New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
ESPN, today. Rafael Benitez is reportedly on the verge of being named the new Everton manager. I heard it ten minutes ago.
I’ll be glad when something is sorted, the ones against him being here can have there moan while the euros are on then it will calm down for him to start his job at our little club lol

I reckon Moshiri is all in on Benitez and Blue Bill and Brands are sat there despairing. All conjecture of course but I can fully see him ignoring the fans and indeed logic based on a good interview.

Were they not anti Martinez protests?

Unfortunately that is how we are currently seen in football.
We are a plucky mid table club that many believe has notions of grandeur.

We have acted as a midtable club for so long that we have almost forgotten to break out of that mould.

The appointment of CA was the first real step in waking the club back up.
When Carlo left us the media immediately reverted to type by associating us with Howe,Dyche Potter and even Nuno. Spurs were associated with Fonseca, Conte and God knows what other big named managers available.

The irony is we will almost definitely support our manager far better than them.

Benitez has been very successful in his career, it might not match Carlo exactly but certainly is right up there.
The two issues are the Liverpool connection(comments he previously about us) and of course will he be able to recreate his successes at Everton or is he somebody gone past his sell by date.

If I can ignore the Liverpool connection for just a second then Benitez would be my choice based on what he has acheived so far in his career and my belief that age is no barrier if the desire is still there.

That all said I would of course prefer Conte or Galtier but I am not sure there were ever on the table in the first place.
Of all candidates mentioned Benitez has the best CV in terms of managing big clubs and winning trophies. However the emotional aspect is impossible to compartmentalise. I agree that if he’s appointed there will be a certain section of the fan base who will protest/boo etc at games. That alone makes me reluctant even though I have no particular personal animosity towards Benitez. Of course I was incensed by his comments years ago but he’s not really been on my radar for a decade or more.

Personally I would like Martinez back even though I’ll probably be regretting it by Christmas if it happens lol

No self respecting Evertonian would want Benitez any where near this club.

If you do you don’t support Everton FACT

There not 1 single reason to hire him, he’s a RS he’s there legendary manager, he managed the fekking barcodes who are just as bad as them.
He is well past it and plays negative football.
Goodison will be a horrible place.

Did anyone watch that Martinez documentary a couple of nights ago?

Made me ill listening to him waffle on and chat absolute bubbles about anything and everything. "Oh my chair, yes it's the greatest chair in the world isn't it" "oh my coffee cup, yes once this coffee cup came available it was the only coffee cup for me", "my pen? The transition of It from my pocket to my hand means I can't speak highly enough of it and it has a wonderful positive attitude when it glides across the note pad surface"

Martinez or Benitez, Benitez or Howe, Howe or Martinez, Martinez or Benitez.......give it to Rod, Jane and Freddie

Were they not anti Martinez protests?

Unfortunately that is how we are currently seen in football.
We are a plucky mid table club that many believe has notions of grandeur.

We have acted as a midtable club for so long that we have almost forgotten to break out of that mould.

The appointment of CA was the first real step in waking the club back up.
When Carlo left us the media immediately reverted to type by associating us with Howe,Dyche Potter and even Nuno. Spurs were associated with Fonseca, Conte and God knows what other big named managers available.

The irony is we will almost definitely support our manager far better than them.

Benitez has been very successful in his career, it might not match Carlo exactly but certainly is right up there.
The two issues are the Liverpool connection(comments he previously about us) and of course will he be able to recreate his successes at Everton or is he somebody gone past his sell by date.

If I can ignore the Liverpool connection for just a second then Benitez would be my choice based on what he has acheived so far in his career and my belief that age is no barrier if the desire is still there.

That all said I would of course prefer Conte or Galtier but I am not sure there were ever on the table in the first place.

Reasonable and balanced, nice one.

No I am not saying that at all! Where are you picking that up from? I have not once said you should not support him. Fair play if you do.

My comments are not opinion, nor do they actually represent my personal thoughts on the situation. My personal thoughts are not a million miles away from yours but I am seeing the full picture and not some dream scenario.

It is a fact however that a large amount of our fans will not give him the time of day. That is a really big problem. We need unity (or as much as we can get, nobody is going to be 100% backed) not divisiveness. Fans like you will not be the issue. It will be the fans filled with anger and hate. As much as you support him that will not eradicate the fans who do not support him and those voices will be the loudest because they always are. This is not opinion, this is fact. An undeniable truth that would be incredibly dangerous to ignore.

I do feel like you (and others) are missing the point totally here. You will not silence the angry mob with your support of Benitez. It's too emotive a subject and therefore he would be on a hiding to nothing.

Is that any clearer? Maybe something got lost along the line here.
yes I see the point you are making. Fair enough, but we will have to agree to disagree. My view is that if we play winning football this 'angry mob' will vanish to shrinking size.

90% of Blues dont want him because of the small club jibe / RS worship of the bloke.

Im not saying the football side isn't also a factor but the fact people say "I'll take Nuno/Potter" but "can not accept Benitez" when even factoring in recent poorvseasons for Benitez in terms of success he has still won no less than the other pair which makes me believe our fanbase just wont give him a chance.

The fans chased off Alladyce who did a better job than both Silva and Carlo with worse players and cost us millions in the process in terms of hiring and firing.
Don’t rewrite history Allerdyce did a awful job, Silva and Carlo both got more points then him

Howe is deffo also a kopite. Bournemouth used to have their World Cup finals at Goodison and the Etihad, and then turn up at Anfield and hand in a 5-0 resignation.
Howe lost all 10 of his matches against City in the PL by an aggregate of 28-5.

They did at least beat Liverpool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back