Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Moyes to Sunderland

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Moyes got Sunderland to any final, this is how it would pan out.

Prior to the game, he would be pessimistic and prepare the fans for defeat.

Sunderland would take a shock lead, and then hold on for grim death until the 75th minute.

In a flash of tactical genius, Defoe would be substituted for a dodgy left back.

Sunderland concede 3 goals in the last fifteen minutes.

Doesn't surprise me to hear that. I think the trajectory looks downward for Moyesie. He might make a fist of it at Sunderland, but I doubt it. If he finishes well down the league I dont think he'll be there next season. He's destined for a triumphant return to Deepdale at some point. I'm convinced of it.

If he keeps them up, if he goes back to how he approached the job at Everton circa his first few years, (basics, decent transfers, knife to a gunfight), he will be ok there.

But his ego has been stroked by having Man Utd on his cv. You can argue long into the night about his tenure there, but he was a United manager, who, in his mind, got them to a 1/4 final of the CL, I think.

And LVG, and Jose, on the evidence to date, havnt really done that much more than he did.

See, showing the Sunderland defense how Jags defends would be a half decent idea at Sunderland, for example. Not sure he would try that now though.

If he keeps them up, if he goes back to how he approached the job at Everton circa his first few years, (basics, decent transfers, knife to a gunfight), he will be ok there.

But his ego has been stroked by having Man Utd on his cv. You can argue long into the night about his tenure there, but he was a United manager, who, in his mind, got them to a 1/4 final of the CL, I think.

And LVG, and Jose, on the evidence to date, havnt really done that much more than he did.

See, showing the Sunderland defense how Jags defends would be a half decent idea at Sunderland, for example. Not sure he would try that now though.
The context at Sunderland and here a few years ago is all different though: we had people in charge prepared to put up with 17th in his second season. At Sunderland they do that and they get binned.

Moyes had a situation here where he had a pretty decent net spend up until about 2009 (I did the breakdown on here once and basically the firesale after 2009 at this club tends to massively skew Moyes' inability to compete in the market whilst here (not massive spending, but as good as anything in the clubs we called our peers at the time barring Spurs). At Sunderland it doesn't look like he's getting even sell to buy at this point. I think he knows he's right up against it there and that Short has played on his desperation to get back in the PL.

He might get a respectable lower half finish, but it looks daunting to me.

The context at Sunderland and here a few years ago is all different though: we had people in charge prepared to put up with 17th in his second season. At Sunderland they do that and they get binned.

Moyes had a situation here where he had a pretty decent net spend up until about 2009 (I did the breakdown on here once and basically the firesale after 2009 at this club tends to massively skew Moyes' inability to compete in the market whilst here (not massive spending, but as good as anything in the clubs we called our peers at the time barring Spurs). At Sunderland it doesn't look like he's getting even sell to buy at this point. I think he knows he's right up against it there and that Short has played on his desperation to get back in the PL.

Have they got anyone to sell? That CH, Konte, been there 2 minutes. Been their problem for decades that. Jordan Henderson and Stuart Pearson are probably the highlights of players sold on for them.

When you look 20 miles up the road and the players Newcastle have sold on/produced, it is well odd.

17th would suit Short fine.

Have they got anyone to sell? That CH, Konte, been there 2 minutes. Been their problem for decades that. Jordan Henderson and Stuart Pearson are probably the highlights of players sold on for them.

When you look 20 miles up the road and the players Newcastle have sold on/produced, it is well odd.

It might suit him, but the fans would see another dance on the trapdoor as unacceptable, IMO.

It might suit him, but the fans would see another dance on the trapdoor as unacceptable, IMO.

Nah. After the start they have had, the shambles they have been, they will be ok with staying up. If they do, I have doubts mind.

They will then expect some Moysesq/Everton flight from from the fire. Thats the bit I think he will now struggle with.

In a way, he is Jose Lite. Boths MO is now looking dated, and frankly, doesnt work any more.

LOL the last two managers there have been treated like Demi-gods for getting them 17th, it's literally all they have. Are you saying Sunderland have higher ambitions than scraping survival?

Last edited:
Moyes is absolutely finished as a manager. He is a caveman when it comes to football these days.

For Sunderland to stand any chance of staying up they will need to win some massive games towards the end of the season to do so and they dont really have the ideal man for winning big games.

Pickford
Kone
Watmore

All look like decent players.

If Moyes got Sunderland to any final, this is how it would pan out.

Prior to the game, he would be pessimistic and prepare the fans for defeat.

Sunderland would take a shock lead, and then hold on for grim death until the 75th minute.

In a flash of tactical genius, Defoe would be substituted for a dodgy left back.

Sunderland concede 3 goals in the last fifteen minutes.
LOL so fkin true

Pickford is special, he's going to be at brilliant and we should be doing everything we can to get him here now.

In my opinion, and many other I may add, he's going to be England's number 1, better than Butland.

I've knew about him for sometime and I have posted so in the past.

He's very, very highly rated by the top GK coaches within the game.

He's not the old style big lump more so a quick, nimble, aggressive modern goalkeeper, gymnast like with outstanding distribution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back