New Everton Stadium

Erm....I think you'll find that you have to stand on the spot allocated if introduced........

Is that right?

It's a pity we can't just go back to terracing with proper stantions. Everyone knows years ago the stantions were few & far between. Continuous stantions the full width of the terrace every 2 metres. Keep the steps clear. Job done. No need for seats.

Sadly, we'll never see that in the EPL.

Last edited:
Is that right?

It's a pity we can't just go back to terracing with proper stantions. Everyone knows years ago the stantions were few & far between. Continuous stantions the full width of the terrace every 2 metres. Keep the steps clear. Job done. No need for seats.

Sadly, we'll never see that in the EPL.

The problem is if you had pure terracing for european games etc. that whole section would be out of action, thus reducing the capacity.

Rail seats you just stand infront of your allocated seat which will be locked in the upright position. As time goes on you may have 1.2 to 1.5 fans per seat as they try to sqeeze more people in per row as it becomes accepted as safe. It will be far better than terracing as least you will have a bit of breathing room around you, not pleasent getting squashed in from all sides especially when a few have had one too many. Like you say the only bad bit is that you can't all stand where you want but if the ratio does go to like 1.5 per seat it may be possible to get your mates in the same row. I'm sure people won't mind where they stand within the row so there may be some give and take. There is also a chance that they may not allow you to buy season tickets in the safe standing section so you can just buy the number of tickets you want...

The problem is if you had pure terracing for european games etc. that whole section would be out of action, thus reducing the capacity.

Rail seats you just stand infront of your allocated seat which will be locked in the upright position. As time goes on you may have 1.2 to 1.5 fans per seat as they try to sqeeze more people in per row as it becomes accepted as safe. It will be far better than terracing as least you will have a bit of breathing room around you, not pleasent getting squashed in from all sides especially when a few have had one too many. Like you say the only bad bit is that you can't all stand where you want but if the ratio does go to like 1.5 per seat it may be possible to get your mates in the same row. I'm sure people won't mind where they stand within the row so there may be some give and take. There is also a chance that they may not allow you to buy season tickets in the safe standing section so you can just buy the number of tickets you want...

So those seats are locked?? I had thought that people will start standing on them, causing problems.

They're either all locked up or all locked down for the entire section, so you have an all seated or all standing area. I believe there is a maximum allowance of 1.5 standing spaces for every seat space so I'd imagine a standing ticket would have at least a row allocated to it.

Sad state of affairs. No one would argue the tragedy of Ibrox & Hilsborough, but this nonsense just shows what happens when you allow people with no experience of the subject to have an opinion. Heard that Angel Eagle sticking her oar in today.

Anyone who ever stood on a terrace 30 years ago knows the problem was the barriers were few & far between. So any action, you were shuffling. It was great TBF, but clearly dangerous. Proper strong barriers across the full terrace every 2-3 steps, job done.

Sad state of affairs. No one would argue the tragedy of Ibrox & Hilsborough, but this nonsense just shows what happens when you allow people with no experience of the subject to have an opinion. Heard that Angel Eagle sticking her oar in today.

Anyone who ever stood on a terrace 30 years ago knows the problem was the barriers were few & far between. So any action, you were shuffling. It was great TBF, but clearly dangerous. Proper strong barriers across the full terrace every 2-3 steps, job done.

As someone who did, it could also be terrifying. Just looking at any random home goal scored in front of the home end in the 70s and 80s, and the surges of 000's of mainly blokes cascading down the terraces......different days.

..even as a kid I could never understand the fascination of standing on the terraces. Growing up I much preferred to sit and watch my footy and that has never changed. I would prefer never to see the return of terraces but I appreciate others feel quite passionately in favour of safe standing. If that's what they want it's fair enough but never for me.

I'm the same. Done both and quite happy sitting now. Would certainly never take my lad on a terrace.

I think people are forgetting that the whole ground would not be safe standing. If you want to go to the match and sit then there will be seats, if you've want to go to the match and stand you'll be able to. Pretty simple really.

I think people are forgetting that the whole ground would not be safe standing. If you want to go to the match and sit then there will be seats, if you've want to go to the match and stand you'll be able to. Pretty simple really.

Not sure anyone's suggesting the whole stadium would be safe standing are they?

..even as a kid I could never understand the fascination of standing on the terraces. Growing up I much preferred to sit and watch my footy and that has never changed. I would prefer never to see the return of terraces but I appreciate others feel quite passionately in favour of safe standing. If that's what they want it's fair enough but never for me.

Ashton Gate home end was not in a million years anything like the big grounds, but even so, my Dad and his mate would plonk me and me mate right at the front, behind the goal, at about 1.30, chip off for a pint or two, then cheerily meet us as we came out of the ground. Often having witnessed/survived invasions from West Ham/United/Leeds etc etc fans with the obvious fights and surges that always entailed.

Thought nothing of it. Like I said, different days.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back