Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Moyes to Sunderland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strikers cost a lot though, Moyes never had 28m to buy Lukaku.
In fact, to give a little perspective, Moyes record highest ever transfer fee for Everton - (Fellaini) was beaten by Newcastle... in 1996!!!... 20 years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progression_of_British_football_transfer_fee_record

My point was it's not like we were spending with the big boys. The truly minted top four/six. Lallana was only £3 mil less than Rom in that window. Hererra was nearly £60 mil.

Moyes had plenty of good strikers during his time with us. At least they were good strikers when they joined us. After a season closing down defenders, chasing back, and feeding off scraps he ruined each and every one of them.

You have to say that Rooney leaving was the best thing for his career. Although some people think he never turned into the worldbeater he could have been at Utd, I think staying at Goodison under Moyes would probably have nerfed his talent even more.

He was very good-excellent in the transfer window however with the exception of the Yak he was always afraid to pull the trigger and take a risk on a goal scorer. It was always a band-aid and a hope and a prayer it would work. We have 10M to spend - we got Billy. 15M: Fellani. By no means Fellani was a bust but it probably wasn't what we needed. And 07-08 with the Yak we played our best footie under him.

It was the same way at Man Utd. Trying to make do with a declining Rooney a player he may not have any relationship with. Also Sunderland where its pray Defoe can another turn back the clock season and even though they don't have a No.2 striker he bought the Dong.

I'm not convinced he would have won the title if he had lukaku as he didn't believe the club could take take on man u and the rs and always bottled the key games. To defensive at time but he gave us our pride bacj and made us stronger and hard to play against. He should have won an f.a cup at least.

Sunderland fans should give him at least 3 seasons to build a team.

The stick he's taking from some blues is ridiculous. What did he do other then act like a tit in his first few months at Man Utd? Some of you have short memories and have forgotten just how bad things had got here before Moyes arrived. I'd never want Moyes back at this club, he doesn't have enough ambition and would never be able to break past his glass ceiling or win anything. I just find it hilarious that the people giving Moyes the most stick are incidentally the same people who blindly defend El Fraudo for setting us back way worse then we were before Moyes left the club.

The stick he's taking from some blues is ridiculous. What did he do other then act like a tit in his first few months at Man Utd? Some of you have short memories and have forgotten just how bad things had got here before Moyes arrived. I'd never want Moyes back at this club, he doesn't have enough ambition and would never be able to break past his glass ceiling or win anything. I just find it hilarious that the people giving Moyes the most stick are incidentally the same people who blindly defend El Fraudo for setting us back way worse then we were before Moyes left the club.

This.......well said mate. How many of those who moan about him wouldn't have done what he did, the biggest club in the world comes calling you go if you want to push your career. The only thing that I could blame him for was not signing a new contract and I feel certain that was at United's instruction. Leave the guy alone he is absolutely nothing to do with us now show the same grace he has shown us. His team got ruined by his successor, now that is the prat you should direct your venom at.

The stick he's taking from some blues is ridiculous. What did he do other then act like a tit in his first few months at Man Utd? Some of you have short memories and have forgotten just how bad things had got here before Moyes arrived. I'd never want Moyes back at this club, he doesn't have enough ambition and would never be able to break past his glass ceiling or win anything

Totally agree. Well said.

Sorry I can't agree.

While I think we all appreciate what Moyes did to save us from where we were. He stayed 2, possibly 3 seasons longer than he should have done. We were never going to break that glass ceiling with him, and nearly did the season after he left with one of the worst managers going.
People would do well to remember things such as Saha off Distin on. And continually wetting ourselves when it actually mattered.
And while some of this still happens now, it certainly showed no signs of stopping under Moyes.

And then to top it all off, the total disrespect he showed once he left. Admittedly, he was only doing what he thought right for the team he was working for at the time but there are much better ways to do it.
You'll notice how Ronald Koeman didn't come out and say Sunderland should let Lamina Kone leave to progress his career at a bigger club. There are ways to not look a tit.

Sorry. Appreciate what he did at the time, but it's a no from me.

Sorry I can't agree.

While I think we all appreciate what Moyes did to save us from where we were. He stayed 2, possibly 3 seasons longer than he should have done. We were never going to break that glass ceiling with him, and nearly did the season after he left with one of the worst managers going.
People would do well to remember things such as Saha off Distin on. And continually wetting ourselves when it actually mattered.
And while some of this still happens now, it certainly showed no signs of stopping under Moyes.

And then to top it all off, the total disrespect he showed once he left. Admittedly, he was only doing what he thought right for the team he was working for at the time but there are much better ways to do it.
You'll notice how Ronald Koeman didn't come out and say Sunderland should let Lamina Kone leave to progress his career at a bigger club. There are ways to not look a tit.

Sorry. Appreciate what he did at the time, but it's a no from me.
Nobody is defending Moyes obvious fault's here. I'd agree he stayed here about three years to many and he acted like an idiot in his first few months at Utd. However when I look back on his time here, I see a very flawed manager who did far more good then harm. This club was on its arse after a decade of garbage football and almost yearly relegation battles. Moyes put an end to that. He gave the club it's dignity back and put us in a position were we could have ambitions that went beyond juat staying up. I'm not saying he's a club legend or anything even approaching that and I'm very happy that we've moved past him but if you look at his work here I think he at least deserves respect and certainly not the stick he's taking. Does his silly nonsense when he first went to Utd change anything? Only if your determined to not look at the bigger picture.

Nobody is defending Moyes obvious fault's here. I'd agree he stayed here about three years to many and he acted like an idiot in his first few months at Utd. However when I look back on his time here, I see a very flawed manager who did far more good then harm. This club was on its arse after a decade of garbage football and almost yearly relegation battles. Moyes put an end to that. He gave the club it's dignity back and put us in a position were we could have ambitions that went beyond juat staying up. I'm not saying he's a club legend or anything even approaching that and I'm very happy that we've moved past him but if you look at his work here I think he at least deserves respect and certainly not the stick he's taking. Does his silly nonsense when he first went to Utd change anything? Only if your determined to not look at the bigger picture.

I'm not saying either view is right or wrong, I just don't have any particularly good feelings towards him bar appreciating what he did to sort us right on early doors in his career here.

I'm not sure I can give him any more respect than that when he showed us so little

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back