New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not quite sure I said the things you are implying .
Just said he won 4 trophies and as such deserved credit for winning those trophies. There’s always mitigating circumstances, for any manage, but let’s not do mental gymnastics over every good thing he’d done in last 10 years.

Equally let’s not get blinded by the fact that Benitez has won some trophies. He’s failed at other places, as most managers do, but more importantly isn’t a good fit and would be a divisive appointment.

Oh, fair enough mate. I must of miss read your post.

Complete agree.

Some failure that taking Bournemouth, Jesus Bournemouth!!!, with relegation to non-league threatened, to three promotions, into the top flight for the first time ever then keeping them there for a few years... even getting them into he top half of the league. It's one of the biggest coaching achievements in England this century.

Of course cycles come to an end, (Klopp had Dortmund near the bottom in his final year), some of the transfer business wasn't great and their two best forwards gave up and tried to leave the club... so it wasn't perfect.

But failed??? There will be a statue of him built there before he turns 50.
His team got relegated. That’s failure, irrespective of his undoubted successes in previous seasons.

Rafael is like a GOD to them as he won the champions league for them - if we hire Rafael (yes they can call him an Agent when we lose), but flags have his picture on them - his name is plastered on stuff. What do they bin the stuff? They are not happy if he takes the job, as this will dent Rafael status. Rafael knows all this and is prepared to take the job.

If we got brendan rogers, would they be bothered no....he does not have GOD like status with the fans (he would have if he had won the premiership with them).
Wasn’t just winning it was the way they won

so, you are telling other Evertonians to stop supporting Benitez, on the basis of evidence solely from your own subjective experience. I'm not sure why your take should trump those of others then who hold a different view. We all have our own perspectives, and can argue them. But you are attempting to portray your view as somehow factual, when it's just opinion.

No I am not saying that at all! Where are you picking that up from? I have not once said you should not support him. Fair play if you do.

My comments are not opinion, nor do they actually represent my personal thoughts on the situation. My personal thoughts are not a million miles away from yours but I am seeing the full picture and not some dream scenario.

It is a fact however that a large amount of our fans will not give him the time of day. That is a really big problem. We need unity (or as much as we can get, nobody is going to be 100% backed) not divisiveness. Fans like you will not be the issue. It will be the fans filled with anger and hate. As much as you support him that will not eradicate the fans who do not support him and those voices will be the loudest because they always are. This is not opinion, this is fact. An undeniable truth that would be incredibly dangerous to ignore.

I do feel like you (and others) are missing the point totally here. You will not silence the angry mob with your support of Benitez. It's too emotive a subject and therefore he would be on a hiding to nothing.

Is that any clearer? Maybe something got lost along the line here.

My guess is that the job is between Nuno or Martinez.

FSW was just more of the same, with his people leaking stuff to the press to drum up interest.

Nuno seems to come with a heavy entourage which I think there will be deep reservations about.

Galtier wants to stay in France.

Fonseca is taking the p*ss with wages.

I'll just assume Conte was first to be contacted and gave a swift rebuttal.

Martinez will have solid working relationships with people at the club, has shown growth as a coach with Belgium (though not on top of his head), and will likely keep Duncan and have an easier time keeping fans onside initially.

I think it will be Martinez.

Couldn't agree more. We've had 5 years as a very wealthy club albeit operating under a FFP system that Chelsea and Man City got in early enough to avoid or circumvent and really I feel just as frustrated about the Blues as i did when we didn't have much dosh at all. We thought Carlo was the answer but his actions a couple of weeks ago showed that when push came to shove he didn't have much class at all. There may have been family pressure in the background to leave but to have led 3/4 of a city up a garden path stating his love for the club, appreciation of the fan base and history, eagerness to build a competitive team and lead us into a new stadium told me that he really didn't care for any of that. I intensely disliked Benitez when he was across the park but I know that he is a very very good manager and importantly, settled on Merseyside. I think he does have integrity and really only left the Toon when he realised there was little or no financial support to match his ambition. I've said it before on this forum, but living in the south having moved down here in my 20s, Everton around the country are just not perceived as fashionable. I've even had southerners tell me that world-class players and managers will never sign for Everton despite the fact that they have signed for City. Benitez was my choice last time and I will be delighted if he is appointed. I understand the anger but ultimately he faced a similar challenge at Chelsea and led them to trophies. He is the best choice at the moment as most of the others would be high risk. At least Benitez understands football on Merseyside, the psyche of the people and hopefully what Evertonians demand of their team. He is high profile enough to attract top players and also to make sure the media cannot ignore us. At the risk of being shot down, I hope it happens and if it does we should all just get behind the manager and team and help the man get this club back on the map.
Well said, put in a sensible way.

Your question is not important as it was years ago and it still proves the point I am making.

You are just trying to pick an argument for no reason.
I’m not picking an argument. Just wondering why you were happy to keep on, one of the most clueless tactical managers we’ve ever had. Who also talked absolute rubbish after every shambolic performance. He finished 11th twice. With Lukaku up front.

Even koeman got 7th

the fans , me included want instant success and it ain’t happening. We also throwing names out left right and Center for the next manager. Get a stable manger who has won things and knows how to win. Ever week the fans all want a different manager because the name sounds fancy, half of us have never heard of them till their mentioned and then it’s like they are the best for the job

let brands do his job and we get behind who ever it is

In principle I totally agree!

Your last sentence aint happening though with Benitez, that is the issue. It would make things incredibly unstable and it would have nothing to do with his ability. It would be like throwing a bomb into an already shaky situation.

I am just being a realist.

Were they not anti Martinez protests?
Like we need anymore head patting....

Little Everton getting Rafael. Doing us a favour

I hate this narrative around our club
Unfortunately that is how we are currently seen in football.
We are a plucky mid table club that many believe has notions of grandeur.

We have acted as a midtable club for so long that we have almost forgotten to break out of that mould.

The appointment of CA was the first real step in waking the club back up.
When Carlo left us the media immediately reverted to type by associating us with Howe,Dyche Potter and even Nuno. Spurs were associated with Fonseca, Conte and God knows what other big named managers available.

The irony is we will almost definitely support our manager far better than them.

Benitez has been very successful in his career, it might not match Carlo exactly but certainly is right up there.
The two issues are the Liverpool connection(comments he previously about us) and of course will he be able to recreate his successes at Everton or is he somebody gone past his sell by date.

If I can ignore the Liverpool connection for just a second then Benitez would be my choice based on what he has acheived so far in his career and my belief that age is no barrier if the desire is still there.

That all said I would of course prefer Conte or Galtier but I am not sure there were ever on the table in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back