New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got to question anybody who would willingly choose to live on the Wirral imo.
he-said-what-f2e326378f.jpg

Then who we left with?

By the sounds of it, all these available managers either don't want to come or don't like the look of us.
In some regards I don't really care. Beneathus would pit the Fans against the Club and be out in 6 months, another god knows how many tens of millions wasted.

The big problem for me is we have been too ambitious for our position. We CAN attract big names if we massively overpay them and give them a contract they can walk away from, but they only come for the lack of a better offer. As soon as that offer arrives they are away as there is nothing to keep them.

We need to be at least in Europe before we make such signings. That's what City did, that's what Chelsea did. We need a platform that can sustain big players.

Any one we will be looking at now will either be playing us off against Spurs (for more reliable mangers) or Palace (for those who are riskier). I'm happy to bump the price up for Spurs and see what is left once they have signed someone. Literally anyone would be better than Beneathus.

If Benitez and Brands are going to work together on rebuilding the squad, and if he can make us hard to beat, then I think a lot of it will die down pretty quickly. He won things with them, but he's had so many jobs before and since that he just doesn't register with me as being so died in the wool Liverpool that others seem to. Like I've said, the fact he'd even put himself forward for it says as much. Klopp, Gerrard, Dalglish, Souness, etc, would never even consider it. And nor would I if they were genuine candidates.

2 of my favourite ever players played for them 1st, Don Hutchison and Peter Beardsley, and I didn't want either to begin with for the same reasons. But I associate them both with Everton now.

People will come around to it over time, I'm convinced. If Sammy Lee could take a post here and be humble about it, then I don't see why Benitez can't. The idea of Sammy Lee was far less palatable at the time, and to be fair to him, he gave his all and treated us with respect. He is far more red than Benitez will ever be. Same goes for Gary Abblet, not to mention Sheedy, Watson, and even Peter Reid, albeit never in a playing capacity.

If the idea is to replace Ancelotti with as like for like as you can get and to continue with the plan despite the huge setback we suffered when he walked, then you have to respect the plan and just hope it all works out.

Again, he wouldn't have been my 1st choice, but compared to some names mentioned, he is nowhere near the bottom either. By some way. And I can objectively see why he has been considered, if you look past the obvious.

I'd still be happy giving it to Ferguson, who is pretty much the polar opposite as far as appointments go, but that seems to have been equally divisive, albeit with much less vitriol. Similar applies with Martinez.

The only other option I've seen suggested that I would be more positive about of at this point in time would be Mancini, but I don't how realistic that 1 is. The rest have either been uninspiring or completely unrealistic.
He won’t work with Brands though will he? He’s a control freak, if he comes in Brands will have little or no influence on first team matters.

In some regards I don't really care. Beneathus would pit the Fans against the Club and be out in 6 months, another god knows how many tens of millions wasted.

The big problem for me is we have been too ambitious for our position. We CAN attract big names if we massively overpay them and give them a contract they can walk away from, but they only come for the lack of a better offer. As soon as that offer arrives they are away as there is nothing to keep them.

We need to be at least in Europe before we make such signings. That's what City did, that's what Chelsea did. We need a platform that can sustain big players.

Any one we will be looking at now will either be playing us off against Spurs (for more reliable mangers) or Palace (for those who are riskier). I'm happy to bump the price up for Spurs and see what is left once they have signed someone. Literally anyone would be better than Beneathus.

largely agree with this, Ancelotti wasn't the wrong manager, just got him at the wrong time, too early, we were not far enough down the road.

We’d be ‘enduring’ whatever manager came in. That’s the reality of where this squad is at. Any manager would still have had to use Keane Coleman Siggurdson Davies Gomes extensively. They’re utter donkeys who can’t/won’t play football for anyone no matter what their philosophy.

At least Benitez will bring some discipline to what is one of the most unprofessional squads in the league. For me this is just a bridging period, a season or two of hard medicine to put us in a position where an actual decent manager that we want could take us forward.

Moshiri can’t risk much else though, imagine giving this lot to a manager with no proven background in the premier league or of working with poorer players, they’d have him under the bus by December like they did with Silva.

The finger of blame can be pointed in all sorts of places Moshiri, Koeman/Walsh, Brands, but the harsh harsh reality is that we have a squad of very poor players (some I’ve listed not even premier league standard) and thanks to FFP we’ve got no real way of changing that quickly. We just can’t give the train set to a manager that’s a gamble now, as difficult as that is for some fans to accept.

I don’t want Benitez as much as the next bloke but I’m not shocked at all that the short list looked like Nuno, Moyes, Benitez. Imagine Potter with this lot! We’re an injury or two to Docuoure or Calvert Lewin away from having the worst mid field and front line in the league, if Pickford from first half of last season turns up we would be in the relegation mix.

For me it looks like Moshiri has gone for the lowest risk option. I can’t blame him for that because I wouldn’t trust these players an inch either, they’re a Frankenstein squad, an utter abomination that are a disgrace to the club. What I do blame him for is that he’s presided over this whole mess for the last five seasons.
I find some of your comments on players astonishing. Let me comment on the players you singled out:
Keane; England international, whom Ancelotti (a decent judge) rated. Improved last season after a second season wobble.
Coleman; A leader in the estimation of anyone who's worked with him. Even at this stage in his career is capable of making a difference in team effectiveness. Less able than he was to get up and down, but never downs tools.
Sigurdsson; I am very critical of him, because of his one-paced jogging around the pitch. Covers ground, but doesn't effect play enough. Still a creator, though, and has a skill-set that belies your donkey tag.
Davies; Ancelotti was extremely negative about him at first. But admitted he is a worker and someone who is always striving to improve. Again, the word from people who know and work with him is that he's a really good pro, if not the scouse Messi.
Gomes; On his day shows great technique and ball-holding. Slow on the turn, and his recovery pace, never a strength, has reduced since injury. Could be a stand-out in a slower league, but nobody has ever criticised his professionalism.

That was your next point, where you accused the whole squad of unprofessionalism. Really? Based on what? Do you see them in training? Do you see how they eat and live? I am always amazed how people can slag strangers with a public profile and accuse them of things of which they can have no knowledge.

I'd agree with a lot of your points on the management options, although Benitez is suspect in terms of temperament. He will go to war in public with his bosses, and constantly falls out with lots of people. But he is strong on discipline. It would still stick in my craw to support him, but that's what I'd do if appointed.

But rather than damn our whole squad, wouldn't it be more constructive to highlight leadership amongst the players as the missing ingredient? We're crying out for a Peter Reid, or an Andy Gray; someone to inspire and galvanise the players. I think we have a lot of nice, polite young men in the squad, and could do with more aggression and fire. But your character assassinations here just go too far for me. And maybe the leaders we need are there, waiting to be unleashed. Godfrey? Allan? Even the Tom Davies whom you clearly despise.

No manager could possibly follow your advice and regard (or maybe throw out?!) the whole squad as 'poor players'. There will need to be a mixture of coached improvement, positional/mindset changes, targeted replacement and tactical tweaks. I don't underestimate the challenge, hence I would favour someone more like Galtier or even Potter, noted for player development. But I couldn't let your damning post pass any more than I can always keep quiet when some foam-flecked fool next to me at the match kicks off on a player whose skills and athleticism he could only match in his dreams.

Gomon, you sensible sod you! :/

Status
Not open for further replies.