2023/24 Nathan Patterson

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he's been poor this season tbh, doesnt help having Garner to help nor the shape/system Dyche has them playing.
But for every mistake he makes in a game ill show you two Gueye has made both before he left us and since he came back. And I'm a Gana fan.
We've been a bog standard team for the past 3 years and our defenders, including Pickford, make mistakes every game, its one of the reasons we've been in successive relegation battles and on course for another.
But, for some reason, this kid gets slated for every one he makes and never a word of praise when he does well.
The Young example is spot on, thought he was poor again today, especially in possession, and his decision making for a guy that has played over 20 years at the top level has been terrible, yet we won't see much flak being thrown his way, even though he's on twice the wage at least of Patterson.
If we're going to criticise at least be consistent.
He gets slated because he's been tripe.

I'm not sure it's a pace thing when Keane isn't playing. Today United played a 352 so the front 2 sat on out CBs which always means your fullbacks provide cover.

When that happens, you wingers or midfielders need to drop and cover the wing backs. That didn't happen much today.

Theres also the arguement Dyche wants them to cross into the box because we're awful at closing them down.
But it’s not just today that it’s been happening. The Centre Forward and midfield press high but the defence sits deep leaving a big gap.

Good assist and worked hard all game.

He needs to judge his pressing especially after that 2nd goal but when midfield just disappeared he just had a rush of blood to the head.

Screenshot_20230902_204318_Chrome.webp

Good assist and worked hard all game.

He needs to judge his pressing especially after that 2nd goal but when midfield just disappeared he just had a rush of blood to the head.
Someone needed to press the Sheffield player or he’s bringing the ball down, turning unchallenged and heading straight at Tarkowski or passing out to Archer. I’d be more inclined to ask where Gana was.

But it’s not just today that it’s been happening. The Centre Forward and midfield press high but the defence sits deep leaving a big gap.

I don't think they're that deep. The 2 counters with Fulham and Wolves have been collective errors (not winning the ball high, not getting back, allowing crosses). Villa was a mess filled with errors. Today I think the midfield was poor.

To me someone like Gana should be the one that is in a position to always be back helping the CBs. I've not seen him do it once.

He gets slated because he's been tripe.
I think you have been over critical of his performances in the past couple of years but anyone saying Patterson is doing more things right than wrong this season is living in dream land. I definitely think he can become a very good player, you might disagree and that's why we have forums, but at the moment he's Pistone levels.

I don't think they're that deep. The 2 counters with Fulham and Wolves have been collective errors (not winning the ball high, not getting back, allowing crosses). Villa was a mess filled with errors. Today I think the midfield was poor.

To me someone like Gana should be the one that is in a position to always be back helping the CBs. I've not seen him do it once.
I wonder what instructions they get off the manager.

You'd have been hard pressed today seeing a central midfield pairing from any two of the three.

Fortunately Sheffield Utd never had a player who could destroy a team by occupying that area of the pitch pulling strings.

Onana is given way too much license to roam.

I think you have been over critical of his performances in the past couple of years but anyone saying Patterson is doing more things right than wrong this season is living in dream land. I definitely think he can become a very good player, you might disagree and that's why we have forums, but at the moment he's Pistone levels.
If he does something right he gets praise. That cross today was spot on and deserved praise. The rest of his game was a shambles in the first half and - cross aside for the assist - not that much better in the second.

Why did he come over to the centre backs position for the 2nd causing Tarks to try to cover his position. Surely that's basic.

I agree he didn't need too but the swap didn't open up anything or allow a gap anywhere...it left a 2v3.

If you see Onana ambling back to close down Archer cutting inside is probably what I'd be looking at as a mistake.

Wasn't the first time in the game he was lazy closing down..

I wonder what instructions they get off the manager.

You'd have been hard pressed today seeing a central midfield pairing from any two of the three.

Fortunately Sheffield Utd never had a player who could destroy a team by occupying that area of the pitch pulling strings.

Onana is given way too much license to roam.
But that’s his game, that’s why I think he needs to work in a central midfield 4 with a defensive midfielder sitting behind him. Of course that means you can’t play ‘wingers’, just 1 off the Centre Forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back