2023/24 Nathan Patterson

Status
Not open for further replies.

I suppose he just liked it because it was a hero shot, but it’s hardly a picture I’d be delightedly tweeting.

Thought he was decent today. Great assist.

IMG_8514.webp

It’s a bad photo, but is it THAT bad?

What the hell does Twitter think the dude is up to?

It was a great assist he needs to do it more often and get further forward

As soon as we equalised we revert back to cautious and defensive Everton again and we won’t win these type of games unless we take the risk more often and push further forward

When Harrison/McNeill are fit I think he has to put Garner in at right back. Patterson just doesn’t look ready - whether he will ever be is another debate.
So killing our best midfielder to take up a spot we already have 2 players for, is gonna work wonders for us isn't It..

The lad is gradually getting pulled apart to fil gaps, when he should be the first name in the centre. That is what we should be worrying about !!!

So killing our best midfielder to take up a spot we already have 2 players for, is gonna work wonders for us isn't It..

The lad is gradually getting pulled apart to fil gaps, when he should be the first name in the centre. That is what we should be worrying about !!!
Personally don’t think garner is our best midfielder. I do however think he has all the qualities to be a top level right back.

It was a great assist he needs to do it more often and get further forward

As soon as we equalised we revert back to cautious and defensive Everton again and we won’t win these type of games unless we take the risk more often and push further forward
Wasn't that great an assist was it. The gap to pass it across was huge. The magic for me came from Beto.
Great to see em all swinging together for once though.

(Sorry still fuming we drew against that dross, needed that win)

Wasn't that great an assist was it. The gap to pass it across was huge. The magic for me came from Beto.
Great to see em all swinging together for once though.

(Sorry still fuming we drew against that dross, needed that win)
It’s one of those crosses keepers hate cos they can’t come out to collect it was driven hard and low and completely left the keeper stranded

United had a good game plan (out of Luton and Burnley they look the only team that will compete but will struggle to score goals IMO), win the ball, play long to McBurnie and Archer (who gave Tarko a tough time) or the channels.

McBurnie and Archer stuck close to Branthwaite and Tarko so Young or Patterson had to tuck in for cover.

The issue i saw were zero cover on either flanks from Garner or Danjuma so they'd be left with a spare man or 2v1s. So if they won a duel or got a flick on our wide, it would end up 3v3 - the first goal came from that. Midfield not covering the wing because the fullback tucked in to cover the CBs who were pinned by the 2 up top.

The full backs have both been told to "tuck in" as you say. This is what seems to be messing with their heads as by playing full back then needing to move into being 3rd/4th centre backs...

...the opposition winger, or anyone choosing to move into the empty full back space has a free run to attack them.

Yes it’s been noticed that there is often a massive gap between the Everton midfield and defence, when out of possession. The midfield presses the opposition high but the defence doesn’t squeeze up behind them, leaving a space of 20-30 yards between them with sometimes only Gana in there. Is this happening because of lack of pace at the back? It’s the only reason I can think of. And out of the back 4, who lacks pace? Is it Tarkowski?

We are using a pressing midfielder (Gana) as a DM. He doesnt have the positional awareness for sitting and would rather be playing as a dog chasing a ball.

So, our midfield ends up miles in front of the defence because Gana just naturally follows the ball forwards and leaves space behind him.

Nobody was very good last season Zat, we were one penalty saved from going down.

Patterson looked very good compared to Coleman. The injuries impacted him progressing though.

I'm not sure it's a pace thing when Keane isn't playing. Today United played a 352 so the front 2 sat on out CBs which always means your fullbacks provide cover.

When that happens, you wingers or midfielders need to drop and cover the wing backs. That didn't happen much today.

Theres also the arguement Dyche wants them to cross into the box because we're awful at closing them down.

Garner is out of position defensively every game. Danjuma looks rusty but it seems like their roles under Dyche are to instantly and magically teleport back to a full back position while our full backs have made 4 centre backs.

In front of those 6 should be Gana but hes got no clue what day it is. A bit like a dog when he cant see where youve thrown the ball for a moment.

I don't think they're that deep. The 2 counters with Fulham and Wolves have been collective errors (not winning the ball high, not getting back, allowing crosses). Villa was a mess filled with errors. Today I think the midfield was poor.

To me someone like Gana should be the one that is in a position to always be back helping the CBs. I've not seen him do it once.

But the tactics are for the full backs to allow crosses (as theyve vacated the space) and ths centre backs to head / clear the ball.

Gana isnt the type to sit back as the anchor between midfield and defence. For starters he cant pass the ball so cant pick it up off the defence without looking isolated and lost.

He also has too much ground to cover due to the gap he created between defence and midfield by wandering off..

The second half today was the only time this season he's actually seemed to focus on playing DM.

As for the midfield playing badly...Gana was decent 2nd half, Onana was around motm and Doucoure didnt stop running.

The problem is that Dyche's tactics for both defence and midfield are causing confusion and gaps in 3 key areas.

1: Between defence and midfield
2: Right back position
3: Left back position

Id probably say a 4th issue is the 2 centre backs being crowded by their own full backs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back