Murders in Liverpool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think it is possible to move to a political system where community spirit and social solidarity exist again?
anything is possible.

there are obviously small pockets of proper communities here and there but i think the constant wearing down of them will carry on.

political systems weren`t meant to work for the benefit of the proletariat.

this system is working perfectly for the power-mad despots

In Chicago if not mistaken, isn’t a lot of gun crime down to the gang culture and the drill music scene?

Sadly, drill is over here and a lot of the young generation are starting to be influenced by that type of music.

On the whole, murders in this country are very rarely committed by guns.
i see it like this too.

i`ve been posting about it for a while but the replies i get are mainly verbally abusive

i think the name-calling and lack of willingness to understand the point i`m trying to make is down to my perceived "politics" not being Lefty/Liberal

i see it like this too.

i`ve been posting about it for a while but the replies i get are mainly verbally abusive

i think the name-calling and lack of willingness to understand the point i`m trying to make is down to my perceived "politics" not being Lefty/Liberal

Defenders of the genre will tell you that drill music and similar "urban culture" is simply an expression of their underprivilege, where criminal behaviour should be excusable. The arrow of causality runs from lifestyle to music, not from music to lifestyle.

Doesn't wash with me for a second.

Music that glorifies some of the most destructive choices young people can make in their lives should be more regulated.

Defenders of the genre will tell you that drill music and similar "urban culture" is simply an expression of their underprivilege, where criminal behaviour should be excusable. The arrow of causality runs from lifestyle to music, not from music to lifestyle.

Doesn't wash with me for a second.

Music that glorifies some of the most destructive choices young people can make in their lives should be more regulated.
maybe the defenders of that genre are saying that but reinforcing negative life-styles or stereotypes is never a solution. its gone from being "reported" on by the rappers to promotion and inverted snobbery like "we`re badder, madder etc than your crew" - its like a race to the bottom with no redeeming features.

maybe its just me hating on music that i haven`t got any time for. here`s a quote from a Pubic Enemy song -

"a peace pow-wow,
instead of pow pow
i`m straight up and i`m straight
so how you like me now"

its possible to see through the nonsense of the system that works against the "lower classes", maybe Chuck D and Flavor are true artists and the Drill rappers are just hyped third rate wannabes out to make a fast buck.

i`ve heard and read of countless people who would refute your claim and have said -"that song changed my life"

....anyway, the world still turns ?

maybe the defenders of that genre are saying that but reinforcing negative life-styles or stereotypes is never a solution. its gone from being "reported" on by the rappers to promotion and inverted snobbery like "we`re badder, madder etc than your crew" - its like a race to the bottom with no redeeming features.

maybe its just me hating on music that i haven`t got any time for. here`s a quote from a Pubic Enemy song -

"a peace pow-wow,
instead of pow pow
i`m straight up and i`m straight
so how you like me now"

its possible to see through the nonsense of the system that works against the "lower classes", maybe Chuck D and Flavor are true artists and the Drill rappers are just hyped third rate wannabes out to make a fast buck.

i`ve heard and read of countless people who would refute your claim and have said -"that song changed my life"

....anyway, the world still turns ?

Not my claim chap, I'm in agreement with you that music is highly influential for young people, in many cases for good.... Teenagers still exploring their identity and finding a common connection with other people, having an influential role model, developing interest in musicianship themselves... however I can't see any of that positive stuff that comes out of Drill music. Like you say, It's a genre that is almost exclusively built on lyrics surrounding competitive gang violence and streret cred.

Not my claim chap, I'm in agreement with you that music is highly influential for young people, in many cases for good.... Teenagers still exploring their identity and finding a common connection with other people, having an influential role model, developing interest in musicianship themselves... however I can't see any of that positive stuff that comes out of Drill music. Like you say, It's a genre that is almost exclusively built on lyrics surrounding competitive gang violence and streret cred.
Don't often take notice of the music used in TV ads. The one with the lad walking with the hoola hoop is, strange to say the least.

In my teens, I grew up on a diet of hardcore punk rock, which was all about anarchy and tearing down the State.

Only my personal experience, but it was all about the music with me and my mates. The anger, the energy and the insane gigs that we all went too.

The message was incidental really, it was all about having a good time and rebelling as a teenager.

We never took the lyrics literally.

At the time, Punk Rock was seen as very dangerous and the end of civilisation lol

I’m neither a wino nor a drunk. You however are a drug addict, and a little 9 year old died because you cannot control your habit…be ashamed because you should be…
This post has offended me more than anything I’ve seen on here. Not so much the words in the post but the sentiment. I work adult protection and you obviously have absolutely zero idea about real life for many people.

Before pointing fingers you should spend a lot more time gaining real life experience of the challenges people are facing. The impact of government cuts to social welfare would also be a good place to start.

If you reckon trickle down economics works then go walk around a uk town or city instead of going to a marks and Spencer food hall in a retail park full of Volvo drivers (Sorry to all conscientious Volvo drivers).

And if you were nearer to the actual problems you would realise that the drug laws and attitudes to the drug laws are some of the most damaging things society has ever known. This coupled with the various social issues caused by the break down of the social welfare system are huge factors that have brought us to where we are today.

A good start point for you would be to look into trauma informed theory. It will help you understand why people do the things they do.

I don’t want to politicise this but it’s hard not to. I have witnessed what could almost be called a cull on the vulnerable over the last 14yrs. Policies that would have met approval from men with small moustaches.

I could go on all day but essentially I would say educate yourself outside of a newspaper and the internet. Go help out in a soup kitchen or food bank. Go help all those people in poverty that ‘just need to make better choices’.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back