Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Naismith? Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Naismith can only be played in a free role in behind a striker because he hasn't got the talent or discipline to do a job elsewhere. It's making a virtue out of a necessity. I'd have Osman or Mirallas in that role way before I'd have him.

I dislike that *position* anyway. It always seems like a square hole you shove a round peg into.
He's out of position. Osman in the same position got slated. He's not our first choice right winger by any stretch but he adds depth to the squad. When he plays he is a little out of sync with the team at this moment because he's not familiar with e position.Hes still managed to score a few useful goals. He deserves a little slack, not sure when we became so hard nosed about players.

Moyesy has said recently that one of the main reason's Naismith's was bought was to get goals. To be fair to him he's looked like scoring most times he's been on the pitch for us, and this is from out wide. Once Mirallas is properly fit we'll hopefully see Felli back in midfield beside Gibson and Naismith in behind Jelavic. It's been pretty obvious so far that Jellavic and Naismith are pretty decent together.

Who would drop out?

He's out of position. Osman in the same position got slated. He's not our first choice right winger by any stretch but he adds depth to the squad. When he plays he is a little out of sync with the team at this moment because he's not familiar with e position.Hes still managed to score a few useful goals. He deserves a little slack, not sure when we became so hard nosed about players.

Osman is a gifted footballer with great feet, an ability to get his head up and link play between attack and midfield. That really was a case of a waste of a talent unsuited playing out wide.

Osman is a gifted footballer with great feet, an ability to get his head up and link play between attack and midfield. That really was a case of a waste of a talent unsuited playing out wide.
I don't disagree, but just because our reserve right wing isn't tearing up trees, we don't need to write him off. He's making a contribution but hasn't settled yet. I know you aren't his biggest fan even before he signed, but you have merely changed tact, from saying he has a liability fitness wise to now saying his performances aren't worthy of a right wing, which he isn't. Yet despite making snap judgements on Naismith, you then scoff at those doing the same to Coleman and his right back berth.

I don't disagree, but just because our reserve right wing isn't tearing up trees, we don't need to write him off. He's making a contribution but hasn't settled yet. I know you aren't his biggest fan even before he signed, but you have merely changed tact, from saying he has a liability fitness wise to now saying his performances aren't worthy of a right wing, which he isn't. Yet despite making snap judgements on Naismith, you then scoff at those doing the same to Coleman and his right back berth.

Because there's a massive difference: we had a viable right side of the team for the first time since Moyes arrived. A few glaring errors doesn't mask the fact that we've been flying on both flanks.

Because there's a massive difference: we had a viable right side of the team for the first time since Moyes arrived. A few glaring errors doesn't mask the fact that we've been flying on both flanks.
Im with you on the Coleman thing but do you not think its a little hypocritical? In one thread condemning a player and then in an other defend a player against criticism?

Im with you on the Coleman thing but do you not think its a little hypocritical? In one thread condemning a player and then in an other defend a player against criticism?

No, because the two situations are vastly different for the reason I stated.

No, because the two situations are vastly different for the reason I stated.
Vastly? Are you not just being selectively dismissive? Coleman is the right option for me at right back and would be viewed as progress. Likewise in order to sustain a run of form or survive an injury crisis we require a bigger squad. Utility players are required. That would be progress as well if these players learn to play different positions wouldn't it?

Thoughts on Naismith?

He's a bit **** generally and for the life of me seems to be lacking in most of the top level skills you associate with any forward creaming £20K/£30K a week in the Premier League. I cried when een him on the pitch on Sunday. We're better than that now. To me he smacks of a Walter signing from a bygone era. I'd love to see him flogged to Sunderland or Wolves or someone in January for a few million quid.

Every game he plays is one less for Barkley.

he's a squad player who will get us goals because he has that nack of getting in the right place. He's also being played out of position. he's by no means the best but not bad as far as a backup goes for a skint club like us

Naismith is sort of crap at RM. Don't think you can compare Naismith with Gibson, because Gibson always makes himself available, and his passes are advantageous, even if they're not killer through balls. Naismith hides from the ball at RM. Needs to play up top with Jelavic if he's going to play at all, IMO.

this thread reminds me of how some responded to Gibson being signed.

fat lady hasnt even started to clear her throat

Wow, someone with only 8 posts talking more sense than most of this forum when it comes to Naismith.

Naismith? He's only scored three goals so get rid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back