2023/24 Nathan Patterson

Already has a job at a PL club where his competition is two geriatrics in his favoured position. He is a Scotland international and should be at his peak. Why is this not working for him?

Agreed totally. I don't understand the clamour amongst some of the participants of this forum for Patterson to fail here. I understand it from @davek, that's just straightforward bigotry, but from others it's just odd. The lad's been in and out of the side, has problems with injury and, I would argue at least, that his performances have been mixed rather than universally poor.
Its not his fault that we've not bought well but at the end of the day we were all desperate for us to replace Coleman for years and then we brought him in and it just hasn't worked out at all so far so its normal for people to judge him harshly I think.

Its not his fault that we've not bought well but at the end of the day we were all desperate for us to replace Coleman for years and then we brought him in and it just hasn't worked out at all so far so its normal for people to judge him harshly I think.
Judge him, fine, it's certainly not gone how we'd all hope, but the vitriol for this lad is completely unwarranted. The word "harshly" is key here. He doesn't fit the way Dyche wants to play, that is clear, and a move probably suits all parties on that basis, but to write him off completely as a failure isn't based on any real evidence. And continuing to rely on an ancient Young and a broken down Coleman is madness. Particularly now that Godfrey has gone.

Already has a job at a PL club where his competition is two geriatrics in his favoured position. He is a Scotland international and should be at his peak. Why is this not working for him?

….he’s not being picked because Dyche prefers others. He was virtually 4th choice last season. Some posters think he should just play and he’ll develop but the reality is he’s not deemed good enough and any amount of games might not change that.

I’m of a view that it’s a position that needs strengthening, I was delighted with the links to Issa Kabore but that rumour has gone very quiet. I expect we’ll bring somebody in.

I think it’s this simple: with an attack that didn’t score many goals last season, Dyche favoured a back four that would be solid and not concede many where Patterson is much more of an asset going forward than defending

I think it’s this simple: with an attack that didn’t score many goals last season, Dyche favoured a back four that would be solid and not concede many where Patterson is much more of an asset going forward than defending
So if its looking like our attack will improve this year with addition of Ndaiye and rumoured wingers will Patterson be in with more of a chance?

I’ve never seen a player get caught out of position so many times. I suppose there’s things you can teach and things you should just know. He’s terrible at it, terrible.

From what I’ve seen of him, I really don’t get the hate.
IF the manager thinks he’s a bit questionable he should play him further forward as the attacking bit of his game has seemed fine to me.

There I’ve said it.

His skillet is attacking , Dyche prefers more defensive full backs. He hasn't kicked on and has been plagued by injuries. In reality I think we bought him before we saw real development. He needs to go somewhere and play first team football
I wouldn’t have said he was that good going forward myself tbh he’s ok but there’s nothing very impressive about his attacking I don’t think.

I wouldn’t have said he was that good going forward myself tbh he’s ok but there’s nothing very impressive about his attacking I don’t think.

…i agree, its weird how some think he’s Carlos Alberto but other than a fantastic cross from which Danjuma scored and an assist for Dobbin in U21s I don’t see much from him going forward. Defensively, he positions himself either too far away from his winger, or rushes him making him easy to pass.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Coaches have stats which show increase in crosses when he plays.

I want him to be good but he’s been a big disappointment. Mykolenko improved last season, fingers crossed.

Last edited:
So if its looking like our attack will improve this year with addition of Ndaiye and rumoured wingers will Patterson be in with more of a chance?
I think he’s got a better chance of getting in the team yeah

And in regards to the above I think he is direct and runs at defenders, can actually whip a cross and link up with quick passes so yeah I think he is decent attacking and with more game time could become good

In the 97th percentile of fullbacks across the top 5 European leagues (and UCL/UEL) for tackles won per 90.

There are flaws as expected with someone his age learning his trade. But he does have quality there as well.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.