2023/24 Nathan Patterson

As long as Young keep topping the physical tests, he'll still be favoured to Patterson at RB. The same applies for Coleman. Couple that with the experience Young and Coleman have. Just trying to get into the psyche of Dyche.

As long as Young keep topping the physical tests, he'll still be favoured to Patterson at RB. The same applies for Coleman. Couple that with the experience Young and Coleman have. Just trying to get into the psyche of Dyche.

….i think it’s solely down to Coleman, Young (and Godfrey) being superior RBs, nothing more, nothing less. Posters should stop making excuses for Patterson, he doesn’t ’need a run of games to develop’, he just needs to perform.

….i think it’s solely down to Coleman, Young (and Godfrey) being superior RBs, nothing more, nothing less. Posters should stop making excuses for Patterson, he doesn’t ’need a run of games to develop’, he just needs to perform.

Tend to agree.

The period that stands out for me recently was the really bad start to the season we made last season, we lost the first three games, when he was the starting right back then we drew with Sheff Utd when he started, he then went out of the team.

He had an opportunity and he didn't take it and you have to at this level, he needs to wait for the next.

His skillet is attacking , Dyche prefers more defensive full backs. He hasn't kicked on and has been plagued by injuries. In reality I think we bought him before we saw real development. He needs to go somewhere and play first team football
It’s fair to say Dyche does like defensively solid defenders but if one is good enough and excels going forward he’ll still pick them - he had trippier as his right back at Burnley

I remember 12 months ago we were talking about Myklenko in the sam way we was talking about Patterson now! Not good enough, not PL class.

We need to give him more of a chance. He has the perfect environment to thrive at Everton. Next 12 months are the most important in his career

I'm definitely not writing the lad off yet, he's certainly got good ability.

He'll see himself as a proper senior player now as should the fans, and has had a good acclimatisation period to England, the club and the Premier League.

He needs to get properly fit and prove he's not injury prone for me. If he can, I'm sure he can play a good part next season.

Think if we ever reverted to three at the back and used wing backs, I think he's got pace and skill in forward areas.

His positioning looks all over the place though and looks lightweight. Hope he gets a chance this season rather than selling.

I remember 12 months ago we were talking about Myklenko in the sam way we was talking about Patterson now! Not good enough, not PL class.

We need to give him more of a chance. He has the perfect environment to thrive at Everton. Next 12 months are the most important in his career
Myko was sound defensively last season. Everyone acted like he was crap because he didn’t score/assist. But defensively he was always solid enough for someone just moving to the country whose home was being attacked.

He was also carrying an injury the whole season and waiting to the off season before sorting it.

People just need to give younger players a chance before writing them off based on a handful of appearances.

I wouldn’t have said he was that good going forward myself tbh he’s ok but there’s nothing very impressive about his attacking I don’t think.
I wasnt saying it was partocularly great either I just meant it's more where his skills are than defending(where he can switch off at time), ie driving with the ball and crossing, but as I said he hasn't developed so it's moot. Also Dyche tells his full backs mostly to sit in or at least on one side. For me he needs a loan or to be sold unless he is going to dramatically improve this season. I fear he isn't going to get in our team much though.
…i agree, its weird how some think he’s Carlos Alberto but other than a fantastic cross from which Danjuma scored and an assist for Dobbin in U21s I don’t see much from him going forward. Defensively, he positions himself either too far away from his winger, or rushes him making him easy to pass.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Coaches have stats which show increase in crosses when he plays.

I want him to be good but he’s been a big disappointment. Mykolenko improved last season, fingers crossed.
I think its a combination of he hasn't developed, was bought too early, and has had too many injuries or isn't being allowed to go over the half way line under Dyche he definetly suited being allowed to bomb on a bit more under Lamps, but I agree he isn't great at it either or shown much of it in a blue shirt so i get why Dyche has favoured experience at times. But with his long stride and delivery which he has produced at times for Scotland that's where his potential was meant to be. Also it's just in comparison to his defending which as you pointed out leaves alot to be desired. I assumed that's why we bought him to be more of an attacking full back at the time. Anyway unless he kicks on like Myko did, which I doubt, I think he will be loaned out or sold. Which is a shame but maybe for the best he just isn't developed enough and may never be good enough for where we are right now. I would favour bringing in another full back or two.

Last edited:

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.