Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Moyes to Sunderland

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't saying moyes didn't do well with what he had, he just reached his ceiling though. He had tons of money at UTD and was a shambles. He's good at making a team hard to break down and scrapping points in midtable.

If this were true, then Stoke and West Brom would have a string of top 5 finishes to their name. It's a position that eluded both Pochettino and Koeman two excellent managers at Southampton. It's eluded Mark Hughes at a whole variety of clubs, Redknapp and Villas Boas hit it spending loads of money (and having Gareth Bale) as well. You do not finish top 5 more than once if you are just good at scrapping points in midtable.

What you're saying there is that Moyes had good strikers at the club...something he says himself he was short of "or I'd have won the title" (pffft!)....but fate intervened.

On your point about wondering what he could have done with Lukaku in his team: Lukaku got all his goals by being given a free role to play off the shoulder of defenders and not run about too much. He was catered to. Do you think Moyes would have done that to get a couple of seasons worth of 17/18 goals from Lukaku? Not a chance...and Lukaku would have never have agreed to sign for a manager like that.

Moyes got goals out of Yakubu and Jelavic two strikers who barely moved and fed off tap ins. The less talented ones he had running around more (why is this a bad thing? Is that not what every single manager now demands from their forward players?).

I'm saying he had one decent striker in Yakubu who then got injured. The rest were very limited despite Moyes' efforts to get the best of them.

Lukaku signed for us over West Brom because Everton were better than West Brom and he wanted to play every week. His loan spell under Clarke shows that the identity of the manager was not his deciding factor.

Moyes got goals out of Yakubu and Jelavic two strikers who barely moved and fed off tap ins. The less talented ones he had running around more (why is this a bad thing? Is that not what every single manager now demands from their forward players?).

I'm saying he had one decent striker in Yakubu who then got injured. The rest were very limited despite Moyes' efforts to get the best of them.

Lukaku signed for us over West Brom because Everton were better than West Brom and he wanted to play every week. His loan spell under Clarke shows that the identity of the manager was not his deciding factor.
The notion Moyes couldn't have a very decent striker beggars belief: he broke the club record fee a number of times. If he wanted one desperately he could have utilised what resources he had to get one...for a kick off by saving £10M on muck like Bilyaletdinov.

Besides that, he had a galaxy of stars at United and fell on his face.

It's utter nonsense for him or anyone else to say that he was a good striker away from clinching a title.

I always thought that if we were able to sign a good striker back in like 09-10 we would break into top 4 easily. Moyes built a very good team.

Saying we could have won the league is a little over the top though.

Moyes had plenty of good strikers during his time with us. At least they were good strikers when they joined us. After a season closing down defenders, chasing back, and feeding off scraps he ruined each and every one of them.

You have to say that Rooney leaving was the best thing for his career. Although some people think he never turned into the worldbeater he could have been at Utd, I think staying at Goodison under Moyes would probably have nerfed his talent even more.

Had to laugh. 0-0 sat in his chair looking grim.

1, 2 & 3 nil still in the same spot.

This is why he will never be a winner. You don't sit back and watch your team flop you motivate and boss them around.

That Sunderland performance was thoroughly Moyes. No ambition, just keep your shape and try not to lose - we've took a knife to a gunfight lads, but don't go stabbing.

Grim manager who will never win a thing.

Moyes turned our club around and to realize how much, you only need to to consider how much grief and resentment Martinez got when he was fired for dragging us down to a level far beyond that which Moyes inherited. For that boost he gave us when we were on our arse I am always gonna be grateful.

If he does half as well for Sunderland as he did for us, they will be fine.

I'll preface this by acknowledging that Moyes is indeed a negative manager with many flaws, his biggest one being his constant lowering of expectations and never daring to dream.

However, who knows where we would be without him? Honestly, when he took over we were proper relegation fodder, I remember sitting through those Walter Smith games thinking it's only a matter of time before we're doomed to lower league football. He took us as far as he was capable but a long way nonetheless and in our history he deserves some credit for that.

He's on a huge PR crusade at the moment, preaching long term and over exaggerating his accomplishments at Everton to afford him as much time as possible at Sunderland.

“We had a great team at Everton but we were missing a centre-forward,” Moyes said. “I might be exaggerating, but I think with that we would have been close to winning the Premier League, we were that good.

How many times did he break out transfer record on a centre-forward? Beattie? Yakubu, Johnson...

He's doing his usual isn't he? Downplaying the ambition of the team he's at (he even tried it at Man Utd!) and talking himself up.

A little unfair, considering players at the time of breaking our 8, 9, 10m transfer records were going for 20m+ elsewhere.. Breaking a record of slightly more expensive cheap buys doesn't mean he has an even playing field.

He couldn't of bought a Suarez, Van Nestleroy, Rooney, Torres, Aguerro, Henry and all the other top strikers he had to face off against.. He had to challenge the signings of Drogba with a signing of say Beattie.. not exactly like for like in the old transfer market, breaking club records or not.
Sunderland broke their record since Moyes went there... Not exactly bringing in Pogba though is he?

A little unfair, considering players at the time of breaking our 8, 9, 10m transfer records were going for 20m+ elsewhere.. Breaking a record of slightly more expensive cheap buys doesn't mean he has an even playing field.

He couldn't of bought a Suarez, Van Nestleroy, Rooney, Torres, Aguerro, Henry and all the other top strikers he had to face off against.. He had to challenge the signings of Drogba with a signing of say Beattie.. not exactly like for like in the old transfer market, breaking club records or not.
Sunderland broke their record since Moyes went there... Not exactly bringing in Pogba though is he?

It's not really that unfair though. Suarez went for £65 mil the same window we bought Rom for £28 mil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back