Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Moyes Potential Replacement

Who do you want? - being realistic

• Roberto Martinez

Votes: 221 13.8%
  • Vitor Pereira

Votes: 594 37.2%
  • Neil Lennon

Votes: 40 2.5%
  • Di Matteo

Votes: 58 3.6%
  • Slaven Bilic

Votes: 73 4.6%
  • Michael Laudrup

Votes: 410 25.7%
  • Malky Mackay

Votes: 33 2.1%
  • From within the club

Votes: 60 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 108 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? I was expecting it to go to some random Russian. Stupid decision to fire him now.

I posted in the world football thread when he was sacked mate that championship managers had already turned it down , somebody out of work or low profile is probably all they'll get. Don't get me wrong if they panic and are prepared to offer a fortune long tern then it could change but I'd doubt it . They're already all but relegated , the squads poor , you can't strengthen and they sacked McDermott after all he'd done you'd think you'd be lucky to last a year.

Fair points

I actually don't mind us being more defensive so long as we are picking up the 3 points. After some of the defensive displays I've seen this year, I could do with a season where we win every game 1-0 to be honest

I couldn't take this, if after all these years of negative defensive fooball we have the chance to change it but we bring in a manager with the same ideas, i would walk away.

Forgot he did that actually.

No one's mentioned Diego Simeone yet I think,

He might fancy his chances at the Prem with Everton over La Liga with Athletico :D

Not sure i'd swap Falcao for Jelavic mate.

Think I read Simeone had recently signed a new deal with Madrid i'm afraid.

While I do quite like the idea of a foriegn 'unknown' type coming and having a go, preferably German, my brain always switches quickly to Christian Gross.

I couldn't take this, if after all these years of negative defensive fooball we have the chance to change it but we bring in a manager with the same ideas, i would walk away.

Attacking football is fine provided you've got the defense to back it up. Barca have a solid defense on top of having lethal players like Messi up front. Same with the Spainish National team.

I'd love it if every game was an attack fest and we won them all 2-0 or 3-1, but that's not the case right now. More often than not it's ending 1-1, 2-2 or 3-3. I'd gladly trade those draws for 1-0 wins. Cna you imagine if we'd just won 3 or 4 of those games that we drew this season? We'd be pushing 2nd place right now.

If Moyes does decide to move on, we need a manager who is defensively aware, without question

Attacking football is fine provided you've got the defense to back it up. Barca have a solid defense on top of having lethal players like Messi up front. Same with the Spainish National team.

I'd love it if every game was an attack fest and we won them all 2-0 or 3-1, but that's not the case right now. More often than not it's ending 1-1, 2-2 or 3-3. I'd gladly trade those draws for 1-0 wins. Cna you imagine if we'd just won 3 or 4 of those games that we drew this season? We'd be pushing 2nd place right now.

If Moyes does decide to move on, we need a manager who is defensively aware, without question

As you say though it doesnt have to be one or the other, you can play attacking football and still keep a pretty tight defence, obviously it won't be at tight as having everyone behind the ball. the fans need to be entertained otherwise we may aswell stay at home and just watch the results. football is an entertainment after all.

Our team is pretty good a decent manager with tactical nous and a bit of transfer luck would be fine. But what worries me is our inept board I don't trust them to make a good appointment I mean really moyes was a lucky stroke by kenwong

Found this intetesting:

footyscene.com/everton-manager-should-we-look-outside-of-england/

Can't post the text as I'm on my phone so could someone do it for me?

Here's the article FTY was talking about:

With Moyes not deciding if he will commit to a contract or not till the end of the season, it looks more and more likely as the season goes on we will be losing our Scottish leader. Moyes has spent 11 years at the club and this season he has lead us to a great start we had all been hoping for in the last few seasons. We have also seen more impressive dealings from Moyes, one being the exciting Belgium Kevin Mirallas who has become an instant hit at the club.

The club have enjoyed a great season so far in terms of league position, however there has been a few doubts and questions throughout the season. Only 4 clean sheets this season has been an issue, along with the large amount of draws we have picked up, a total of 12 games drawn which is the most in the league along with Stoke and Norwich. Recently the team’s performances have raised a few alarm bells and most recently and the most disappointing was the shocking result on the weekend. Wigan were supposed to be the guests to Everton’s Wembley party but instead of coming along and watching us have a good time, they came along, drunk all the alcohol, wrecked the place and left us with a huge mess to clean up.

With Wigan dumping us out of the cup, it left fans feeling almost every negative emotion possible. Since the weekend many have been saying Moyes’ time is up and questioning whether his heart is still at the club. I for one still believe in Moyes especially when I look at the names being mentioned as his successor. Phil Neville? Steve Round? No thanks, Roberto Martinez is the favourite and so he should be he has done a great job at Wigan and although they struggle down at the bottom of the league, they do play some of the best football in the Premier League. My only worry with the Spaniard is he hasn’t had one brilliant season where Wigan have finished around mid-table, which makes me think he may not be able to do well at a club aiming for Europe. This brings me to my question, should Everton look outside of England for their next manager?

Out of all the managers that have been thrown into the mix as potential Everton managers, the two I would like to see us attempt to bring to Merseyside are Slaven Bilic and Ole Gunner Solskjaer. I personally think they won’t be a bad way to go, both are young managers that can both go on to do great things. Slaven Bilic knows what the club is all about being a former player and he has enjoyed a great spell in charge of Croatia. Leading his country through an impressive Euro 2008 qualifiers where Croatia topped the group which involved England and Russia. With his leadership Croatia managed to beat England both home and away. Croatia followed that impressive qualifying campaign by impressing once again in the Euro 2008 tournament. They won all three of their games, beating finalists Germany was arguably the biggest highlight for Croatia. After six years in charge of his country Bilic finally stepped down after the Euro 2012 championship where Croatia received plenty of praise for the way they performed despite going out in the group stages. Slaven Bilic has won 57.47% of the games he’s managed, drawing 21.84% and losing 20,69% of games.

Ole Gunner Solskjaer has been at Molde since 2010 and he has brought great success to Molde who have won the Norwegian premier league two years in a row. The first of those was Molde’s first league championship. It seems Solskjaer is linked with almost every Premier League job going due to his success and this summer the Norwegian was linked with the Aston Villa job but he decided to stay in Norway and continue his impressive work with Molde. Solskjaer has won 60% of games at Molde, drawn 18.10% and lost 21.90% of games.

There are a few managers outside of England that haven’t been mentioned as a possible replacement for Moyes. One of those is Mainz coach Thomas Tuchel who in my eyes could be a worthy successor. Like David Moyes, Tuchel has performed miracles at his club. The 39 year old Tuchel has been compared to Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp due the similarities in their manager styles and they both have managed to achieve great success at Mainz. Tuchel has been in charge of Mainz for 138 games winning 54 of them, drawing 36 and losing 47 times. So what would Tuchel bring? He is one of the best raising managers in Germany and probably his biggest success to date has been leading Mainz to a 5th place finish in the 2010/11 season. Tuchel has a lot of interest in sport science, he likes his players to work hard, play at a high tempo and also have discipline. The high tempo game Mainz play is very pleasing on the eye and has been very effective this season, Mainz currently sit in 7th place and they are very much in the fight for 4th place. Like Moyes, Tuchel has had to work on a tight budget and he has made the best of his resources. Two of his biggest player successes in my opinion has been Andre Schurrle who was brought up to the first team under Tuchel and turned out to be a fantastic decision, Schurrle has turned into a great talent and in the 2 seasons he spent in the Mainz first team he scored a total of 20 goals, 15 of those in his second season which caught the eye of Bayer Leverkusen. Another big success was bringing Lewis Holtby on loan from Schalke in the 2010/11 season where he managed to score 6 goals for the club. Both players played a vital part in the Mainz side that finished 5th and they are now two of the biggest talents Germany have to offer.

We are seeing more and more foreign managers in the English game and some clubs are reaping in the benefits. One of the latest foreign arrivals has been Michael Laudrup who has used his experience in Spain to bring in hidden gems from La Liga and he has also managed to take Swansea to the next level. Their great playing style has been improved and has seen them perform well in the league. In the short spell he has had at the club he has already lead Swansea to their first major cup success in the clubs history. Should Everton follow in Swansea’s footsteps?

Everton have never appointed a manager outside of the British Isles. If Moyes does decide to leave in the summer, could it be about time for the club to take a gamble and appoint a foreign manager? Martinez? Tuchel? Bilic? Solekjaer? Would you like to see one of these managers named as Everton’s first foreign manager?

Chris Holley

Follw me on Twitter @ChrisHolley_EFC

Just on solkjaer he is really highly rated, obviously he tired down villa and was Sunderlands back up when they went for oneill and has recently told another club he didn't want to be considered . Regardless of that though I'm far from convinced we'd go continental I really think we'd be looking at somebody 'safe' , up and coming maybe but safe namely with English experience , martinez fitting the bill .Obviously only the board really knows though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back