New Everton Crest Confirmed

Will the new badge make you buy more of the Everton merchandise?

• Yes, I will buy more merchandise with this cool new badge.

Votes: 18 3.7%
  • No, I won't change how much I buy of the Everton merchandise because of the badge.

Votes: 67 13.6%
  • No, I will buy much less from the Everton store with this godawful load of ****e for a crest.

Votes: 368 74.8%
  • no tears, only cheese toasties now

Votes: 39 7.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The sad thing about all of this is that there are a load of sites/examples of graphic work such as this being crowdsourced. Threadless for instance get people to design and vote on their products before they're put into production. 99designs have been crowdsourcing designs for years now.
99designs is a bit of a nightmare to be honest (at least from my experience). A lot of non English speakers which makes it hard to communicate changes. If it's simple and they knock it out of the park first time you're good but if you have to go back and forth it's trouble.

That said I like the idea in principal as being handcuffed to a single designer (or team) isn't great either. Sometimes people just hit a wall and they aren't going to get it right no matter how long they work on it (but doesn't mean they are bad designers ... give them a completely different task and they could do an excellent job in no time). Hiring just one company is a risk. I've worked with designers who did a few tasks fantastically and I was over the moon then on the next task they turned in work so horrible that I couldn't believe the same person did the prior designs.

I think the best method (and I head up a design team as part of my job so I'm not entirely talking out of my arse) might be to source lots of ideas from anywhere you can get them (crowd sourced, open fan submissions, open call for designs put out to unis and design firms/industry websites etc) and then take a group of the best concepts and have the design team tweak them (with input from original designer if they work well with team) to "pro" them up.

The advantage of that method is that nobody is too attached to certain ideas and concepts because they aren't their ideas. From reading the website it's clear they got up their own asses on this one and couldn't see the forest for the trees. I've seen it be very personal at times and no matter how much you hammer on them they won't change certain aspects because they "know" what's right. You can see that even now the designers themselves aren't backing down even when the club have.

If you get five fairly equal designs at the end of it you might as well hold an open vote too. Good for PR and web hits etc.

All the detail on the current badge was an issue with manufacture. Want to ship lots of units and turn a quick (Nike) Buck ($$$) then sell out and forget your heritage and tradition. Hell if owners can change a clubs colours so totally to help rebranding and merch sales then how long before we're in red to help push the brand in China with the rest of them...

In 1913 the detail on the badge might have been an issue. Today, I suspect that this was a "dog ate my homework" excuse.
As for your final point, Cardiff have already been there!

elstone went ballistic with staff over fans early reaction to new crest. only back in last week after broken arm/shoulder.

So he F*cking should - if customers ( fans ) had that much public opinion on a product that had " input from fans " why was nearly half the capacity I Goodison park willing to sign a petition?

Embarrassing episode in Evertons history, HOWEVER. At least there is an apology; that cannot be ignored THAT takes balls for a public apology, a little bit of humility.

It was very strongly worded and not the usual cliche riddled tosh, that's from someone who had authority to commit that change, they have royally messed up, apologised and seen to ensure it won't happen again, how you ( some fans?) can't be happy with that I don't know?

Wait a second

Now I have your attention, can we now used the tatty old and disregarded club crest as our Avatar's and such like as it is no longer the official club crest?

Hahahahaha silver lining bihatch.

In 1913 the detail on the badge might have been an issue. Today, I suspect that this was a "dog ate my homework" excuse.
As for your final point, Cardiff have already been there!

[video=youtube;M2dhD9zR6hk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2dhD9zR6hk[/video]
Seconds 27-31 of the video, just for you.

99designs is a bit of a nightmare to be honest (at least from my experience). A lot of non English speakers which makes it hard to communicate changes. If it's simple and they knock it out of the park first time you're good but if you have to go back and forth it's trouble.

That said I like the idea in principal as being handcuffed to a single designer (or team) isn't great either. Sometimes people just hit a wall and they aren't going to get it right no matter how long they work on it (but doesn't mean they are bad designers ... give them a completely different task and they could do an excellent job in no time). Hiring just one company is a risk. I've worked with designers who did a few tasks fantastically and I was over the moon then on the next task they turned in work so horrible that I couldn't believe the same person did the prior designs.

I think the best method (and I head up a design team as part of my job so I'm not entirely talking out of my arse) might be to source lots of ideas from anywhere you can get them (crowd sourced, open fan submissions, open call for designs put out to unis and design firms/industry websites etc) and then take a group of the best concepts and have the design team tweak them (with input from original designer if they work well with team) to "pro" them up.

The advantage of that method is that nobody is too attached to certain ideas and concepts because they aren't their ideas. From reading the website it's clear they got up their own asses on this one and couldn't see the forest for the trees. I've seen it be very personal at times and no matter how much you hammer on them they won't change certain aspects because they "know" what's right. You can see that even now the designers themselves aren't backing down even when the club have.

If you get five fairly equal designs at the end of it you might as well hold an open vote too. Good for PR and web hits etc.

Aye, I've never used 99designs personally, but it's arguably the most well known crowdsourced design site. As you say though, plenty of things they can do to make the process a bit more inclusive.

Maybe now they've been bitten by their existing process they'll be inclined to try something a bit different.

newbadgealts.png

So he F*cking should - if customers ( fans ) had that much public opinion on a product that had " input from fans " why was nearly half the capacity I Goodison park willing to sign a petition?

Embarrassing episode in Evertons history, HOWEVER. At least there is an apology; that cannot be ignored THAT takes balls for a public apology, a little bit of humility.

It was very strongly worded and not the usual cliche riddled tosh, that's from someone who had authority to commit that change, they have royally messed up, apologised and seen to ensure it won't happen again, how you ( some fans?) can't be happy with that I don't know?

Missing the point Bryan - obviously happy with the apology (actually, as you say, I'm happier with the nature of the apology as it's very full on and comprehensive), but it doesn't mean we should be utterly delighted with it because this whole thing shouldn't have happened in the first place. It's not like a minor "uh oh" kind of thing that can be laughed off - like the "Riquelme signs" on the website or a rogue tweet about Man Utd from @Everton - this was a massive deal which upset thousands upon thousands of Everton fans.

Basically, people want to be re-assured that this won't happen again, not just that an apologise might come about afterwards if a similar balls-up were ever to re-occur.

Missing the point Bryan - obviously happy with the apology (actually, as you say, I'm happier with the nature of the apology as it's very full on and comprehensive), but it doesn't mean we should be utterly delighted with it because this whole thing shouldn't have happened in the first place. It's not like a minor "uh oh" kind of thing that can be laughed off - like the "Riquelme signs" on the website or a rogue tweet about Man Utd from @Everton - this was a massive deal which upset thousands upon thousands of Everton fans.

Basically, people want to be re-assured that this won't happen again, not just that an apologise might come about afterwards if a similar balls-up were ever to re-occur.

We all have reason to worry, but they said they will consult every single willing evertonian from what I read, can't be any more consultive than that can they?

I won't bear a grudge over it, the apology and promise to rectify it does it for me.

So the result of all this rubish is that we are stuck with this joke of a crest for a season. How could anyone think that crest would be any good?! Ignore the motto problem and everything else, it looks like a cartoon, ffs!

We all have reason to worry, but they said they will consult every single willing evertonian from what I read, can't be any more consultive than that can they?

I won't bear a grudge over it, the apology and promise to rectify it does it for me.

The very fact this thing actually happened and wasn't an April Fools joke just makes me worry about the club as a whole - they really are incompetent.

For this issue, the apology and promise to fix does the job for me too, but I'm not going to applaud them for it as it was their only legitimate option, not an act of bravery. That's the only point I'm making - let's not pretend they're heroes here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back