this debate now as clearly I'm typing with my heart and my head!

Each to their own mate but I think his personality is just what we need to galvanise the club. He talks plain simple English to me - no arrogant crap like Rodgers etc. I stand to win a tidy amount if he's appointed so I might just drop out of this debate now as clearly I'm typing with my heart and my head!

Not having a pop mate it's all about opinions , for me he'd be on my nightmare replacement list

Surely we can rule out anyone needing their contract buying out?

One of the unemployed managers or an internal appointment I'm guessing.

Don't want any internal appointment if Moyes goes. One of Moyes' strengths is that he has taken a strong interest and had a big influence on every level at the club. If we appoint someone from inside the club the wheels keep on turning and the same ideas keep getting churned out.

I've been saying for years now that I think Moyes should have gone for a continental assistant manager to bring some different ideas to training and tactics. The likes of Round or Irvine are good enough but they aren't going to challenge Moyes' way of thinking. If all he wants is someone to pass his own thoughts on to the players then fair enough but I would have thought a more successful management team would be one who could bring different ideas to the table.

So with that in mind if we lose Moyes I want a continental manager. Not necessarily one of the ones who have been mentioned but if we are going for a young up and coming guy I would rather he was from Spain or Italy with some fresh, attacking ideas than from Glasgow with the same footballing philosophy that we've seen for the last 15 odd years.

I think he will instill in us an attitude to fight, which is what we're sorely lacking. Everton is a club where his prior leanings shouldn't provoke any issues (You know what I'm on about, It begins with sec and rhymes with vegitarianism)

Surely we can rule out anyone needing their contract buying out?

One of the unemployed managers or an internal appointment I'm guessing.

Kenwright has numerous faults but you yourself have said he's not stupid , he's going to have to play this really carefully or he really will get a backlash . Kenwright was prepared to pay moyes exceptionally well , 'relative success' aside maybe as much as anything to act as a protective buffer .

This is an appointment that'll have to be well thought out , a sentimental internal appointment could work but I think it'll be someone at least perceived as a decent appointment . Take Martinez manager of the team that knocked up out, FA cup finalists (maybe ) ,taking Wigan to Europe and a bloke who turned down the RS and came to us . That's the way I'd play it out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back