Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2021/22 Nathan Patterson

Status
Not open for further replies.
As predicted, this thread is absolutely mental from all sides after Patterson’s first outing…
So far all I've got is he plays too far forward while also playing too defensively. He shows glimpses of class while also showing he is complete garbage, he is a good signing but a bad signing, he has never played before but is also experienced in Europe.

Pretty clear what we think about him.

(I wouldn't be surprised if he turned out to be gender fluid too)

Did okay. Had a strange way of constantly cutting in on his left foot though. Don't think Townsend offered any link up play with him either (same with Gordon and Mykolenko on the other side).

Said before...he's still rough and will need time.

The formation killed him, and Mykolenko to a lesser extent in the first half. It was utterly ridiculous to set up with 3 centre halves against zero forwards. It meant the two centre halves moved into full back areas and conjested the wide areas that the wing backs wanted, braithwaite to a lesser extent but watch it back, numerous times Kenny was 5 yards away from Patterson. Meant the space was totally and utterly conjested. Not a chance a run in behind was on because of it. On either flank. We managed it, what once, or twice, the full half.

Frank, to his credit, noticed it and changed it at half time.

The four allowed both wide men to drift in, dragging them more narrow and created the space for Rondon's first, with space finally for Kenny to get in to rather than two players dragging the opposition into the same space.

His touch and crisp passing was very good on the first half, but did look a bit hesitant to take his man on, probably lack of match sharpness. Made some great runs that Townsend in particular failed to see or wasn't confident in his ability to find him. It was played to him when he was covered the whole half. Due to our lethargic passing and lack of urgency.

He's a player. Relax. It's money well spent.
Spot on mate

Did okay. Had a strange way of constantly cutting in on his left foot though. Don't think Townsend offered any link up play with him either (same with Gordon and Mykolenko on the other side).

I thought he did well. His roughness reminded me of Coleman at the start. I'd be looking to get him on the pitch during home games where we'll have more of the ball.

Can you see him getting up and down that line?

Every time I've seen him play for rangers, Scotland and now Everton he is high up the pitch and plays as an out and out winger. And that's in both 3 at the back and 4 at the back systems. We'd be utterly 'kin mullered against PL outfits with a FB playing that way.

He isn't a complete duffer. I can see that he links up well with balls to feet (and his crossing is usually better than those tripe efforts tonight) but FFS he needs a spell out at a Championship club to give him some defensive capabilities. Clear as day that is.
Yes Dave, I can see him getting up and down the line, I think he has every chance of becoming a good premier league full back. As to getting mullered away to PL outfits, what do you think is happening at the moment? I'm pretty sure that the only way he will play in the championship next season is if he does so for Everton. We are absolutely crying out for pace at the back, much as I like Seamus, he is often bypassed by quick wingers these days, he has just lost that yard of pace.

If we stay up, I think we will get a first choice in on loan and Patterson all be gradually integrated during the course of the season. If he's not good enough, we'll know by this time next season, untill then it is all a matter of opinion.

Link up play is one of the top 3 missing pieces of the Everton jigsaw for me. Most of the forwards/wingers are direct players who for the majority of the time get their heads down and try to make something happen individually. We haven’t seen good link up play between winger and full back since Bainaar.

I thought it was a promising start taking into account the opposition.

Bad luck that he was the one sacrificed to change the shape of the team.

However, he needs to build on this now, can he do the same in the Premier League?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back