New Everton Stadium

..absolutely. The Kippax experience after Bryan Hamilton's goal was enough, didn't know for 3 minutes that it'd been disallowed.

True that!! I went to that game with a mate, was stood next to him until about five minutes into the game, massive surge down the terrace and never saw him again until outside after the game finished!

..even as a kid I could never understand the fascination of standing on the terraces. Growing up I much preferred to sit and watch my footy and that has never changed. I would prefer never to see the return of terraces but I appreciate others feel quite passionately in favour of safe standing. If that's what they want it's fair enough but never for me.
Couldn't agree more Eggs, I would never want to go through that again. Sometimes (in the fifties when I was just a kid) you never saw any of the game, just spent the whole time trying not to lose your footing and get trampled on.

Couldn't agree more Eggs, I would never want to go through that again. Sometimes (in the fifties when I was just a kid) you never saw any of the game, just spent the whole time trying not to lose your footing and get trampled on.

Dead right. I still have a scary memory of a seething mass of people at Birmingham City ...when you're ten years old and in the middle of it....wow....

Dead right. I still have a scary memory of a seething mass of people at Birmingham City ...when you're ten years old and in the middle of it....wow....
1978? I was there with my mate. We were both 14 and our first visit to Brum from Hereford. He somehow managed to cut his hand badly on the fencing keeping up in. Very scary.

1978? I was there with my mate. We were both 14 and our first visit to Brum from Hereford. He somehow managed to cut his hand badly on the fencing keeping up in. Very scary.

Early 50s in my case ! The terracing at most grounds was very scary....but St Andrews stood out...so did WHL ,for the intimidating mass of people. Nothing really changed for 40 years ,and it was only Hillsborough that led to change. I'm amazed that in the early years of watching football, for me, 1947 to the end of the 60s,there were not a lot more serious accidents. I personally, even if I was fit enough, would not go back to standing out of choice. Todays prices should always include a seat, at least.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back