New Everton Stadium

I read that suntan bob statement and nothing screams it's off. Just standard guff with the usual added caveats.

The difference between the other attempted ground moves to this one is still night and day, we are driving this one whereas the others we were clinging on to the coattails of another developer/company with little to offer than the sale of Goodison.

Got to have hope Dave. It will happen.
I hope it does too mate. However, the tone and wording of that letter was very much (and at best): "this is not as easy as first thought and it'll be a lot longer to get through".

You know the most alarming word that leapt out of that statement was "inflation".

When someone starts talking the influence of that one up you know either that this is on the back burner or the jig is up. It's a typical excuse that those with cold feet on projects reach for.

The past failures are separate from this project though. In past failures we didn't have a Billionaire owner at the back of us. In past failures we didn't have the TV money as an extra boost to our yearly finances which provide even more security for us.

It's like saying Man City could never possibly win the league once they got the money because they'd failed on the pitch for so long before that. Things change, and things have changed in terms of the resources at EFC now Moshiri is here.

We also had a debt and a charge on our future ticket sales. Don't know where I read it (or if it's correct) but costs were estimated to be 20% higher than expected so that's 60 million more, we've spent half of that hiring and firing managers in the last 2 years.

You're making out like these things are one offs with huge Stadium projects lol.

"funding target has escalated significantly...

What about Wembley?..."Multiplex does not expect its own extra costs will go beyond the stated £183m, but the overall figure of £962.4m is expected to rise further."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2006/feb/24/newsstory.sport2

Or what about Spurs' new Stadium?

"The cost of Tottenham Hotspur’s new North London stadium has ballooned to more that £1 billion, making it the most expensive football construction project in the UK, costing even more than West Ham’s Olympic Stadium, built for the 2012 Olympics and remodelled into the London Stadium for the Hammers."

http://www.insideworldfootball.com/2017/12/04/spurs-new-stadium-costs-top-1bn-expensive-ever-uk/

...It’s a challenge...

Again, because no new stadiums face new challenges do they Dave?

Initially Spurs’ 61,500 seat stadium was hoped to come in at £400 million but costs soon reached £750 million. The new cost hike is attributed the complexity of the build, according to a report in the Mail.

Something that is very misleading is that the original £400m price was for the original design from like 10 years ago. The press twisted that figure to it's extreme, not only was that initial price from ages ago it was also for a completely different design by different people.

The price of our stadium has actually gone from an estimated £750m to £1b but that also includes the hotel and the residential high rise buildings.

I think his point is its Everton.

We screw up Stadium moves and have plenty of form for it.

Past failed moves have no relevance to this project though. We have far more money at the back of us now than we did previously and that is a fact. In 2015, Bill Kenwright was worth £33m (not sure of the exact figures currently). Farhad Moshiri has a current net worth of £1.8bn and we now have a significant source of extra money from the huge TV deal for Premier League clubs.

Unlocking Liverpool Waters. I thought I had explained to you how the LCC SPV thing derisked the project for the big boys to play? The CWG was a fig leaf to allow LCC to do that, and the #1 reason AU freed up Moshiri to pitch up here is that; my conjecture, granted, but with every step, it puts another tick in that box.

Elstone and Mayor Joe today. Coincidence?
But they're all sold as drivers for parties outside the club's own stadium requirements. It's not unusual to this scheme that there's other objectives attached.

As for Anderson piping up in the wake of Elstone: he's issued that as a means to support Elstone's claim that all parties were moving forward together. Nothing more significant than that, imo.

Dave,
no doubt you'll call me a fool or a supreme optimist, but I feel fairly confident that all your doubts and negativity towards the current stadium project are going to be blown asunder comfortably by the end of January... if not before !!

Maybe then, you will get on board and start talking the club up ??
I look forward to that moment. I really do.

But from that statement today I'm struggling how you arrive at that conclusion.

Something that is very misleading is that the original £400m price was for the original design from like 10 years ago. The press twisted that figure to it's extreme, not only was that initial price from ages ago it was also for a completely different design by different people.

The price of our stadium has actually gone from an estimated £650m to £1b but that also includes the hotel and the residential high rise buildings.

You would know far more on that than I would so I can go along with what you've said there. But my point was that these projects often throw up obstacles and challenges and they are inevitable. Some on here are knee jerking about the use of the words "challenge" etc when challenges were always likely to arise.

Funny, I'd actually be more reassured by this cautious, realistic sounding statement from the club - even if it does mean things are moving a bit slower than some expected - than from the Mayor's triumphalist tweets. I mean, wouldn't Liverpool would be hosting the Commonwealth Games in five years if his tweets were anything like reliable?

Being a Spurs fan you wouldn’t understand how much crap comes out of Elstones mouth.

He does not answer questions but talk a load of rubbish offering miss direction and hogwash so learned a long time ago that he talks nothing but breeze.

He would be the type of person that would tell you all the challenges he faces to get the sun to rise in the morning.

He released a statement and we are none the wiser on exactly where we are or what the next steps are going to be

But they're all sold as drivers for parties outside the club's own stadium requirements. It's not unusual to this scheme that there's other objectives attached.

As for Anderson piping up in the wake of Elstone: he's issued that as a means to support Elstone's claim that all parties were moving forward together. Nothing more significant than that, imo.

Well lets see. I have some experience in commercial property, less than some on here granted, and as far as I can tell, anyone with any experience in it all have the same broad brush conclusion on whats going on.

Others clamber over old sores without taking their blinkers off.

You would know far more on that than I would so I can go along with what you've said there. But my point was that these projects often throw up obstacles and challenges and they are inevitable. Some on here are knee jerking about the use of the words "challenge" etc when challenges were always likely to arise.
It would be a lie to call building a modern stadium anything except a big challenge. Levy has said similar things plenty of times.

Some on here seem to be taking the first show that this will be a challenge more negatively then it needs to be. I wouldn't be concerned about our owners being honest about how hard it will be.

I hope it does too mate. However, the tone and wording of that letter was very much (and at best): "this is not as easy as first thought and it'll be a lot longer to get through".

You know the most alarming word that leapt out of that statement was "inflation".

When someone starts talking the influence of that one up you know either that this is on the back burner or the jig is up. It's a typical excuse that those with cold feet on projects reach for.

If we had Kenwright/Earl and Green as our backers I would be 100% behind you on that. At the end of the day if it gets very sticky Moshiri will inject the cash needed with alterations to reduce costs (perhaps a smaller capacity?) that will push it through. It would be the easiest way to make the money back.

You're making out like these things are one offs with huge Stadium projects lol.

"funding target has escalated significantly...

What about Wembley?..."Multiplex does not expect its own extra costs will go beyond the stated £183m, but the overall figure of £962.4m is expected to rise further."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2006/feb/24/newsstory.sport2

Or what about Spurs' new Stadium?

"The cost of Tottenham Hotspur’s new North London stadium has ballooned to more that £1 billion, making it the most expensive football construction project in the UK, costing even more than West Ham’s Olympic Stadium, built for the 2012 Olympics and remodelled into the London Stadium for the Hammers."

http://www.insideworldfootball.com/2017/12/04/spurs-new-stadium-costs-top-1bn-expensive-ever-uk/

...It’s a challenge...

Again, because no new stadiums face new challenges do they Dave?

Initially Spurs’ 61,500 seat stadium was hoped to come in at £400 million but costs soon reached £750 million. The new cost hike is attributed the complexity of the build, according to a report in the Mail.
That's not the point being made though. It's a retreat from where we were led to believe we were at. There's nothing there in Elstone's letter that hands you anything tangible. No firm dates on release of designs, no detail on what costs we face, no imminent announcement promised on PP.

It looks for all the world to me and I'm sure others that this is a typical u-turn being prepared.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back