Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2021/22 Nathan Patterson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dave, we have done the Coleman thing to death now. Apart from the odd rare game he simply can't cut it anymore. Poor passing & plenty of mistakes. His experience counts for nothing if he's not playing good enough anymore.
If Patterson is also going to make mistakes then he has a lot of time to rectify these issues & be molded into a better all round player. At some point we have to start that process & the sooner we do it the sooner we benefit from it. What exactly are we getting from yet another lacklustre performance from a guy who should have stopped being in the first 11 three years ago? Coleman is only getting worse. Patterson can be improved.
Now you could argue it's too big a game or too soon for Patterson but everyone in here already knows the performance we will get from Seamus. Maybe, just maybe we get a better game out of him. Time off to energise the batteries & a new manager bounce but we know that won't last long & it just kicks the can of Patterson's development down the road.
It's time for change & you need to give your head a wobble if you can't see that.

Spot on really.

It took Coleman time to get going. Had a couple of shockers early on.
Short memories some people.

Imagine what he could achieve under a manager who does want to develop young players.

Gray to my mind is a unique creature in my option mate, I was underwhelmed we signed him, thought it was a lazy, needs must, depth signing.

Shows not to make assumptions, he has almost everything bar consistency and he’s getting better at that he has , pace, technique, awareness, vision, finishing ability - the absolute thing with him though that sets him party from 99% of other players and I don’t hear many mention it, is his touch, it’s amazing, if you watch when he takes the ball into himself he kills it stone dead and has it instantly under control and he has the ability to benefit. This is how he makes time and is unpredictable. Cruyff used to have it to - not many players have it, even top top players.

Last edited:
I agree on Richarlison starting from the left Eggs. But I think you're being a bit unkind on Gray there. I was one of his doubters when we bought him but I'm happy to hold my hands up and say he proved me wrong. He was never going to keep up his early season form when he was arguably one of the best players in the league, but even over the last couple of months, along with Gordon, he's the only player that continued to carry the fight to the opposition. His pace and his ability to run with the ball is a great asset to have which is why I would try and find a place for him in my first choice starting XI. Probably from the right if we're starting Richy on the left. It's a nice problem to have tbh and one of the reasons that, now we have a proper manager in charge, I'm confident that we'll get out of this mess.

…oh, I agree, Fred, Gray has been terrific. A fine acquisition and as you say, a nice problem to have if Lampard sets the team up as we expect.

Coufal
Cresswell
Livramento
Tomiyasu
Reguillon

All good at both ends

I know you've already written off Patterson for some reason, but he needs to be given a chance, and cup rather than league makes sense. Coleman can't play Saturday Tuesday any more so Patterson today Coleman Tuesday is the sensible call for me.

Its not like Colemans form means he should even play every game anyway. He's making mistakes you would never have seen from him 2 or 3 years ago and too many of them
Hate to say it but Coleman's mistakes have possibly lost us about 6 points this season. Silly errors. Plus he hasn't delivered at the other end, which is something we've always argued more than made up for his defensive frailties. Given the alternatives, I actually don't believe it's taking much if a risk to play Patterson today.

Gray to my mind is a unique creature in my option mate, I was underwhelmed we signed him, thought it was a lazy, needs must, depth signing.

Shows not to make assumptions, he has almost everything bar consistency and he’s getting better at that he has , pace, technique, awareness, vision, finishing ability - the absolute thing with him though that sets him party from 99% of other players and I don’t hear many mention it, is his touch, it’s amazing, if you watch when he takes the ball into himself he kills it stone dead and has it instantly in control and he has the ability to benefit. This is how he makes time and is unpredictable. Cruyff used to have it to - not many players have it, even top top players.
Can't say i'd noticed mate. But I was watching the Man Utd game last night and that was something that stood out with Jadon Sancho. His first touch was excellent and then it was head up looking for an option.

Dave, we have done the Coleman thing to death now. Apart from the odd rare game he simply can't cut it anymore. Poor passing & plenty of mistakes. His experience counts for nothing if he's not playing good enough anymore.
If Patterson is also going to make mistakes then he has a lot of time to rectify these issues & be molded into a better all round player. At some point we have to start that process & the sooner we do it the sooner we benefit from it. What exactly are we getting from yet another lacklustre performance from a guy who should have stopped being in the first 11 three years ago? Coleman is only getting worse. Patterson can be improved.
Now you could argue it's too big a game or too soon for Patterson but everyone in here already knows the performance we will get from Seamus. Maybe, just maybe we get a better game out of him. Time off to energise the batteries & a new manager bounce but we know that won't last long & it just kicks the can of Patterson's development down the road.
It's time for change & you need to give your head a wobble if you can't see that.
Coleman's decline has been exaggerated. Yes, his attacking play has declined. But he shows for the ball and can link up attack and defence. Even at this stage he's a better option than Patterson. Patterson should be given games later in the season when PL survival is defo secured.

Not as a defender he isn't.

We have enough attacking intent in this team so we want defenders to defend.

I have never seen him play but I’m hopefull he won’t start kicking free kicks to palace players to score or play in one of the most leathal finishers in the league to go one on one with our keeper on a weekly basis which is what Coleman has been doing recently

Hate to say it but Coleman's mistakes have possibly lost us about 6 points this season. Silly errors. Plus he hasn't delivered at the other end, which is something we've always argued more than made up for his defensive frailties. Given the alternatives, I actually don't believe it's taking much if a risk to play Patterson today.
Morning Fred, Seamus needed replaced or rested years ago. He still does but i dont think Pattersons anywhere near ready to replace him- hes a young Scottish fb but thats all - hes not a Robertson or a Tierney and not because of where he came from, hes our player now, he lacks positional sense defensively maybe he can be taught it but im sure he hasnt learnt it in the few weeks hes been here. Id play Coleman today to keep this weeks good vibes going. If we get a Newport or similar in the next round throw him in then.

Coleman's decline has been exaggerated. Yes, his attacking play has declined. But he shows for the ball and can link up attack and defence. Even at this stage he's a better option than Patterson. Patterson should be given games later in the season when PL survival is defo secured.
Coleman’s been dreadful in defence and attack. Zero exaggeration.

What makes you think survival is assured later in the season if we persist with one of the clear problems of our demise? We all know the joke, Coleman receives the ball, looks forward, opens mouth then passes backwards. That won't change. Maybe for a game or two but the Seamus of the last few seasons will come back & disappoint as usual. If both Patterson & Coleman are poor defensively then i want the different attacking style & thinking of Patterson to try to give us a new approach because the current one wasn't working. I'm also not saying Patterson will work either but we know the Coleman way doesn't work anymore.
Coleman is also part of the being closed down too easily problem we have which results in the inevitable hoof from Pickford or Keane. I think Patterson has the confidence to seek & actually play the pass forward when he receives it.
Time for change.

Morning Fred, Seamus needed replaced or rested years ago. He still does but i dont think Pattersons anywhere near ready to replace him- hes a young Scottish fb but thats all - hes not a Robertson or a Tierney and not because of where he came from, hes our player now, he lacks positional sense defensively maybe he can be taught it but im sure he hasnt learnt it in the few weeks hes been here. Id play Coleman today to keep this weeks good vibes going. If we get a Newport or similar in the next round throw him in then.
Morning Joe. I respectfully disagree mate. I believe it's a bigger risk to play Seamus at the moment due to his form and the number of mistakes he's been making, and Kenny just isn't good enough i'm afraid. I accept that Patterson isn't the finished article yet and that he has a lot, in fact an awful lot to learn. But the only way he is going to learn, and indeed arguably the best and quickest way to learn, is actually on the job. And rather the FA cup 4th round than a genuine 6 pointer league match against a relegation rival. At his age and stage in his career he's ahead of Robertson, and not too far behind Tierney, certainly at International level anyway. I appreciate Tierney played a lot more club games by this age.

I may be proved wrong and he has an absolute stinker and be at fault for us going out of the cup. But the same could be said if we started with Coleman based on his last dozen or so performances.

Rich almost certainly leaves in the summer and I think it probably strengthens us overall. Gordon - DCL - Gray as a front 3 with the Rich money going on centre backs and midfielders who can tackle and pass.

Perfect game to start Patterson today, Brentford are crap and it means Coleman doesn’t have to play 2 games in quick succession. He’ll be in for Newcastle.

Patterson has to play tonight.

Cant just be thrown in against Newcastle...

He then needs to keep his place for the remainder of the season because if Coleman plays...

...we lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back