2023/24 Nathan Patterson

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what instructions they get off the manager.

You'd have been hard pressed today seeing a central midfield pairing from any two of the three.

Fortunately Sheffield Utd never had a player who could destroy a team by occupying that area of the pitch pulling strings.

Onana is given way too much license to roam.

Disrupt in the opposing half mostly.

Then the player himself. I love seeing Onana using his go-go gadget legs to win a ball in a tackle....but his defensive awareness is awful.

Like I say he reminds me of Pogba without the flair. He got the same pelters but had skills that put your bets on him

But that’s his game, that’s why I think he needs to work in a central midfield 4 with a defensive midfielder sitting behind him. Of course that means you can’t play ‘wingers’, just 1 off the Centre Forward.

He works box to box....but I think you need to sacrifice Doucoure to get a better tune.

Like I've said in another thread...you swap Doucoure for a Gibbs White as an example of a player, let Gana sit...you can see how it would get more out them

Disrupt in the opposing half mostly.

Then the player himself. I love seeing Onana using his go-go gadget legs to win a ball in a tackle....but his defensive awareness is awful.

Like I say he reminds me of Pogba without the flair. He got the same pelters but had skills that put your bets on him
I'm hoping that the forward passes he's capable of making from midfield to the feet of a forward on the move is going to make it worthwhile keeping him in the middle. Beto's arrival could be what he needs in that respect. But there's way more than that to do in the middle. I dont like seeing him running into channels - that's our wide players jobs to cut out danger over there. Meanwhile there's a gaping hole in our midfield for any team that switches the ball quick enough to catch him out of position.

My question is this: WTF are the coaches and manager saying to him? They've worked with him for 8 months.

He works box to box....but I think you need to sacrifice Doucoure to get a better tune.

Like I've said in another thread...you swap Doucoure for a Gibbs White as an example of a player, let Gana sit...you can see how it would get more out them
I agree but I still think you’d need someone else in there to knit it together, to hold possession and control the tempo of the game. For example a ‘Paul Scholes’ type of player. Or I think it would still be disjointed.

I'm hoping that the forward passes he's capable of making from midfield to the feet of a forward on the move is going to make it worthwhile keeping him in the middle. Beto's arrival could be what he needs in that respect. But there's way more than that to do in the middle. I dont like seeing him running into channels - that's our wide players jobs to cut out danger over there. Meanwhile there's a gaping hole in our midfield for any team that switches the ball quick enough to catch him out of position.

My question is this: WTF are the coaches and manager saying to him? They've worked with him for 8 months.

It's parts of a whole isn't it. Doucoure does his job better (box to box goal threat) but is awful on the ball so it played futher. We don't have a player to fill that number 10ish role that Doucoure can be useful for.

There's also the awareness other the other teams mates when he gets forward. The he has his own issues to read danger.

He's young and still learning and he has traits that are useful. He just doesn't have the players around to fill in his detriments.

Got all the attributes to be a Viera type but doesn't seem to have the drive for the defensive work or the end product at the other end.

I hope it's just the fact he played 90 midweek but I thought he was very lazy today.

It's parts of a whole isn't it. Doucoure does his job better (box to box goal threat) but is awful on the ball so it played futher. We don't have a player to fill that number 10ish role that Doucoure can be useful for.

There's also the awareness other the other teams mates when he gets forward. The he has his own issues to read danger.

He's young and still learning and he has traits that are useful. He just doesn't have the players around to fill in his detriments.

Got all the attributes to be a Viera type but doesn't seem to have the drive for the defensive work or the end product at the other end.

I hope it's just the fact he played 90 midweek but I thought he was very lazy today.
Sooner or later Dyche is going to have to build the midfield suited to get the best from Onana or he’d be as well selling him.

If he gets fit and gets his head right Dele for Doucoure would suit Onana for that box to box role

Would be a nice option to have wouldn't it.
I wasn’t sure he’d get a go but Dyche brought him up a few times now so I think he’s in the plans
I think Dele is best playing off the CF. Dele playing off Beto would be nice
Definitely which is why I’d have him in for Doucoure and then Onana will be more box to box without Doucoure occupying some of that space
All pie in the sky of course, we may never see Dele

I'd like to see Danjuma in for Doucoure with Harrison & McNeil as the wide men.

Clever player Danjuma & would link up with Beto much more.
Yeah I think that’s our strongest front line once they’re all fit unless Dele is resurrected

Imagine the four you mentioned with options of Dom, Chermiti, Dobbin and maybe even Dele off the bench! Would be good

It's all comes down to coaching for me. I dont blame the player at all. He's very talented with a big future in the game.

We should be seeing Gueye and Onana as a pair by now. Gueye maybe has to do more on the pitch to achieve that and guide him as the senior player...but it really may be out of his hands. I just dont know if Dyche is encouraging Onana to be mobile about the pitch and gambling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back