2023/24 Nathan Patterson

Status
Not open for further replies.
It does make sense, you just don't want it to.
The problem on here as always with young players is that some of our fans make their mind up very early and don't want to be proven wrong.

Look how bad Coleman was in those first few games when he signed from Sligo.
The loan to Blackpool was the experience he needed and took him up to the next level.

I'm not saying this will definitely be true for Patterson, player development is very unpredictable, but straight up writing him off at this age is equally as premature just so you can say "Told you so" if he eventually flops.

But......

Coleman could actually defend. Even from the start. And he cost a famous 60 thousand pounds. Patterson simply has never shown an ability to defend. Someone had it right earlier - the lad has the football intelligence of a mince pie.

I do worry when it's blues piling on to defend a Red Rafael splurge of a mega transfer of what was undoubtedly made as a favour to his dear kopite mate Stevie G.

He is 21 years old and cost £12 million, you’ve just paid more for Chermiti, Beto, double for Mykolenko. So drop the “he cost us our transfer budget” nonsense.
I guarantee that if you look at the goals conceded by Everton, most, nearly all have came down the left hand side, the side opposite from Patterson. You’re just making it up now.

The hate in this thread for a relative rookie player typifies our fan base and is a prime reason why we won't be back at the level we want to be any time soon
It's mental. He's not set the world on fire but also not a disaster. Surely we should be routing for him. Ifhe comes good woube a massive asset to the club.

But......

Coleman could actually defend. Even from the start. And he cost a famous 60 thousand pounds. Patterson simply has never shown an ability to defend. Someone had it right earlier - the lad has the football intelligence of a mince pie.

I do worry when it's blues piling on to defend a Red Rafael splurge of a mega transfer of what was undoubtedly made as a favour to his dear kopite mate Stevie G.
Nope. He was poor at the start. Way out of his depth. That’s why he wasn’t played in defence and was played at RM.

Still no thoughts about how he performed in that Brighton game?

Look, I hate the FSW as much as the next sensible blue and detested him the entire time he was here. But let's be real here, Patterson was a highly rated youngster at the time and his signing made a lot of sense in the long term.
Has it worked out so far as well as we'd all of liked? No.
Ideally he wouldn't have been dropped in the deep end in an awful Everton team having to cover for a crocked Coleman and a geriatric Young.

I'd at least like to see him get a chance to gain some experience (likely elsewhere) and see what he can offer with that under his belt before completely writing him off.

He's likely never going to be fantastic defensively in all honesty, but that seems to be the trend with the modern fullback where attacking prowess is the more desirable trait (for right or wrong)

Look, I hate the FSW as much as the next sensible blue and detested him the entire time he was here. But let's be real here, Patterson was a highly rated youngster at the time and his signing made a lot of sense in the long term.
Has it worked out so far as well as we'd all of liked? No.
Ideally he wouldn't have been dropped in the deep end in an awful Everton team having to cover for a crocked Coleman and a geriatric Young.

I'd at least like to see him get a chance to gain some experience (likely elsewhere) and see what he can offer with that under his belt before completely writing him off.

He's likely never going to be fantastic defensively in all honesty, but that seems to be the trend with the modern fullback where attacking prowess is the more desirable trait (for right or wrong)

Mate he was only ever highly rated by Stevie G and the fat Spanish waiter. Does that not ring alarm bells? He played a handful of games in a league of comparable standard to League 1/League 2. That was it. His signing was an absolute disgrace.

Another decent cameo today these are the kind of introductions the lad should of been having the last 2 seasons not being thrown in and expected to perform. If this can continue for the rest of the season and towards the end he’s pushing to make that spot his own with assured performances I will be happy LB is still the biggest problem as we have a starter who’s crap and no cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back