Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Naismith? Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a winner.

I sometimes wonder if Evertonians actually understand that players are better at playing when put in their preferred positions.

Apparently not.

Omg have I fallen back in time and landed in a billy thread!?!?

Naismith is poor, a squad filler at most. Off the striker may be his prefered role but he's still not gonna all of a sudden turn into a great player. He's not all of a sudden be able to control the ball, beat a man, thread a pass, keep possession....If he's put behind the striker.

We shouldn't have to be relying on Naismith starting. We shouldn't have to be short of a natural No.10 ect ect...
But this is EFC and bill Kenwright's penny less train so moyes will have to continue in this vain of average players and square pegs round holes.

As for Naismith against Southampton, he was as poor as always. The rest of the team just sunk to his level.

As for Naismith against Southampton, he was as poor as always. The rest of the team just sunk to his level.

When Moyes pulled him inside he was a thousand times better. I'd rather see him in the centre of midfield than on the wing. He's as much of a winger as Jagielka is. I'm not saying he's a great player, he clearly isn't. But being on the wing is doing him no favours at all.

If Cahill had been played on the right wing for the first 6 months of his Everton career he would have been hated. The same is happening with Naismith. Naismith and Cahill are virtually the same player. Good in the air, up for a battle, not world beaters with the ball at their feet and no real pace. The difference is that Cahill was always played in the position he thrived in.

The only comparison with Cahill and Naismith would be when Cahill was in the last season of his time with us, weighed down by injury and too much club and international football and well off the pace. That Cahill was a shadow of the feller who arrived at the club. Cahill had an engine on him and was blistering at turning up from deep - never in a million years is Naismith half the player Cahill was.

It's obvious to me the only role Naismith fancies is not out wide or even the Cahill role, it's as part of a two man attack with Jelavic...a role where he doesn't need to do much running and he can pick up the crumbs lying about in the box. Look at where he ends up now when he's being tasked with a RM berth - he's hardly ever there, he's drifting as close to jelavic as he can get and we have a shocking shape to us when a move breaks down.

People earlier in the thread had it right, imo: if Mirallas is out switch Pienaar over to RM and give Oviedo a go on the left. Naismith should be watching games not playing in them.

I'm willing to give the lad a year to settle in, especially after his injury problems. I don't think Moyes is helping him out at all, playing him on the wing but that's his choice and i'll go with it.

The one thing i can't understand is why Oviedo isn't being given a go?!?!

Everton forward in playing-badly-at-wide-right-shocker.

See Marcus Bent, Andy Johnson, Victor Anichebe.

His poachers goals (let's not forget he got us a derby equalizer) and some impressive early performances still give me hope but the aversion to having an actual right winger playing right wing really does my nut in, it's like Kryptonite for Moyes, thankfully Mirallas is back.

Worst in the prem... it was that bad no-one would even play the ball the that side after the 70th minute because they are absoloutly awful... Mirallas chose to shoot instead of laying it off for Naismith... I never, ever, ever want to see them 2 occupying the right side of our team together ever again...:@

pretty much made it easy for Southampton to concentrate defending on the left side because they had nothing at all to be worried about across the park
clueless lad ,they have got a young left back who is on fire at the moment ,he never went by naismith once ,or neville . not once

Jelavic last year " Naismith is one of the best "forwards" I have played with! "! But as we can all see a right winger he ain't. Jelavic hasn't been the same since Fellaini went "up front", and in my humble opinion that has only really worked well a couple of times!

So is it too simplistic to try Naismith up with Jelavic, drop Fellaini back to CM where he can have far more influence over the course of a game, and which by the way breaks up that Neville/Osman thing in the middle which is so bad it's not true!

Neville should only be any where near the team as a right back if Seamus is injured, and if (a big if I know!) everyone is fit Osman should be on the bench at best!

Oh well, looks like we have a new whipping boy!

I have to say that as bad as he was last night, people are right, he should not be playing in that position.

The fact that Moyes keeps playing him there, instead of playing maybe Pienaar on the right and Oviedo on the left is rather baffling. But then again I think Moyes was happy to try and go solid and go for the point last night, so he tried to go solid and thinks of Naismith as a player who will make less mistakes and keep the unit tight.

It was a terrible all round performance by everyone, not just Naismith.

Thankfully Mirallas is back and hopefully he will start there in future.

clueless lad ,they have got a young left back who is on fire at the moment ,he never went by naismith once ,or neville . not once

I'm sorry but I want more from our attacking wide player than to just try and stop a 17 year old full back from going forward. Shaw made Naismith look like the inexperienced player.

I said it before in the thread, Naismith offers nothing, and can barely do the basics. He's got to the point where he just gets in the way, he's like an amateur trying to play the professional game, who is in serious danger of being found out and sent back.

I'm sorry but I want more from our attacking wide player than to just try and stop a 17 year old full back from going forward. Shaw made Naismith look like the inexperienced player.

I said it before in the thread, Naismith offers nothing, and can barely do the basics. He's got to the point where he just gets in the way, he's like an amateur trying to play the professional game, who is in serious danger of being found out and sent back.
ye your right lad sorry ,

Not good enough for the Premier League sadly, for a professional footballer I can't believe how bad he is at some very basic things, his first touch is woeful and his passing isn't much better.

Should of stayed in the Scottish League's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back